GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Banned
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went for a ride the other day and it was over 90 and after an hour I had it, swamp butt. I have an AirHawk cushion in my trunk and did not even think about it as I really prefer riding without it as I like the stock seat. I have been reading about beads and sheepskin and underwear and just about everything else. I don't really want anything that sits me up higher which is why I don't use the AirHawk that much. My dumb question is, why can't you just put a terry cloth towel or something similar on the seat when it gets hot? I would think this would isolate the seat from the butt and help keep things dry. I am going on a long ride and I want my wife's but and mine to stay reasonably dry so I wondered if anyone has any input on this idea. Seem too simple.

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
a terry towel will not allow air flow between your cheeks and the seat leather... Trust me on this one.. This past September I tried to do the USA 4 corners and got within 800 miles of finishing it and fell victim to terminal diaper rash and had to limp home at one hour spells because of all the raw infected pain.

I now have the LD underwear, antimonkey butt powder for my next attempt

PS if you want to eel you airhawk,,,,

·
Banned
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a terry towel will not allow air flow between your cheeks and the seat leather... Trust me on this one.. This past September I tried to do the USA 4 corners and got within 800 miles of finishing it and fell victim to terminal diaper rash and had to limp home at one hour spells because of all the raw infected pain.

Thanks, I knew there must be a reason. I will stick with the AH and get something else for the wife's butt. Not sure which is best though, beads or skin. I just hope the AH keeps things dry down there. I may have to look into the LD underwear as well, hear good things about them.

·
Registered
620 Posts
air

530ktm,
I agree with kniterider, get a pair of LD Comfort (I have other brands also and they don't compare!) undies as they wick the moisture out. I also find that the ceramic beads allow airflow under my posterior which adds to the comfort level.

Rick

·
Registered
466 Posts
sheep skin

I drove over the road 18 wheeler for several years and I tried everything on the market. I got the best results with the sheep skin cover. I was paid by the mile so I would set in that seat for hours before stopping,

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Dave,

When I rode my wife's bike home it had beads on it. It was warm out, but not exceptionally hot, and I definitely felt good air movement between me and the seat. It made me think about getting beads for my bike as well. They don't really make you sit much higher up(like the air hawk), but they allow a LOT of what I think is good air flow. LDComfort would be a good option as well. They work well in hot and cold weather.

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
I tried the newest airhawk R model at Daytona bike week. The rep. told me that the biggest mistake people make is to overinflate the cushion.. If it raises you by more than 1/4 to 3/8 of inch you have put too much air in it.. First thing I did when I sat on their demo was to start cranking up on the pressure to firm it up.. He came over and let most of it back out it is designed to shift air easily from cell to cell and to just keep you from making contact with the leather

So basically it should not raise you any higher than the beaded seat I have but without the hard little knots

·
Banned
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input. I have some thinking to do but I like the sounds of the sheepskin. The best thing to do is get one of each including the undies but economically not wise. I have messed around with the AH and yest it is best with practically no air in it.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
If you find that you are starting to get galled or a little raw.... then A&D ointment works wonders. It stinks a little but it really heals.

Maybe there's something else out there that works as well and doesn't stink, but I haven't found it.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I hate to say this, but last year, near Salina, KS. the temp was over 100. I pulled off the interstate, unzipped my fly and continued on. No one could see and I got a little ventilation.

Be sure and zip up when you stop. :oops:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Beads

Ceramic beads for me on the bike, lots of air flow much needed down here in N Central FL. I work in a pine sawmill and the heat can be brutal. Summertime sometimes brings on that chafing when you're soaking wet most of the day. I find that best relief is Desitin (yeh, for diaper rash), now they have a less stinky version and still works pretty good. Regular use will "toughen up" the areas and make you less susceptible to the rash.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Never realized how well the seat beads worked until I rode the bike in the winter with the beads still on - the marbles were heading north seeking warmth. Powder the donuts before the ride helps also - keeps any rash down.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
no use powder

​No use powder. Clog up the ldcomfort turns into a paste.

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,676 Posts
For me:

1. Don't wear 100% cotton underwear. It just gets wet! Any wicking underwear will work far better.
2. Use beads. The air flow will dry any moisture that is wicked away by the underwear. The day I UNDERSTOOD air flow beads provide was the 30 degree day I rode with beads......the cold air moving "down there" got my attention quickly!

Protect your stuff safely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I have to agree with the majority some kind of wicking underwear and beads, until my arse gets sore then ride without beads for awhile and switch back to beads and you will feel the airflow.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I use "bead riders" and in the Florida heat they work quite well.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I am a believer in LD Comfort now. I sure didn't want to pay that much for under wear but after my 1st long ride with them I realized they were every penny. They also don't bunch up and I'm not having to pull at them like my other drawers. You can actually get by with one pair if you want to. Wash them in the sink and ring them inside a towel hang them up they will be dry the next morning. Tommy

·
Registered
994 Posts
. I got the best results with the sheep skin cover.,

I had a fitted under the edge sheepskin on my 1100 Interstate but danged if I can find anything like it now. I would fluff it up every now and then with a heavy duty brush and it would keep me cool for another while. YMMV

·
Banned
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am a believer in LD Comfort now. I sure didn't want to pay that much for under wear but after my 1st long ride with them I realized they were every penny. They also don't bunch up and I'm not having to pull at them like my other drawers. You can actually get by with one pair if you want to. Wash them in the sink and ring them inside a towel hang them up they will be dry the next morning. Tommy
I think this set up along with an occasional sheepskin is the hot ticket. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 71 Posts