GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm in the middle of installing All Balls, and I have a question. Is it possible to loosen the pinch bolts for the forks, and drop the whole front end as an assembly? Or does that make it too hard to re-install? Maybe you can't get the right torque setting for the bearings doing it this way.

Looks to me like I could unhook 3 brake lines and the whole unit, wheel and all, would drop down and be out of the way. I'm a pretty good wrench, but this is my first real motorcycle repair. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Okay, I'm in the middle of installing All Balls, and I have a question. Is it possible to loosen the pinch bolts for the forks, and drop the whole front end as an assembly? Or does that make it too hard to re-install? Maybe you can't get the right torque setting for the bearings doing it this way.

Looks to me like I could unhook 3 brake lines and the whole unit, wheel and all, would drop down and be out of the way. I'm a pretty good wrench, but this is my first real motorcycle repair. Any help is appreciated.
I had mine done by a very good wrench..most likely one of the best..Gary Verhulst, and he didn't unhook any brake lines, he took the forks out and then installed the All Balls..if you have any questions email him, he will help any Winger.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, so the forks have to come out, I can live with that. I'm concerned about getting them put back in the correct location. Is there some sort of indexing mark somewhere. I do have the FSM, but have not gotten that far yet. Thanks for your help folks.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Dumber question: What are all balls? I assume it is replacement bearings but is there some significance to the product? I noticed you have a 2008, are bearings needing to be replaced already? Is this something I have to look forward to?

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
Dumber question: What are all balls? I assume it is replacement bearings but is there some significance to the product? I noticed you have a 2008, are bearings needing to be replaced already? Is this something I have to look forward to?
Ah! A newbie. Welcome.

All Balls is actually the name of the company. The bearings he is installing are actually roller bearings. He is replacing the ball bearings that are in the bike now.

So essentially, when he is done, he will have no balls.:lol:;)

Jeez, I crack myself up.:joke:

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Actually, mine is a 2002, I joined here in 2008, some say that is when I lost my balls!!

Jeez I crack myself up too!!

How about it, do the forks go to the correct place on their own, or is there something I'm missing?

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
When the forks are re-installed, the tubes should be perfectly flush with the top of the triple tree. (not including the nut)

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Not a dumb question. Spend a few evenings reading through the posts and you will find that that replacing the steering head bearings with the All Balls bearings is one of principle means of eliminating or at least reducing the front end wobble that seems to hit so many GoldWings.

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
You will also discover that there is not much agreement on this modification.

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
For what it's worth, I just installed AB stem bearings 1500 miles ago.

The only decel wobble I had was with a bad front tire. However, I could never let go of the bars.

After the install, I can ride miles without touching the bars.

·
Mad UK Winger
356 Posts
all balls = man who walks like john wayne :joke:

sorry couldnt resist.

good luck with the job, you'll get it done no probs.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Not a dumb question. Spend a few evenings reading through the posts and you will find that that replacing the steering head bearings with the All Balls bearings is one of principle means of eliminating or at least reducing the front end wobble that seems to hit so many GoldWings.
Thats for sure! I have been reading non stop which has caused other problems. Wife says somethings gotta go so I gave her some money and sent her shopping (for goldwing accessories of course.) Kinda scared me to think I might have to lose my balls too, but then again I've been married 27.8 years. After reading about the bearings I suppose I will have to add them to my wish list. :roll: Where does it ever stop?

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
Where does it ever stop?
It stops when you stop worrying about every little imperfection and just go out and enjoy the bike. Barring that, you are doomed to the eternal purgatory of searching for, and never achieving the elusive goal of perfection.

It's an imperfect world. You can either go along for the ride, or let it torture you.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts

Short answer. Yes. Cut off the race on the lower tree with a dremel. There's plenty of meat there to take a nick or two with the tool.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I had mine done by a very good wrench..most likely one of the best..Gary Verhulst, and he didn't unhook any brake lines, he took the forks out and then installed the All Balls..if you have any questions email him, he will help any Winger.
:agree: Gary did mine also.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
It stops when you stop worrying about every little imperfection and just go out and enjoy the bike. Barring that, you are doomed to the eternal purgatory of searching for, and never achieving the elusive goal of perfection.

It's an imperfect world. You can either go along for the ride, or let it torture you.
:agree:

·
Registered
96 Posts
All balls

The best thing to do is get Fred's DVDs and look at them about 3 times and then go to it. This is not a big job because Fred does it with only 1 hand while he has the camera running in the other. The old race on the triple tree can be drove off with a punch if you are careful. I just did mine a couple weeks ago and had no problem. I'm still recovering from a shoulder operation from November and had little trouble with the job. I put in a new air filter also and new seals and bushings in the front forks. The doctor said no riding but he never said anything about turning a wrench or two.
Have fun and take your time.
Tom

1 - 20 of 20 Posts