GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last fall the ahhh, wind, yeah, that's it ,the "wind" blew over my 'Wing, putting fairly deep scratches in the right lower saddle bag, minor scratch on the front fender, and minor on the right mirror & t/s lens. Also broke the break lever. Don't ever try to use the brake lever as a kick stand. I'm here to testify that it sucks. Now , my question. Does anyone know if automotive type body fillers will adhere to the tupperware? Or something else? I'm desperate now, there's no way I want to pay for a new bag.
Help. TIA
Steve

G

·
About a year ago, somebody backed into the front plastic (ABS?) bumper on my Buick Rendesvouz and punched 2 -2" dia holes in it. Cost to replace it would have been over $1000. A local body shop here said they could repair it and they did for $350. You can't tell it ever happened. The Ins Co. paid for a new bumper and I pocketed the difference. The Ins Co. wrote a check to the body shop for a new bumper and the body shop refunded me the difference. And yes, that is legal. I have the right to have it repaired any way I choose.

I assume your gouge can be fixed and you save some :money1:

Good Luck!

·
Vendor
22,503 Posts
Call Ron Ayers

The plastic on the Wings panels is made of ABS plastic. Cracks and breaks can be repaired, but body filler is NOT going to work on it.

You can buy ABS cement in the plumbing sections of some hardware stores. It works miracles on broken fairing tabs and the like. However, it can be hard to find. Do not use the stuff labeled for PVC & ABS. It won't work. It has to be ABS only cement and should be black in color.

Here is a web site that has it.

http://www.herchem.com/Products/ABS.htm

As for scratches and gouges, I don't know if you can weld them and then try to file/sand them smooth or not. Then you would have to get it repainted. I bet by the time you were done, you would have spent as much as if you just replaced the scratched parts.

If it were me, I would call Ron Ayers and see what a whole new panel would cost, already color matched. I bet it is not as much as you think. Ron Ayers has great prices, way below what a dealer will quote you.

Ron Ayers Motorsports
1929 North Memorial Drive
Greenville, NC 27834

Phone: 1.800.888.3084
http://www.ronayers.com/main.cfm

I don't know if Hal carries body panels or not, but you might also try him and see if he does.

Good luck!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Body repairs

About a year ago, the wind blew MY Wing over whilst it was sitting in my trailer waiting to be strapped down. Really! It was the wind. Not because the trailer was sitting on an angle or anything.

Scratched the bejesus outta the righ saddlebag.

I took it to a local body shop that the Honda dealer uses and a week later, I got it back. Perfect repair and only 60.00.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I agree with the just buy another one theory. I have been a FYG (fix it yourself guy) most of my life, yet as I have matured I try other ways when possible.

Contact any of the trike conversion places and they might have what you need at a fair price.

Also check out GWRRA.Org and look to the upper right corner for their link/sites box and get their classified for sale catagory they have a lot of things for sale, you might luck out.

Buck Yellow Wing
:lol: 8) :lol: :goflag: :yw1:

·
Registered
267 Posts
I agree with the just buy another one theory. I have been a FYG (fix it yourself guy) most of my life, yet as I have matured I try other ways when possible.

Contact any of the trike conversion places and they might have what you need at a fair price.

Also check out GWRRA.Org and look to the upper right corner for their link/sites box and get their classified for sale catagory they have a lot of things for sale, you might luck out.

Buck Yellow Wing
:lol: 8) :lol: :goflag: :yw1:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would like to thank all of you who responded to my question. I really appreciate it. I definitley learned some good things. It really surprised me to hear that it's made of ABS. I thought it was polypro or polyethelene. ABS is the easiest to work with.
Again, thank you.
Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.