GL1800Riders Forums banner

dun e3 harsh ride

1K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Italian Stallion 
#1 ·
is it me , or dose the e3 really ride that bad . i got a used one from rail to get thru the season . but the noise and ride are terrible , yes i have a traxxion shock , but this started right after i put on the tire :eek:4::eek:4::eek:4::eek:4::eek:4:

#2 ·
I have E3's on my '08 and I think they ride hard also. They seem to stick pretty good in the twisties but they do seem harsh. I've also noticed that they do not like tar snakes. I've also ridden on D250's, Avon Cobras, and Bridgestone 702/704's and I don't remember any of them being so harsh with maybe the D250's in a close second.

#3 ·
I think it may be you. E3 is not on my favorites list, but I have used a set or three and din not notice roughness as a trait. Cupping and can give any tire a wash board type of vibe and if your tire was used that could be it. If the tire is really old, maybe it has hardened, check its born-on date.

prs

#4 ·
The E3 probably has the stiffest sidewalls of any of the moto tires...so it is what it is. But that is not necessarily a bad thing if you have a flat.

It also seems to be one of the noisiest tires as it seems to cup early then sing a lot. Especially the rear tire.

As far as I know, the Traxxion won't do much to an already cupped tire. For my bike, I haven't had a cupped tire since it was Traxxionized and I don't run E3s anymore.

#9 ·
I rode E3's on mine for 72000 miles and yes, they give a harsher ride than some other tires. And they are noisy when they start to cup. I am currently running Metzelers and I love them. The ride is much more compliant and I love the smooth way they handle. HOWEVER---with about 6000+ miles on them, they are now very noisy in the curves. Lean the bike, even just a little, and they start up with a high frequency humming sound. On one stretch of smooth, new pavement, I could even feel a high frequency buzzing/tingling in the seat that went away when I straightened up the bike. Any suggestions here? I run 41/41 in them.

#10 ·
I had a set of E3's installed prior to my PNW tour. I have been pleased with the performance and have a slight howl now after 8K when cornering but nothing excessive. I'm getting great wear out of the tires. I run 39 PSI F and 42R. I do have dyna beads in both tires and so far no real cupping going on. and no wobble. The tour was two up pulling a camper.

My next set of tires will be E3's.

Fred

#11 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.