GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 02 that already had the factory CB antenna installed. So changing to Sierra's dual antenna's was obvious. The wife has a 04 ordered to replace a Valkyrie Interstate. She wants to see dual antenna's. Do you have to purcahse a CB antenna to then only use the mount to be able to use the dual antenna's from Sierra. I already know how the Sierra antenna's work. AM/FM becomes AM/FM/CB with a splitter and the factory antenna becomes a dummy. The question is about the mount only. TIA!

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
If she wants dual antennas, I'd go with a dedicated CB antenna, since the splitter reduces AM reception. I went with the splitter so I'd not have to mount another antenna.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Better late then never......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
306 Posts
This is just too funny!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
I had to check what my wife put in my coffee when I was trying to read the date of the original post! :coffee1:

I just installed the dual antenna setup to replace my 5 year old antennas. Works great here in LaLa Land. Radio reception (AM or FM) is not a problem at all. I'm sure this will change in areas where radio transmission is not as strong

I have wondered why Sierra, doesn't offer a fully functional separate CB and AM/FM antenna's set instead of the splitter box as an option for those who already have or desire dual antenna setups.

I guess one could order a 2nd Sierra AM/FM/CB antenna and use it in lieu of the dummy antenna and hook everything back up as it would be with the normal Honda radio antenna setup...

·
Registered
983 Posts
two and three foot Sierra dual antenna

Anyone know if there is Any difference in the reception or in this case is it for looks only?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Stick with the Honda antennas

Went to the Serrias after so much talk on this board. Lost too much in the Serria set up and sold them to a buddy of mine that wanted them and I went back to the Honda set up. He didn't make the summer with them and sold them and went back to his Honda antennas.
Tough to beat a well tunned and grounded Honda set up if you want that balanced good look the Honda antennas provide.
I know there are other options out there that will enhance the the out put and reception of the Honda CB and radio but most are gaudy and not what I wanted for appearance on my Wing.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I love this board!
the things I find are usefull and entertaining.
responding to a seven year old post, what a gas!!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Grounding CB

Farmer Jack, what did you do to "ground" your antenna?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Antenna Grounding

I took a 14 - 16" piece of 16ga multi-strand wire and bared the end about 3/4" and carefully placed it in the female end of the antenna connection while pluging the male end into the connector for the antenna. I added a suitable connector end for a 1/4" bolt to the other end.
I removed the top front saddlebag bolt, filed the paint off the frame and put the connector between the bag and the frame and retightened the bolt.
Setting the SWR was a breeze at nearly 1:1 when before adding the ground wire I was 2:1 or 3:1 on the SWR match.
Currently able to talk around 6 miles in the open areas and 2 1/2 - 3 miles in the conjested areas with a CB that has little to no ground plane to work with.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Antenna Grounding

Just to be clear, you added a heavy gauge wire from the antenna to a better ground bolt? In effect adding a second larger to ground contact.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Anyone know if there is Any difference in the reception or in this case is it for looks only?
I have the single Sierra antenna and my reception is fine wish I had duel antennas also.
I would say my CB reception was much improved by installing the Sierra's, but that would not be the whole story as I had no transmit capility, but receive worked fine with the Hondaline CB antenna.

But then I discoverd the root problem while installing the Siera's..

Nothing like a broken CB ground strap to really screw with your transmissions...

I can report that the Sierra AM/FM/CB Antenna works great for group riding. I tested transmission to be excellent at about 2 miles when I was late meeting up with my group. I was able to contact them just before the group pulled out of Wingstsuff just as I got off Interstate-5 at Bake Parkway.

As already stated, in Southern California AM and FM reception seems accecptable. There are a lot of stations to listen to here and I am able to pull in all the stations I ever listen to. Your results may vary out in "fringe" areas.

Before one starts comparing the Sierra's to the Hondaline make sure which Sierra antenna you are comparing to.

There are two models available; A short 2' model which is known to cut reception/transmission nearly in half for the conveience of a shorter antenna or the standard 3' antenna which as near as I can tell works as well or better than the Hondaline antennas.

·
Registered
983 Posts
CB reception

CB reception improved 100% with the Sierra duel antenna. Nothing but static before with the Honda Line antenna. I was about to just sell off the CB. On the 2.5 run the first I tried it out. It worked better then I had hoped for. Clear, range improved with few exceptions. True the second antenna is a dummy. True the instructions are lacking any photos, just basic instructions. Still I got my moneys worth.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts