GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard the Public Service commercial on radio with the sound of an HD and the announcer says, "Thats the sound of an American motocycle" then he says "and this is it with a drunk rider" and the bike gets pulled over with sirens whaling. Then they say (paraphrasing cant remember all of it" "Law Enforcement is watching for drunk motorcycle riders, Drunk Driving. Over the Limit. Under Arrest Drunk Driving."
I dont endorse drinking and riding but that sure sounded like a jab at HD riders who bar hop.
They played it every commercial break on the overnight trucker show on WLW 700 am out of Cincinnati (XM 152)
(Insert smart remark here)
Can they harrass wingers for DQ stops? "OK, drop the Oreo Blizzard and no one gets hurt"
:lol:

·
Registered
628 Posts
That doesn't affect me, I live in a "dry" county. Our only Dairy Queen closed down a couple of years ago:a13:!!!!

·
Registered
19,057 Posts
are not most riders who frequent bars legally drunk regardless of brand?:eek:

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Probably because if they used the sound of a Gold Wing the average person would not know what it was. :shrug:

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would prefer law enforcement stay focused on drunk cagers - they seem to do more damage. Don't agree with drinking and operating moving equipment in any situation.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I think the LEO would be saying,"Drop that Oreo Blizzard cup." I'm sure the evidence would be gone at that point.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Around here if they really wanted to catch drunk /drinking M/C riders all they would have to do is follow a couple of poker runs.....;)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Don't they know you can't film just one commercial. You need one for the HD, one for the touring bikes, sport bikes, etc etc., THEN you need to have a white person on one, black, asian, hispanic, etc. or someone is going to complain. (kind of like what the OP is basically doing)

Good God! Just move on and stop reading more into the message than what was intended.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Maybe it has more to do with Geography than bike brands...:shock:

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't they know you can't film just one commercial. You need one for the HD, one for the touring bikes, sport bikes, etc etc., THEN you need to have a white person on one, black, asian, hispanic, etc. or someone is going to complain. (kind of like what the OP is basically doing)

Good God! Just move on and stop reading more into the message than what was intended.
It was a radio ad NOT TV. The ad said in the first line, "This is the sound of a popular American motorcycle, and this is the sound of the same motorcycle with a rider who is drinking (add sirens).

It was directed, needlessly, at HD riders. More of the bad stereotype that all HD riders are drunks. It doesnt matter what motorcycle it is, drinking on one is plain stupid. There doesnt seem to be a real need to target HD riders.

Im complaining that the entire motorcycle community gets a black eye on this one. There is plenty to read into this ad.

Ive been harrassed by a state trooper at a sobriety checkpoint. He insisted I was drunk. I dont even drink. When a local cop told the trooper I was (then) the local CMA chapter president he replied, "all these bikers drink" Letting a PSA run like that just allows the overall sterotype to grow.

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,733 Posts
Let them focus on the loud bikes. That way, when I pull out, they leave me alone. :thumbup:

·
Registered
160 Posts
are not most riders who frequent bars legally drunk regardless of brand?:eek:

No. Legally drunk is a blood alcohol limit over the speciified amount .08 in IL and a lot of other states.

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
Any motorcycle natural resting point is on it's side.....we don't need to do anything to help it get there....be it drinking, not enough sleep, medication, etc.

One reason I don't do many poker runs or charity runs...most have bar stops...not my thing.

If it's for a good cause, I'll make a donation and ride away....

Be safe all

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I'm often drunk on the bike, but it's from a natural high!

If I'm on the bike, no booze at all. Even one deadens your senses and increases reaction time. Riding is dangerous enough already.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Speaking of commercials. When is Honda going to come out with the Gold Wing commercial. Could you imagine the background and the music they could put to this thing. I wish i could narrate it.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
...Sounds like their commercial would be more accurate if the sound you heard AFTER the pipes were a WRECK then the sirens.

:nojoke:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Speaking of getting harassed at the DQ stop. The news had a story in which they interviewed one of the elected officials about the governments interest in taxing soda because it is not good for you and you must be stopped from drinking it. The person felt the only way to stop you from drinking pop was to hit you hard in the pocket book. Since DQ most likely is not any better for you than pop that may be next.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts