GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to do some de-chroming and have removed my rotor covers. One of them, however, has one of the screws which is used to hold on part of the brake hose on the left side.

The screw that I've taken out doesn't really work simply putting it back in. I wonder if someone could help me find which part I'm looking for. I've been through most of the parts fiche, but haven't found the right one yet.

TIA

jason

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'm not sure I am following your question but if I remember correctly there are two different length screws on that cover. Maybe you are using to short on for the long screw's hole.

Bryan

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I just removed a set for a friend yesterday to do a brake fluid flush. that screw on his was a long screw that went thru the hole and had a double nut on the back side. It did have the same hex head on it that all the others had but the threads were smaller and went right thru the hole. hope that helps

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Bryan - Yes, there are 2 different lengths of screws there, but both the ones that came out have "wide" heads. I've put one back in (temporarily) and that's just not right... (see image below).

@Banana - So you're saying that the threads in the "block" that are part of the brake hose weren't used at all, but there were nuts on the inside holding it on? Did the head look like the "black" ones that are to the right of the circle in the picture?

Thanks all

jason

·
Registered
627 Posts
I just removed a set for a friend yesterday to do a brake fluid flush. that screw on his was a long screw that went thru the hole and had a double nut on the back side. It did have the same hex head on it that all the others had but the threads were smaller and went right thru the hole. hope that helps
On my bike the bolt with the nut on it is on the right side of the bike, the picture shows the left side & that is just a long bolt that threads into that hole as shown, there are several long bolts & I'm not sure if they have different threads.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Clancy - Yes, the one on the right side had a nut that held it in place.

On the left side you can see the "brake" hose (I think this actually goes to the ADV), and there is a small block behind this opening and this screw needs to hold this block on.

The fact that the right one had a nut was the only reason I really inspected the left side and found out that it actually needed to go back. I found no such nut on the left.

jason

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I stand corrected. The left side was threaded into the hole, no back up nut. right side was double nutted thru the hole. It used a flat head allen screw like all the others.

·
Registered
226 Posts
So how are you going to keep the rear portion of the front fender from flapping in the wind?

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The fender doesn't get secured here. The rotor cover did, but it is going away.

The right side doesn't seem to do anything, but the left only seems to hold the brake line in place. Right now that's capable of "flapping around".

Jason

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Greetings!

No, you are not going crazy. But you are missing a screw.

There is a screw that was originally there which is replaced by a longer one that comes with the rotor cover kit. Unfortunately, most people end up pitching that screw after they install the rotor covers.

I cannot be 100% positive without going out to the garage and looking at my own bike, but I think you are looking for Item 33 on the Delay Valve parts fiche.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think you are exactly right reader.

I looked at that fiche, but couldn't get oriented to figure out what was where.

Thank you very much for the pointer. Just added one to my cart.

Jason

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
pic showing bolt in question on a non abs bike. the one on the right side holds a bracket for the ABS wires.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@Travelin - You're right. I was looking for the screw / bolt on the left side. My (non ABS) when I was taking the rotor covers off had screws on both sides. When I took the right side of the nut fell to the ground. It wasn't holding anything else on.

When I took the left side off there was no nut that fell to the ground. That left me to investigate where it went, when I discovered that it served another purpose, but I obviously didn't have the right "bits" to reassemble...

@Waldo - Thanks for the pic. That will help make sure I get the right thing. Info on what the one on the right is there for is helpful. I was actually very curious as to why the non-threaded hole was there. The fact that it is there for ABS makes perfect sense.

Thanks to all for the help.

jason

1 - 14 of 14 Posts