GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was coming home from work yesterday and couldn't believe my eyes. There was a crotch rocket coming out the side street and the guy had a baby maybe at oldest 2 years old on his motorcycle sitting on the gas tank in front of him. No helmet, no clothes on just a diaper not even shoes on this poor baby. Well, just as I was thinking what should I do about this (I can't stand the thought of something happening to this little guy) cops showed up. Someone had called it in already. Sure hope that he gets the book thrown at him for this.

I just can't believe how stupid some people can be.

Ernie

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I agree with you, but you could just put the baby in an open topped
side car, and without further protection, it is probably legal? I think
nothing without a helmet would be a good law, but let us keep the
comments to how to carry a toddler safely.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Wonder why it is so much worse doing that now than 40 years ago. We only had a BMW R-60 and the whole family used it. The baby on the tank, Number two son in front of me, Number 1 son behind me and wife on the back. 5 of us on a bike and no problems.

Those three boys are still alive and kicking. They all have kids of their own now. Life goes on !!

Maybe that is a way that nature culls the pack.

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
There is no safe way to carry a toddler on a motorcycle. A key aspect of motorcycling is getting off safely. When a motorcycle is dropped (loss of balance, oops with the sidestand, foot planted on oil or other slippery substance, etc...) its important that folks on the bike know how to step off.

Motorcycles aren't made for toddlers. I love motorcycling as much as anyone possibly can. I've raised two daughters while owning motorcycles. They were too important to me to let them ride as toddlers. They are still the most imporant beings on this planet, but the risks are greatly reduced now that their athletic ability has developed.

That being said, I don't know if I would be willing to get authorities involved when I see other people measuring risk differently than I do. Everybody's line that cannot be crossed sits at a different lattitude. Its a tough call. Rather than get the authorities involved I usually make the stupid mistake of confronting the individual myself. Once you get the authorities involved the ultimate outcome is rarely good for anyone except lawyers. But I'm not against others that do call authorities, their decision is the right one too.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
markj said:
Wonder why it is so much worse doing that now than 40 years ago
my Mom put me in her jacket and off we would go and I was only a couple months old. No helmuts for us either. I had cloths on tho but no shoes as I was small then. It was over 40 years ago tho.
I've also heard of guys jumping out of airplanes and their parachute failing to open, but somehow they survived it. Still, I wouldn't recommend jumping out of airplanes with faulty parachutes. Even 40 years ago I wouldn't think it was a wise practice.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I used to ride in front of my Dad, held onto the handlebars in the middle..
I survived... but I wasn't a toddler, I was probably 4 years old..
I started riding by myself when I was 5, a Western Auto Mini Bike, 5HP Briggs.. 8)

I even got spankings when I was a kid...

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hmmmm.... why aren't the kids speaking up that were killed 40 years ago when their parents took them for a ride as a toddler? Obviously it must be 100% safe or they would be chipping in with their stories, no?

·
Registered
21,137 Posts
hopefully the kid and Dad were having a good experience, or maybe u don't think thats possible ?

sometimes u have to wonder about some folks

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
When I was a kid and I did something wrong or stupid I would be told by whoever saw it, whether it be a neighbor, a friend of the family, a teacher or even a stranger. In other words my parents didn't need to be around for me to get guidance or to be told what was right or what was wrong.

Today, our society is struggling because it's not politically correct or acceptable anymore to correct someone else's child when they need it, , point out a person's bad decisions or bad behavior, express concern about moral decisions people make, et cetera.

While people have a right to live their life their way, if they are making decisions that affect others, I believe we have a responsibility to speak up and or take action to protect those who cannot protect themselves or are too young to make informed decisions.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't have anything against kids riding on a bike. I just think it is irresponsible for someone to put a baby on a bike without clothes or helmet. Too many things can happen.

JMO

Ernie

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
markj said:
My Mom put me in her jacket and off we would go and I was only a couple months old.
That sounds a whole lot more safe, especialy if your Mom was Dolly Parton. :D

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Even 40 years ago I wouldn't think it was a wise practice.
Mom was driving, it was the only method of transportation we had, they were just 17 when I was born. I am not saying I did it with my kids. I waited until my son was 2 and he rode around the campground a few times between me and my wife then we did a longer ride maybe 30 miles or so. He now rides his own PW50 on my place out in the country, he is 4.

That sounds a whole lot more safe, especialy if your Mom was Dolly Parton
Ride to eat...... :) she is a busty gal but not as dolly. :)

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
What a Nazi. For all you know the guy had his first ride the same way and has been doing two wheels all his life. People need to mind their own fv<king business and quit trying to police strangers.

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
RIGHT ON POLECAT!!! :clap2: :clap2: :yes1:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts