GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the Premium Audio version of the 07 GW come with CB radio and CB switches, or is that an accessory one has to buy? I can't tell from the Honda website.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Steve, You gotta buy the CB extra. It's an accessory, even though the switches are already on the bike. You'd think, for the price, the bike would come with the CB as standard equipment, but it doesn't.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
All the wings have the cb controls mounted, but the cb is an option you have to buy.

Dep

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. CB is something I use once or twice a year in the car if I run into traffic at a dead standstill on a rural interstate (and if the kids aren't in the car...xxx rated language on CB...). Not sure I would use it much more on the bike.

Opted not to get a Navi model - just going to stick with the Garmin 376C that's on my R1150RT, or move up to a Zumo.

Steve

·
Registered
902 Posts
I believe the CB has to be the Honda CB in order for the controls on the bike to work with the CB. Someone here can confirm or refute this.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Steve, How much riding do you plan to do with other Gold Wingers? Have you checked out GWRRA or GWTA in your area. If you get out with a group on a regular basis and do group rides a CB really adds to the enjoyment of it. It also is makes for quite a bit more safety.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yep it does. Break good buddy......Want to stop at the next DairyQueen....Break. No...Break...Look check out those beautiful flowers....Break.....HEY ! Look out here comes some Harley bikers......Break...Look really tuff like were bad.....Break....Yea OK mack....Break.....WOW..Do you here those pipes...Dont they sound good....Break.......WHO SAID THAT......BREAK. GET OUT OF LINE and go to the back of the pack.....break.....Im sorry I wont say it again....Break...over.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DGM said:
Steve, How much riding do you plan to do with other Gold Wingers? Have you checked out GWRRA or GWTA in your area. If you get out with a group on a regular basis and do group rides a CB really adds to the enjoyment of it. It also is makes for quite a bit more safety.
Thanks, but I suspect I'll ride mostly alone as I have for the last 28 years, or now and then with the one or two BMW guys I ride with. None of us have bike to bike comms -- we all have busy lives and families, and sometimes the best part of the ride is not having to talk to anyone! :lol: And we ride a lot in areas not covered by cell phones so not even the wives can intrude on our thoughts!

Many years ago I showed up for my first group ride, and when the guy started talking about ride captains, rules, and signals, I parted company with them at the first available right turn. Nothing wrong with what they were doing, but definitely not for me.

Steve

·
Registered
115 Posts
Alterntives

If you do a search, Kennedy makes a wiring harness that allows you to put an FRS (Family Radio Service) radio on the bike and I believe that the built-in switches are functional, as well. If you are interested in looking at this you can check out the following URLs:

http://www.cellset.com/
http://www.gl1800ridersforums.com/gl180 ... system.htm

YMMV
Cheers,
Chris and Helen...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Alterntives

Kzindar said:
If you do a search, Kennedy makes a wiring harness that allows you to put an FRS (Family Radio Service) radio on the bike and I believe that the built-in switches are functional, as well. If you are interested in looking at this you can check out the following URLs:

http://www.cellset.com/
http://www.gl1800ridersforums.com/gl180 ... system.htm

YMMV
Cheers,
Chris and Helen...
Chris and Helen: thanks! I have been exchanging emails with Jon Jambor at Kennedy today, getting advice on how I want to set up the gps/phone/radar with the Wing intercom. The folks at Kennedy are very helpful and pleasant to deal with.

Steve

PS: i used to ride thru Haymarket a few times a week, always being very careful to maintain the legal speed limit....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts