GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was traveling last month and stopped at a gas station to fill up. I saw the mid grade and premium pumps had ethanol added to the gas. I was not sure if this was ok with the wing so I went for the unleaded. So was I right or wrong with my decision? I am going to the corner to put on my dunce hat......

·
Registered
503 Posts
Your bike is set up for 87 octane. In higher altitudes you can even use 85 octane. In my experience the fuel with ethanol lowers the mpg not only in my wing but also in my Corvette. There's alot of push these days to use the ethanol, but you'll just have to experiment and do what's best for your equipment. Just don't put E-85 fuel in your bike as it's not set up for it.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I did not know if it was some kind of mixture with the E85 or not. Just stuck me as odd as I have never seen it posted on the pumps in my limited travels.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I use it in all my vehicles, uses 10% less gas that way. I still get 40mpg so why not? We run it in everything cept the lawn mowers and small engines. It has been here in the Omaha area since the late 70s I belive. Will you be at colors? We are going this year, missed the last two so it is time to travel and have some pie at Miss. Vickies place :)

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
markj said:
I Will you be at colors? We are going this year, missed the last two so it is time to travel and have some pie at Miss. Vickies place :)
Yea we are planning to be at colors. We have already preregistered for it. The only thing about Vickies is the wait. But it is some good dessert. Planning to leave and be up there on the 17th. I hope we can get a good camping spot as we did last year. No reserves this year.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Like Markj said, it's been in the midwest for years, and I use it in everything, except the new chainsaw. Never had a problem.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Also don’t put the fuel in that has the green handle as someone I know did last month :(

Ride Safe
Dick

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BigD said:
Also don’t put the fuel in that has the green handle as someone I know did last month :(

Ride Safe
Dick
I know someone else who did that also in a 1500. It was a big group and he was in a hurry. It took a couple of hours to get it all drained out. So needless to say, it is still a going joke in the group. Thanks for the tip though. :D

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Yea we are planning to be at colors
Maybe we can hook up and do a ride? My wife is on a valk trike, green and silver, I ride a titanium wing, we will have our 4 year old son with us. We have a bunkhouse camper might not put up the add a room. We try to camp close to the showerhouse where the speakers do their thing and the morning breakfast is served soooo. Maybe we will see you there. Did you find a cheap PC yet? I may have one soon and maybe could bring it along if you still are in need.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I used the 10% on my trip out west in my 1500 in august. My mileage dropped from 40mpg to 30mpg. As soon as I got out of the midwest and went back to regular unleaded my mileage went back to 40mpg.

So from my perspective it cost more and let me ride less. I didn't notice any difference in the way the engine performed.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
KamiSue said:
I used the 10% on my trip out west in my 1500 in august. My mileage dropped from 40mpg to 30mpg.
The 1800 would fair better, I am sure, since it as an electronic fuel injection system. If somone had a similar report for his 1800, I would ask them if they reset the ECU when they changed fuel.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Very interesting article in the new Consumers Reports about Ethanol, E85. cost and fuel mileage. It basically verified the reserch I have done into the product. The bottom line is ethanol and E85 are LESS efficient per gallon than gasoline and fuel mileage drops which increases your operating cost. I am beginning to think the whole ethanol/E85 thing may be another marketing idea that is more fluff than substance.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
You will eat everything in the fule system up with anything more than 10% ethanol, the bike is NOT set up to run the E85 under any circumstances. You will regret it if you do, but you guys all know best. 8) :biker: :biker: :flg: :flg: :biker: :biker:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I've used ethanol in all my vehicles for years, in the Wing since new, unless it wasn't available. I get 41 to 43 mpg going by the speedo. When I went out west, my mpg also dropped significantly. Two up pulling a trailer at 85 to 90 will do that.

·
Registered
365 Posts
In my Tahoe, rated for E85, the price difference has to be $.72 to break even cost wise. It gets 14.6 MPG highway 0n E85 and 19 MPG on regular. E85 sells for $2.24 and regular is $2.54 right now, regular would have to sell for $2.96 before E85 @ $2.24 cost to operate would be the same.

The Tahoe desinged to run on E85 runs just as good as it does on regular gas just uses more per mile driven. The GL 1800 isn't calibrated for E85, the injectors would have to add ~ 35% more fuel to get the mixture right. Also can the GL 1880 handle the corrosive nature of 85% alcohol? Don't want to find out either.

G

·
SC Steve said:
BigD said:

Ride Safe
Dick
I know someone else who did that also in a 1500. It was a big group and he was in a hurry. It took a couple of hours to get it all drained out. So needless to say, it is still a going joke in the group. Thanks for the tip though. :D
What gas does the "green handle" give you guys? Here in Sweden/Europe it means unleaded fuel. Black is Diesel and blue is E85.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts