GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
This is my first entry as most of my questions have been answered by browsing around on the various message boards.
Does anyone out there have more than 17K on their Dunlops? I picked up my 06 goldwing Febuary of this year after three years of riding an 02 VTX
with 29k on that bike I had run thru 3 sets of tires. Now with just over 17K these tires are still looking good. I have kept the pressures @ 41 rear and 36 front, and have riden the wing just as agressively if not more so...

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
GC, Welcome to the board!
Changed my Dunlop E3s at 18,480 miles but I could have gone another 1000 or so. Changed them out then because of a scheduled 2000 + trip.
I run 41 front 43 rear on mostly flat and straight Florida roads. They handled well on the Dragon last summer (post Wing Ding).

·
Registered
143 Posts
Tire wear

Took delivery on March 2,06 and have got just short of 12k miles. Tires are still looking good and know wobble to worry about. Sort of have to pick my riding days this time of year. Left the driveway Saturday at 29 degrees, that was farenheit degrees. Tom

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
My last 2 sets of D-250 Dunlops went just a tad over 16,500 miles and still were not down to the wear bars....never any wobble on either sets or the set I now have on my 05 .... for those reasons I will stick to
Dunlops.... if anyone has any D-250's they took off their bike .. and still in good shape .. let me know..I will finish wearing them out for ya...

cosmic

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Aggressive means different things to different riders. What is aggressive to me may mean warm up exercise to Yellow Wolf, and a long trip for me may mean a walk in the park for others. Any way you cut it, aggressive riding will not get 20,000 miles out of a pair of wing tires, I don't care who built them. I am pretty conservative, and get about 10K per set.

·
Registered
346 Posts
What tire pressures are you guys using on your stock Dunlops?

The manual suggests 36 Front, 41 Rear.

How many of you use these pressures?

·
Registered
41 Posts

41 in the front & rear
Stock Dunlops D-250

·
Registered
95 Posts
the stock lops on my 05 lasted 12k. i could have went another 1-2k, but was heading across country, found a set of metz and decided to go ahead and change them. my first set of lops back in 02 only lasted 9k. i was pleasantly surprised with these.

i tend to run the tires on the tight side at 41/43.

·
Extra Spicy Seasoned Member
1,448 Posts
Got 20K out of my last set of E3's. Could have gone a little longer but a long trip was coming up. Ran them at 41/41. The new set started to howl at about 8K. Have a set of ME880's waiting to go on next. The E3's are too tough to mount.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
gopdebeek said:

When I went to Knoxville to the Hoot... the Dunlop folks recommends
running 2 lbs less than maxium which is stated on the tire sidewall...
for optium traction and tire longivity... according to the Dunlop rep inflating a tire more can reduce the foot print where the tire contacts the road and reduce traction and lessen safety - especially on wet roads...

I run 40lbs rear and 39 front on my tires (D-250 Dunlops) first 2 sets
went for about 16,500 miles.. present set has 14,300 miles and lots of rubber left... no cupping on any of my tires to date...and no "Wobble"

cosmic

·
Registered
651 Posts
I picked up my '06 Wing on June 22nd, and have just short of 11K on the OEM tires. They have just about had it. I've kept them at 38 front, and 41 rear. I'm going to change them in the next couple of weeks. I had a '03 VTX1800R, and would change the rear every 6K, then tried the E3's and gor 10K out of the rear before I traded it in. I ride the Wing like I used to ride the "Beast"

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
IR Harry... I think you have got to be spot on with that. I keep hearing of 16,000 and 20,000 miles on one set or another. Its rare I get more than 10,000 on a rear but I do think it might have happened once. On my front I have been a bit luckier and made 12,000 a few times. On my V rod I get 7 thousand on the rear if I push it past the wear bars. On the front I should get 10 maybe even 11,000.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I don't remember exactly when I put the front on, but I have 17K on the rear. It was changed after the front. So, I probably have about 20K on the front. They're Metzlers.

My front is gone and I need to get a new one so, I'm gonna switch both. I'm going to Bridgestones. I like the Metzlers, but they have the wobble. I didn't have it when I had D250s. I hear good stuff about the Stones so I'm gonna try them.

I'm not an agressive rider. In fact I get passed by little old ladies, but I'm having fun anyway. :D

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
I just replaced my D250,s 15,050 smiles with Stones. I could have gone a couple G,s more. Planning a long trip in Dec. The Stones have a better ride and Quiet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts