GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone thought of putting a dummy cb antenna on the left side? Just for looks?? My last GW had the dual antennas and I like to look... Comments? ty

·
Registered
368 Posts
Drilling more holes in the trunk and putting in a dummy antenna for looks doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Most people would give anything to hide the antenna they have. J&M has a shorter CB antenna to mitigate the look of the whip as much as possible. I believe that Honda has embossed on the inside of the trunk on the right side 2 marks for where to drill holes for the CB antenna. I would suspect those marks are missing on the left side, so you'd be shotgunning where to drill the holes.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Actually, I'd like to find a way to get rid of the one antenna. I forget to lower it sometimes, and it stags on the garage door when I close it. I also believe, as does hullkss, it would look cleaner without an antenna.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Has anyone thought of putting a dummy cb antenna on the left side? Just for looks?? My last GW had the dual antennas and I like to look... Comments? ty
Believe it or not there was a guy a while back selling dummy antennas. He made all kinds of claims that didn't really hold water like it evened things out and kept the bike from pulling one way or the other and claimed it looked better to boot. Don't think it went over very well. I know some Florida Prowlers that actually have the one antenna for both CB and the juke box. To each his own.

·
Canuck
2,841 Posts
Reminds me, back in the day, when car phones were first introduced. You could buy a dummy car phone or antenna, hold the phone to your ear, and look important 'cause you had a car phone.

Reactions: Drair and laen

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Funny, reminds me, back in the day, when car phones were first introduced, I had both..... Antenna/phone dummies.... Couldn't afford the real thing... you could get the antennas for .99 cents. I had one on my old 750 Honda.... LOL

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Actually, I'd like to find a way to get rid of the one antenna. I forget to lower it sometimes, and it stags on the garage door when I close it. I also believe, as does hullkss, it would look cleaner without an antenna.
I didn't get rid of it, but I did put on the shorty CB antenna from J&M. I think it works better then the original Honda part. The only thing you need to do to install it is unscrew the Honda one and screw in the J&M on. Total of 1 minute. Now when I raise the bike on my table lift the antenna no longer hits the ceiling! It cost less than $50 too!

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,542 Posts
I always liked the duel antennas on the old bike...but now after the 2018, the antennas look old and dated to me now. The bike definitely looks better without any antennas.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm currently planning to add 2 dummy antennas on my bike. But one will not for just looks. I plan to install it to the original hidden radio antenna to make reception better.
By the way I wonder Honda oem cb antennas for the new goldwing is foldable just like the old gen ?

·
Registered
19,228 Posts
Drilling more holes in the trunk and putting in a dummy antenna for looks doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Most people would give anything to hide the antenna they have. J&M has a shorter CB antenna to mitigate the look of the whip as much as possible. I believe that Honda has embossed on the inside of the trunk on the right side 2 marks for where to drill holes for the CB antenna. I would suspect those marks are missing on the left side, so you'd be shotgunning where to drill the holes.

Would you drill two holes on your autos trunk -one real and one dummy to add a 70s technology CB & antenna? Maybe the answer is yes.

For me the answer is for your riding partners to accept modern technology with BT Sena type systems.

If I accepted the old 70s CB technology(which I don't) I would add a front fork antenna like the BMW

·
Registered
711 Posts
Reminds me, back in the day, when car phones were first introduced. You could buy a dummy car phone or antenna, hold the phone to your ear, and look important 'cause you had a car phone.
And J.C.Whitney sold fake CB antenna's in the era of "Smokey and the Bandit" which they hyped as "...for that CB look!" :laugh:

Reactions: PaulC

·
Registered
529 Posts
^^^^^
Nice-looking bike.

My bike already has one dummy on it .....no need to add another one.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
The stripes look great

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts