GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this will probably be the dumbest question of the year but I gotta know.

I'm adding an accessory plug to my 98' Goldwing so that I can plug my gps in. I have the following accessory plug which I bought several years ago and never used...

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs...=-1&langId=-1&catalogId=10101&catalogId=10101

Now here's the dumb part.

It has a gray wire and a white wire. Which is the hot wire and which is the ground wire? Does it make a difference on this? :shrug:

Yes I know I will have to add a fuse to the hot wire.

Thanks for any help you can give me...don't won't to damage my gps.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
YES! It makes a difference! Polarity is not critical on AC systems (like 110 volt at home, but is absolutely crucial on DC systems like your bike.

If you wire it backwards you will certainly blow fuses as you connect hot directly to ground, and might destroy your GPS as you run reverse voltage through it.

To answer your question, the center pole of your power adapter should be the hot. You can figure out which wire goes to this with a simple multimeter or continuity tester. The outer part of the adapter is sometimes grounded directly to the frame, depending on the application. No offense, but you might want to consider getting a little help on this one. If you were closer to NH I'd say c'mon over...

If you have a meter or a tester and want to be walked through it, PM me and I'll give you a call.

Dave

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hook it up to a battery. One wire to each post. Then, using a test light, see if the center is hot, or the outside case. If the center is hot, it is correct, if the outside, reverse the wires on the battery.
Simple.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
David,
Because that one is sealed!! and you may not easily be able to see which wire goes to the center. If you have a vote/ohm meter, set it to Ohm's and test the wire by placing the probe into the plug, and on the center little button. Then with the other probe touch one of the wires, and watch the meter to see if there is continuity or if the meter goes to "0" or very close. The other wire will not show any reaction with the meter. Did that make any sense??

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replys....being very electrically challenged along with vertically challenged I don't have many electrical contraptions...(Now if you want to talk woodworking)....BUT I forgot that my neighbor across the street is an electrican. DUH.

I'll get him to check it when he gets home from work. I can install it tomorrow as well as today. I DO NOT want to screw my new gps up.

Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Ok this will probably be the dumbest question of the year but I gotta know.

I'm adding an accessory plug to my 98' Goldwing so that I can plug my gps in. I have the following accessory plug which I bought several years ago and never used...

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs...=-1&langId=-1&catalogId=10101&catalogId=10101

Now here's the dumb part.

It has a gray wire and a white wire. Which is the hot wire and which is the ground wire? Does it make a difference on this? :shrug:

Yes I know I will have to add a fuse to the hot wire.

Thanks for any help you can give me...don't won't to damage my gps.
In most cases White is ground and the other wire is ground. It would be great if you have a meter and then justed checked the continuety.:yes1:

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
??? Both aren't likely to be ground. But the continuity test is the best solution.

In most cases White is ground and the other wire is ground. It would be great if you have a meter and then justed checked the continuety.:yes1:

·
Registered
569 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks for all the replys....being very electrically challenged along with vertically challenged I don't have many electrical contraptions...(Now if you want to talk woodworking)....BUT I forgot that my neighbor across the street is an electrican. DUH.

I'll get him to check it when he gets home from work. I can install it tomorrow as well as today. I DO NOT want to screw my new gps up.

Thanks again for all the help.
The center pin is used for the hot side. The other wire will be connected to the metal on the side for ground.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts