GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the brake and clutch fluid systems 2 separate systems, or are they linked some how?

The reason I ask is that I was watching Freds vids last night, and there are separate chapters for brake fluid change and clutch fluid change. And they both use DOT4 brake fluid, right?

I'm going to change ALL fluids and chemicals soon while I overhaul my bike. I'm still trying to figure out all I need to buy. Just put in a big order with Hal for fluids, chemicals, spark plugs, a service manual, etc., and I need some stuff he doesn't carry. IE: Mighty Vac, tubing, various tools.

Any tips/tricks/advice on brake/clutch fluid change is highly appreciated.

One super valuable tip I learned from Fred last night was how to "prime" your coolant system after refilling by blowing into a tube. If you really pay attention to that scene, you'll hear Fred FART while blowing into the tube. He kind of giggles and applogizes, then in his gentlemanly way continues on with the lesson. Those videos are invaluable!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Fluid change

Yes, both systems are seperate.

Yes, both take DOT 4 brake fluid.

The best advice I can offer is to follow Freds video tips and keep the shop manual handy. That's what I did and Fred guided me through the whole process without a hitch.

Good luck

Al
Lady Lake, Fl

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Al. How'd you bleed your brakes? Alone or with a helper? Mighty Vac? Brake bleeders?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I bled both the brakes and the clutch with my brother in law, who is a roadracer and has a ST. Good reason to chat and then ride together instead of working alone with speed bleeders. I do it every spring, so everything is fresh for the 20K I put on every year....

Good luck....

·
Registered
19,050 Posts
change your brake and clutch fluid yearly. More in damp wet areas

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Soloquest said:
Any tips/tricks/advice on brake/clutch fluid change is highly appreciated.
I just R&R'd mine last month. I have both a Mity Vac and one speed bleeder that I hook to the bleeder about to be bled. IMO, you don't need the vac... in fact, I found it didn't work at all well trying to suck the fluid through the bleed valves.

The clutch is simple except you have to remove the front cowling and evap canister to get to the bleeder. That's the only one for the clutch.

The brakes should be bled in sequence. I would guess Fred's videos mention this. There are 7 bleeders in all. Two are bleed with the hand lever - right front upper and left front lower. All the rest, including the AD bleeder, are done with the brake pedal.

Pretty easy job. I'll do it again in another 40k miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts