GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

I recently picked up a level 3 2014. It is my second 1800. Had a 03 some years ago. Bought it from a Harley dealer. They did go over the entire bike. When I first looked at it there was a CT on the back. They hadn't gone over the bike yet and didn't realize the CT was there. I called a few days later to ask the salesman to see which CT was on the bike. He called back a said they had already installed two new Dunflop D250's on the bike. Obviously I'm not a fan of Dunlop tires.

I've just started DJ's slow speed control exercises. My concern is the tires. My question is how concerned should I be? Should they be fine at these slow speed?

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
They will be fine for any slow speed parking lot stuff... No worries.

·
Registered
304 Posts
When I rode sport touring bikes, I preferred the Dunlops. They eventually quit making the size for C-10 Concours and other tires were okay but the Dunlops were the best handling.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Tire brand also depends on the tire model.

(just like headsets - depends on model, perhaps more than brand, as they leap-frog each other with features.

D250's were one of the factory installs back in the day (later the changed to only the 'stone 704/709 combo and removed the reference to the D250's from the manual and from the label on the inside of the trunk lid.

Like may others, I detested the D250's, tried several other types and then settled on E3's.

I eventually tried and then switched to the G704/709.

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
Hello everyone

I recently picked up a level 3 2014. It is my second 1800. Had a 03 some years ago. Bought it from a Harley dealer. They did go over the entire bike. When I first looked at it there was a CT on the back. They hadn't gone over the bike yet and didn't realize the CT was there. I called a few days later to ask the salesman to see which CT was on the bike. He called back a said they had already installed two new Dunflop D250's on the bike. Obviously I'm not a fan of Dunlop tires.

I've just started DJ's slow speed control exercises. My concern is the tires. My question is how concerned should I be? Should they be fine at these slow speed?

Thanks for the input.

Stay with the recommended tires, Bridgestone G704, G709.:smile2:

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
The D250s are fine. They'll last a long time. They just aren't greatest on wet roads - you have to slow down and be a little more cautious as they don't stick like the Bridgestones.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. That’s kind of what I was thinking. They should be fine for slow speed stuff. I gotta say I’ve never seen so many chicken strips on a tire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts