GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon all,how many of you have fitted the dual lens dash cameras to the Gl1800,and what should I be aware of when fitting.
Thanks for any assistance

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I've installed 4 different brands on 4 different models of MC.
1st When buying, is the DVR water resistant or waterproof. Waterproof units can be installed just about anywhere. Water resistant need to be sheltered somewhat. I hid mine in either case so prying eyes and sticky fingers aren't a problem. They are accessible enough if the CF card needs to be accessed.
2nd Is the unit Bluetooth compatible with your phone. I installed a unit that had no phone app or conductivity to a phone...the owner was very disappointed. On another install, the owner choses to watch what is behind him on his iPhone. To each his own. In any case, I find riding videos to be rather boring unless Godzilla crosses the road in front of you or you are witness to an accident. My lawyer kissed me when she found out I had video of the accident I was in. There wasn't any question as to fault or liability. Funny how the video didn't match the other drivers account though, at least his initial story. The police like seeing these videos as well. It is especially helpful if you can play it on your phone at the scene.
3rd. Power is either battery powered, ignition powered and sometimes both. Got to know what hooks up where for it to work properly and power down when not in operation.
4th Some units have GPS locators that can be connected into the system. They may be included in the system or may be an option. They need to be mounted where they have access to the sky. (If you want to have it at all)
5th. Most units have a record button that you can press to record or take a snapshot of an event.
6th The units I worked with had a generous amount of cable to install the cameras wherever you wish. Its never a bad idea to run your cables and be sure there is enough to do what you want to do. My DVR is in the left pocket. I made sure I wasn't going to be short of cable to the rear of the bike.
7th If your front forks are weak and you mount the camera under the fairing, you can break the mount and leave the camera swinging in the wind. I found this out on a trike that kept adjusting the camera view on stops.
Mostly, its a straight forward procedure and isn't difficult to do. camera location and DVR location are the hardest things to figure out.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Excellent advice.

Only one thing I could add. I had some issues at first with recording duration. I sent back twice and finally it was fixed. But one thing I continued to read on different forums is to start with a new SD card and format in the device as the very first action. Sadly, I even bought the card from MotoProCam when I bought the unit and still had to return the unit twice.

Otherwise, easy install.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1st When buying, is the DVR water resistant or waterproof. Waterproof units can be installed just about anywhere. Water resistant need to be sheltered somewhat. I hid mine in either case so prying eyes and sticky fingers aren't a problem. They are accessible enough if the CF card needs to be accessed.
2nd Is the unit Bluetooth compatible with your phone. I installed a unit that had no phone app or conductivity to a phone...the owner was very disappointed. On another install, the owner choses to watch what is behind him on his iPhone. To each his own. In any case, I find riding videos to be rather boring unless Godzilla crosses the road in front of you or you are witness to an accident. My lawyer kissed me when she found out I had video of the accident I was in. There wasn't any question as to fault or liability. Funny how the video didn't match the other drivers account though, at least his initial story. The police like seeing these videos as well. It is especially helpful if you can play it on your phone at the scene.
3rd. Power is either battery powered, ignition powered and sometimes both. Got to know what hooks up where for it to work properly and power down when not in operation.
4th Some units have GPS locators that can be connected into the system. They may be included in the system or may be an option. They need to be mounted where they have access to the sky. (If you want to have it at all)
5th. Most units have a record button that you can press to record or take a snapshot of an event.
6th The units I worked with had a generous amount of cable to install the cameras wherever you wish. Its never a bad idea to run your cables and be sure there is enough to do what you want to do. My DVR is in the left pocket. I made sure I wasn't going to be short of cable to the rear of the bike.
7th If your front forks are weak and you mount the camera under the fairing, you can break the mount and leave the camera swinging in the wind. I found this out on a trike that kept adjusting the camera view on stops.
Mostly, its a straight forward procedure and isn't difficult to do. camera location and DVR location are the hardest things to figure out.
Thanks Augi,agree with you,I think it's going to be a challenge to find a suitable location for the screen especially the GL1800 will have a lot of thinking to do

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent advice.

Only one thing I could add. I had some issues at first with recording duration. I sent back twice and finally it was fixed. But one thing I continued to read on different forums is to start with a new SD card and format in the device as the very first action. Sadly, I even bought the card from MotoProCam when I bought the unit and still had to return the unit twice.

Otherwise, easy install.
Thanks Andy appreciate your thoughts,being a bit of a dinosaur where computers are concerned I will need to learn how to format the SD card

·
Registered
968 Posts
Thanks Andy appreciate your thoughts,being a bit of a dinosaur where computers are concerned I will need to learn how to format the SD card
I have every expectation that your unit will have the necessary instructions. There will be a setup menu, either on the DVR display screen on the APP for the phone. You will need to set up the resolution, the duration of the recorded files, other basic things. Somewhere in those menu choices will be a FORMAT command.

I hate to say this but in this case, read the instructions. :LOL:

So I mounted the DVR/control unit with Industrial Velcro on the inside of the trunk, right side, upside down. The way the cables came in, I found it best as I could peel the unit off and pivot it in my hand so the screen was right side up.

Here are the actual cameras

·
Vendor
18,635 Posts
Good afternoon all,how many of you have fitted the dual lens dash cameras to the Gl1800,and what should I be aware of when fitting.
Thanks for any assistance
It might help to know that I've removed several dash/rear camera setups. I think in all cases, the owner bought it that way, and it was not only me, but the owner too, who was concerned about the carnival wiring. I believe the one in my shop now has 3 cords coming from the left side to left handle bar. That's not a good way to route wires.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Let me add also. Before you even route or drill any holes, connect the cameras to the DVR and power it up. Watch for resolution, hazing, color or just flat out of focus cameras. Turn out the lights and look again at the infrared image. Most of the lenses/cameras I've seen are are Cannon or Sony and have an enormous field of view. In a perfect world Nikon would make cameras too.
If image quality is questionable, send the unit back. Nothing worse than seeing blurs and blobs in your video, especially if you captured Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster.

·
Registered
968 Posts
It might help to know that I've removed several dash/rear camera setups. I think in all cases, the owner bought it that way, and it was not only me, but the owner too, who was concerned about the carnival wiring. I believe the one in my shop now has 3 cords coming from the left side to left handle bar. That's not a good way to route wires.
Are you saying you don't like my wiring above? This makes me sad. 😭

Mine only has five wires total (camera, camera, power, optional GPS, optional push to save button). Not sure how or why there would be three wires up to the handlebar unless the DVR was mounted there. Many folks have other things on the left handlebar (switches, 12V power, USB power, GPS audio). Not sure why that, in and of itself, is not a good way to route wires.

I wouldn't condemn all cameras based on that experience. Frankly, I can't imagine driving around Florida in any vehicle without a recording device. As a minimum, I would use a GoPro (or similar) on a chesty mount.

·
Registered
373 Posts

Mine only has five wires total (camera, camera, power, optional GPS, optional push to save button). Not sure how or why there would be three wires up to the handlebar unless the DVR was mounted there. Many folks have other things on the left handlebar (switches, 12V power, USB power, GPS audio). Not sure why that, in and of itself, is not a good way to route wires.

I wouldn't condemn all cameras based on that experience. Frankly, I can't imagine driving around Florida in any vehicle without a recording device. As a minimum, I would use a GoPro (or similar) on a chesty mount.
Andy, I appreciated your post, comments and experience. Could/would you make a recommendation for a good unit? I'll be mounting it on a 2018 DCT/CSC Trike.
Bill

·
Registered
968 Posts
I started with GoPro units but the models I had did not do loop recording and did not support auto on/off with key switch. I wanted an "install and forget" type solution.

Sorry but I can't give a glowing recommendation for a specific product right now. I used one from MotoProCam that is now discontinued. At the time, their unit was a couple years old (bugs worked out?), in stock and on sale. This is their latest (improved?) model:
3rd Gen MotoProCam Dual WiFi DVR Cam Touch Screen System for Motorcycl – Topdawgelectronics
They were cooperative and responsive. If I were to choose a new one today, I would default to this first and compare others to it.

When I bought mine, these guys were just bringing out a new model. I didn't want to wait a forecasted two months (most of my season) or deal with an unproven unit. They seem to have good reviews on their newest unit:
Motorcycle Cameras Archives | OCD Tronic

As much as I am not a favorite of YouTube, if you go there and watch some owner videos, most folks list what they used for equipment.

·
Vendor
18,635 Posts
Sorry, I never even scrolled down and saw your pictures. I was only replying to the OP. However, like many accessories, they are often intended to fit many applications, and the manufacture decides that if "this and that" is changed, they will then market it to the GW world. Often that means "change a mount," leaving the cables way too long and stuff like that. If you setup is like that, then you are correct, I'm sure I wouldn't like it. Routing is critical on 5th and 6th gens leaving very little room for cables that are coiled and such to make things fit.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all your replies everybody,I have finally fitted the dual lens V SYS which I purchased,the cameras are not adjustable as such but the rather flimsy camera mounting can be adjusted (bent) to your requirements.
Have read the limited instructions and tested it before the final fitting, I did place the DVR in the top box as it is not water resistant
The SD card was formatted for me,it would seem now that I will need to reset the DVR as when I press the on/off the screen will get a picture only to disappear again after about 20secs.
Tomorrow is another day

1 - 15 of 15 Posts