GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's been about a year now since I installed my first CT on the 2010 GW.

I really don't think about it much any more. The tire and the bike are very happy with each other.

What I did find interesting was when I rented a 2014 HD Ultra Limited in Kona, HI for my wife and I to spend the day touring the Big Island, was just how rough of a ride both the wife and I found the stock HD Dunlop D407 Rear MC Tire. I even got off and checked it a couple of time to ensure it was correctly inflated.

I noticed NO change or improvement in cornering on the MC tire. Other then the quality of ride, there really was nothing to report.

I was rather chocked to find that the TPMS was disabled by the HD Dealer who we rented our bikes from. When we returned the bikes I pointed the out to the service manager, who reported that it was likely NOT set up upon delivery. "Nice!!", I said, "Given that the south west side of the big Island is a long ways from anything!!". He did promise to look into it.

So after a year what have I to report? Only that I spent way too much time thinking about installing the Aplin then I needed to. I live in a rain forest back at home and the Aplin is the goto tire for the rain. Every summer trip we seem to run into road construction and that it has either rained or the construction company is paying some farm kid by the gallon to keep all the dirt sections of the road wet and muddy. It's kinda fun to see the look ADV Bikes when they see the Aplin do the tractor thing in the mud.

"What the Hell you got on the back of that thing?!?!"
"It's a snow tire Dude, We live in Canada and it snows there!!"

At every bike stop, sooner or later some brave soul will walk up and ask.
"Is that a car tire you got on your wing?"
"Yup, and it's a run flat too. Will never leave the house without it!"

I expect when I need another, it will be another Aplin, however, as the dam thing still looks new and the stock E3 was almost all a worn out with the same mileage, I don't expect I will need a new Aplin this year! :)

PS I really like the G709 on the front.

Rick

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Great story. I think people think and make too much about the ct. It really is not that big a deal. But it is big enough that I would never go back to a mt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
IronMan
17,452 Posts
:agree::agree: AINT FOR EVERYONE BUT SURE WORKS GREAT FOR ME !! LOT OF RIDERS FIRST RESPONCE IS WONT WORK OR NOT MADE FOR BIKE . SOME EVEN TOOK COUPLE YEARS TILL THEY TRIED. NO USE AND NOTHING BUT GOOD THINGS TO SAY ! :bow:

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
The car tire on rear of a wing just works great. I just can't see how some people can't adapt to the slight difference in the feel --- but that is their business, so enough said about that. I have found far more difference in the feel of one motorcycle to the next, than from a simple rear tire change on a wing.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi Rick. Thanks for the review. my experience is the same. Mounted it and forgot it! My brother reminds me occasionally that I will crash and burn but so far it is not an issue. Just bought a new Alpin for my spare rim. Tires Unlimited was by far the cheapest place in Victoria, which surprised me!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hi Rick! Do you have the metallic black Wing? I think I talked to you while waiting for the Coho ferry in Port Angeles. Did Tires Unlimited put the tire on the rim too? Cliff.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Rick! Do you have the metallic black Wing? I think I talked to you while waiting for the Coho ferry in Port Angeles. Did Tires Unlimited put the tire on the rim too? Cliff.
Yes, well Metallic Dark Grey. And if I had a cute blonde with me, that is Sandra my wife, the Kiwi Princess.

Since that trip I have also installed a Dark WindBender HP 15" and smoked out lenses for the turn signals.
I guess I got a little carried away with the DarkSide :)

I picked up the tire at West Coast Tire and got it installed at www.adrenalinmotorcycle.com for free as I am member.

I will need to check the prices at tires Unlimited the next time. I would expect if I took the wheel off there would be no problems getting it installed for my Mini Cooper :)

BTW if ever you want to change bikes and try the Alpin just let me know. However, I have also done the mono tubes, all balls, Rocky's lower triple tree and installed centramatics. So this bike is a very nice ride indeed. I have a progressive rear spring yet to be installed. I want to take the bike and the Kiwi Princess to Mexico this fall and with the Topes (Mexico Speed bumps) I am looking for all the clearance I can get.

Rick

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Thanks for the report! Have a safe riding season.:thumbup:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi guys. I bought my latest Alpin at Tires Unlimited and had it installed today. No hassle! The front end guy came out and asked me why I liked a snow tire rather than summer on the motorcycle. I had not told them it was a motorcycle rim. I asked if they were concerned about mounting on a m/c rim and he said no. Great service and best price I could find on the Alpin, locally.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi guys. I bought my latest Alpin at Tires Unlimited and had it installed today. No hassle! The front end guy came out and asked me why I liked a snow tire rather than summer on the motorcycle. I had not told them it was a motorcycle rim. I asked if they were concerned about mounting on a m/c rim and he said no. Great service and best price I could find on the Alpin, locally.
Hi John, just curious how much for the Aplin?

Rick

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Review

Thanks for a good report. I'm sure as you add up the miles and years you will be more impressed. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts