GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...we just sold my son's first street bike, a Suzuki SV650S and we're looking to get him something that he can do 300-500 mile days with me if we go touring but also be fun for him as a commuter bike around town.

He likes the concept / look of the adventure bikes like the BMW GS and the Triumph Tiger but also likes the Ducati Multistrada. We kept his GSXR 600 track bike so he can get plenty of go fast thrills there so this one would be for touring and commuting, but he's still a teenager so he doesn't want it looking too old.

We found a 2006 Multistrada 620 for $3800 that has bags and relatively low miles but I'm wondering if it will make a decent touring bike or if we ought to look for something like the GS or Tiger, or even a FJR or an older BMW K1200RS.

Anyone have any experience touring on a Multistrada?

Anyone have anything significant I should know about the maintenance requirements on a 600 Multistrada?

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Or even a Suzuki V-Strom 1000. Probably more reliable and cheaper to maintain that a Duc.
Yes...great bike...but not near as sexy as the Duc.

Has anyone ridden the Ducati Multistrada for any amount of distance and if so, how did it do? Or rather...how did you do?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I tested the 2014 MS and it was very nice. Different bike. Same idea. Very light. Good power up high so not scary fast down low. Neutral riding position. I'd take one as a spare. :)

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tested the 2014 MS and it was very nice. Different bike. Same idea. Very light. Good power up high so not scary fast down low. Neutral riding position. I'd take one as a spare. :)
You think it would be comfortable / enjoyable for a 300-400 mile day for a younger person?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Just looking at pics... I don't see how the 2006 Duc MS is anywhere's close to the other bikes you listed in regards to ergonomics for longer rides.

Also, the 2006 was the first year for that model... so you are looking at the standard potential upkeep of a Duc as well as any first year roll-out issues with it.

Personally... what you call "sexy", I call "awkward" for a Sport Tourer. YMMV.

V-Strom, FJR, or ST get my vote for easy and cheap maintenance costs combined with performance, decent style, and comfort... GS if you want the rugged look, but I know you know how maintaining a BMW can be.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I'm quoting my BIL here as he had one a few years ago. I asked him why he sold it. His reply was, "cause my chiropractor didn't like riding on the back".

I would also vote for another type of bike; vstom, St1300, FJR, etc. All fast enough for the street with loads of touring capability. Especially since he still has track bike to play with.

·
Registered
791 Posts
How old is your son? You can turn any bike into a touring bike. Ducati seats are good for about an hour.
I have a Triumph Tiger 800 and have just ridden a 650 V strom. Either works for cross country or cross town and both are capable of going off pavement. If you travel out west that is a big plus in my book.

My $.02

Pete

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?454713-Gold-Wing-versus-Multistrada&highlight=ducati+multistrada
You think it would be comfortable / enjoyable for a 300-400 mile day for a younger person?
The 2014 was pretty comfortable. Maybe need an AirHawk but the riding position allows through enough air to take the weight off your hands, but blocks enough wind to reduce helmet buffeting. The light weight may be less fatiguing to a young rider who links he has to hold up the bike. I have a more detailed review here. http://gl1800riders.com/forums/show...rsus-Multistrada&highlight=ducati+multistrada

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How old is your son? You can turn any bike into a touring bike. Ducati seats are good for about an hour.
I have a Triumph Tiger 800 and have just ridden a 650 V strom. Either works for cross country or cross town and both are capable of going off pavement. If you travel out west that is a big plus in my book.

My $.02

Pete
He's 17, about 5'10" and 140 pounds.

He'd LOVE a Tiger 800, but we just can't find one in the $4K price range.

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just looking at pics... I don't see how the 2006 Duc MS is anywhere's close to the other bikes you listed in regards to ergonomics for longer rides.

Also, the 2006 was the first year for that model... so you are looking at the standard potential upkeep of a Duc as well as any first year issues roll-out issues with it.

Personally... what you call "sexy", I call "awkward" for a Sport Tourer. YMMV.

V-Strom, FJR, or ST get my vote for easy and cheap maintenance costs combined with performance, decent style, and comfort... GS if you want the rugged look, but I know you know how maintaining a BMW can be. :wink:

You certainly picked an awkward / ugly pic of the duc with that weird bag on the back seat. With normal saddlebags and not some weird rear bag it's a good looking bike to me. Good point about the first year though...not sure I want a first year Ducati.

The ST, FJR and Concourse are all great bikes but I'm not finding many options around $4K. The GS is an option as he likes it a lot but I don't really like it.

To each their own but I can't the looks of the VStrom. Not sure if it's the bike or the name but it's just not for me and he doesn't like it either.

Given all of that, we'll probably end up with a G650GS. You can get one with heated grips, ABS, bags and relatively low miles for around $4-5K. Some BMW's are high maintenance, but the single cylinder GS is about as simple as a bike can get and are pretty bulletproof. Not too much to go wrong there.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Can't speak for the 620, but my friend, 51 years old, has a 2005 1000 Multistrada S. He keeps and stores it in Switzerland and he and his wife fly over, from the USA, and do about 5 weeks worth of riding all around Europe, she has a BMW there.

He loves the bike. I know he has minor back problems, but he never complains about the bike. They set a rough route each day and ride until it gets dark and then find somewhere to stay.

My only concern would be if the engine, on the 620, might be a little anemic.

I really want one of the new Multistrada's, I want a sports tourer than fits between my naked sports bike and the Goldwing and I think this bit would be a nice fit.

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Looking at the pics GLFlyer posted of the Duc, ain't no way I could do 500 miles a day on that bike. I struggle to do 500 on a Wing!

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
A teen ager can tour on ANYTHING! He might sleep very well at night, and not want to get up early the next morning........., might even ask for some ibuprofen.....!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts