GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 1800 home for just a week so far, 9500 miles on it. I will be buying a new rear tire soon, just to have it on hand for when I consider the original tire ready for "retire"ment. My question is: "How many miles should this tire last, considering average 2 up operation?"

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
In a MCN survey they've been lasting 10-15k. A few a lot less, a few a lot more.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I find the Dunlops get good mileage... my 02 came with Bridgestones..
at 6,000 miles they cupped badly.. and at 9,500 they were completely
worn out.. i changed to Dunlop 250's... first set went just a tad over
16,500 miles .. second set did about the same.. I now have a 05 GL1800 with Dunlops ... hope they do as well at the previous Dunlops..
by the way.. i run 41 read & 38 front tire pressures.. and I check them
often...

cosmic

·
Registered
918 Posts
I replaced my front at 12K, would have gone 15K; but was going on trip.

My rear I just replaced at 16K, could have gone some more. At 41psi it was cupped real bad and had been that way for quite a while. I ride two up about 50% of the time (in terms of mileage).

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i just changed mine yesterday

15 500 miles

and there was still good tread, but i ahev a 2500 mile trip next week,a nd didnt want to worry about it

very nice mileage out of the factory tire

too bad it is so slippery when wet

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have 16.5K on the rear and will still be able to finish out the riding season with it. Just had the 16k checkup and they never enen mentioned the rear. The front went at 8K because of cupping.

Rich

·
Registered
54 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Replaced my with 12000 mile with a couple thousand miles of thread left. Took advantage of getting anther set of tires while still in stock. I had Dunlops, and kept Dunlops. While others say they are bad in the rain, I think they are great in the rain. I travel much slower in the rain and avoid white lines.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts