GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the wife and I will have Dual Citizenship soon, we are in the process of buying a house in Sturgis, MI.

Moved from MI to TX in the late 70's, but all of our family still lives in MI, so we have decided to have a seasonal retirement home in MI so we can get close to them once again for longer periods of time. :thumbup:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Welcome home to Michigan.
Try not to move until July. The snow should have stopped by then !!

Ray

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome home to Michigan.
Try not to move until July. The snow should have stopped by then !!

Ray
I was there last Friday, for the weekend, it was a lot nicer than 2 weeks earlier.

We were on the west side comming from Hersey down to White Pidgeon in a big snow storm, glad I still remember how to drive in that white stuff. :shock:

·
Registered
928 Posts
If'n ya'll talks funny you should have bought a place in the UP - day all talks funny there! Just kidding folks! Welcome back to the Mitten. Take care.

Ride safely

Crabby Bob :twisted::twisted:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If'n ya'll talks funny you should have bought a place in the UP - day all talks funny there! Just kidding folks! Welcome back to the Mitten. Take care.

Ride safely

Crabby Bob :twisted::twisted:
Funny you should mention that about being ja Yooper, our family lived up there in the Munising area for many years, my older brother and his family has lived up there in Yooperland most all of their lives.

My wife's oldest brother lives in Cedarville.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb9yhhflmvY

·
Registered
928 Posts
Yooper Land

Went to college up there more years ago then I care to remember. Best four years of my life. Good honest people, once you get past the snow and cold great place to be. No money up there, but most I have known always had a smile on their face. Once again welcome home, maybe we will cross paths some day.

Crabby Bob

·
UBposting IBchatting
1,018 Posts
Welcome to Michigan! I was born in Sturgis and grew up in White Pigeon. We live in Constantine, now.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I hope we can close on our home in Sturgis, MI

So many problems with the purchase, Bad title work (Legal Discription), people that don't care if people ever close, no respect for time constraints, ect, ect.

Last chance to close will be on the 12 of May before we loose our good interest rate lock, then the fireworks will start by sending Lawyers, Guns and Money.

Kind Regards

·
Registered
928 Posts
Don't you just love banks, mortgage companies etc. Too many lawyers and too many who don't give a dayum about any body but themselves. Hope it finally works for you and again welcome to the Mitten, maybe our paths will cross. Take care.

Crabby Bob :thumbup:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, its offical we can fly dual flags as we live in two different countries now.

The weather in Michigan was a little wet last week but we got everything we needed to get done, now I just need to get our home ready for sale in Texas, and afterwards we will pay the one off in Michigan and go into semi-retirement and take a long ride. :thumbup:

·
Registered
928 Posts
Fantastic news! Some times you just have to hold your mouth right and it works like it should. Welcome again, and enjoy your semi - retirement, it has been the best job I ever had. Take care.

Ride safely

Crabby Bob

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the dream lasted just under a month, now my insurance company is cancelling my home owners insurance because I have a worn roofing shingles. I wonder what kind of crap is that. :shrug:

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
Congrats - I just bought a place in Tennessee and get to put a roof on it also.

Insurance company no likee potential claims from the get-go.

Enjoy Michigan - I've got a house in Macomb I can sell you. :nojoke:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congrats - I just bought a place in Tennessee and get to put a roof on it also.

Insurance company no likee potential claims from the get-go.

Enjoy Michigan - I've got a house in Macomb I can sell you. :nojoke:
I understand their point in replacing the roof infact I allready had 4 bids to do it, but to instead getting a hold of me and requesting for me to replace it, they just out of the blue cancelled our policy and advised or lender of the cancellation, I feel that I am not in Good Hands anymore I feel after 33 years. :nojoke: Are there any good insurance companies in Michigan that I should be looking at?

·
Registered
928 Posts
When I built my present house was with Prudential ins. They sold out to Liberty Mutual. Had one claim with LM, and they took care of it well and rates didn't go up. YMMV, some insurance companies will give better rates if you insure house, car, boat etc., might try to ask an independent agent about what they would recommend. Good luck it just sucks how companies can treat people in this day and age. Take care, hope this helps.

Crabby Bob

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well talk about feeling really violated, I have been trying to get some bids on having my roof replaced at our new second home in Sturgis, MI since the end of May.

After a month of making requests and trying to keep a civil toung in my mouth, I got three ranging from $15K for just a re-surface up to $25K for a complete overhaul of the soffits, facia, roof, and gutters.

The cheapest one cannot do the work until September, but the highest one can do it pretty quickly and offers the best support service before, during, and after the work is done from what I can tell and the one in the middle cant do anything for us until Sept-Oct.

My only problem is now my insurance has lapsed as of 12:01 AM today and I cannot get them to give me an extension, the other insurance companies want the new roof on before they will insure us and now it looks like my lender has taken out their own coverage at my expense, boy talk about real nice folks out there in the business climate.

Hope you all are doing ok up there.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dual Citizenship (Continued)

Well they are starting on our new roof today, we got our insurance re-instated, hopfully all goes as well and they complete all of the work in the next couple of days :thumbup:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, just got word that they will be starting our new Soffits, Facia, and Gutters today, long delays due to Thunderstorms the past few weeks, glad they got the new roof on, the way its going I might be able to do the final inspect it myself by deer hunting season in October.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, just got word that they will be starting our new Soffits, Facia, and Gutters today, long delays due to Thunderstorms the past few weeks, glad they got the new roof on, the way its going I might be able to do the final inspect it myself by deer hunting season in October.
Well as it turned out everything was completed and the wife and I were able to look at all of the work that was done to the Roof, Soffits, Facia, and Gutters on our house this last week, the company that did the work did a very nice job, but it took them a while, I guess a lot of it was due to weather concerns.

While I was there last week I harvested a nice deer with my bow and it sure will be tasty when it is finally processed, the house is now winterized and locked up tight as a drum, we left the heat on set at 40 Deg.

Hired a company to clean up all of the leaves and do some brush removal to give us a better view of the lake in front of the house, we will be back up next spring to open it back up, and go fishing.

Well, back to riding here in Texas, going to the Lone Star Rally this weekend.

Drive safely this winter!!!! :biker:

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Will be at the rally also. Come by the Blue Knights place, will be there Saturday morning around 10. Staying in League City Sat. Night

1 - 20 of 21 Posts