GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the Dunlop Elite 3's first hit the market, they were suppose to be tires to die for.
Now after 2-3 years of usage, what happen??

·
Chard Member
12,969 Posts
Wi_Winger said:
When the Dunlop Elite 3's first hit the market, they were suppose to be tires to die for.
Now after 2-3 years of usage, what happen??
I rank them right up there as junk with Metzelers. My experience is I wouldn't run either one for free again! :(

The D250 is a fantastic tire compared to the E3's. My 3's went to heck at 4,000 miles. The rear looked like someone had taken a carving knife to it. I bet only 50% of the tire was hitting the ground.

·
Tattooed Freak
510 Posts
The D250 is a fantastic tire compared to the E3's. My 3's went to heck at 4,000 miles. The rear looked like someone had taken a carving knife to it. I bet only 50% of the tire was hitting the ground.[/quote]

i'll agree with red. rear wore like #$%@. front was ok at best.
i'll run the 250's not one problem with them for me. and 14,000 miles hard riding

·
Registered
887 Posts
Most of the guys I know that run the bias version on their GL1500s are very happy with them. Just thinking out loud I guess....strange that the bias ones seem to hold up but the radials don't.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Tire experience

This is just MY expereince, not intended to create any problems. I got 16200 on the original D250s. I liked them and would have bought them again but a freind talked me into Avon Venom R's. I liked the way they handled and stuck to the road, I didn't like the way they BOTH separated at 12k while on a long trip. I might add that I tend to ride aggessively (to me anyway). I am on my 4th set of foot pegs due to scraping pavement. After the Avons I went to the E3's. The tread design was similar to the Avons and like I said I liked the way the Avons handled. I got 17k on the first set of E3's. I got just over 17K on the second set, needles to say I am on My third set of E3's and have had no regrets with any of the Dunlop line. I did not venture into the Bridgstone market simply because I had a good freind nearly crash due to a rear Bridgestone slinging it's tread off at 70 mph. Not a pretty sight. Again, THIS IS JUST MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. Frank

·
Registered
312 Posts
I think a lot of what you hear depends on local road surfaces and weather. A tire that's great on granitic asphalt may suck on dolomitic asphalt; dry vs wet; etc. So when someone say's "they're great" or "they suck" it may mean nothing to you unless you're from the same area and ride the same way.

I lost my original d250's to a puncture at 8000 miles. I switched to E3's and love 'em. I'm at 27000 miles now (that's 19K miles on the E3s) , and am not yet down to the wear bars. I'll change the tires to new E3s when the wear bars show or I hit 32K miles, whichever comes first.

Long mileage, great wet grip here on New England roads... what's not to like?

(BTW, I keep the tires at 41/41 and check pressure and tread before every ride; tires have Ride-On sealant inside, but I've never had a puncture.)

Different roads, different conditions, different riders may give different results. But beware of "one size fits all" answers to your question.

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
I have 8K on E3s they are getting loud,my rear also looks like a carving knife was after it. The E3s new seemed to grip better than the D250s. The D250s drifted more but last longer. I may go to a Bridegestone 709 front and a D250 rear

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Strange how everyone's opinions are so different. I am on my second set of E3's and I love them. I have never had better mileage out of a tire and I am waiting for them to come off of back order. Hopefully that will happen before spring.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Interesting how people ridicule different brands of tires. I have run Metzelers since 1998. Never had a problem with any of them. I don't think there is very much of a difference between any of the major brands. Run whatever makes you happy. JMHO.

·
Registered
651 Posts
As said before, It is interesting how opions vary on tires. I'm just about to put E3's on my wing with just short of 11,000 miles. I ran the E3's on my VTX1800R and loved them. Got 10,000 miles out od the rear brfore I sold the VTX. I ran Metzlers on it prior to the E3's and loved them too, but I could only get 6000 miles out of the rear. I'm going to put a E3 on the rear of my Wing and a Bridgestone on the front due to tire availability. Can't wait to see how she rides......

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Don't want to bring up the wobble thing, BUT I never had a problem with the D250's. My bike only has 17, 000 miles on it, had 11,020 on it in May when I bought it. Had E3's put on about 1,000 miles ago. Can hardly wait until the wear out or just pi$$ me off and I change anyway. IMHO they suck.

·
Registered
425 Posts
My D-250's were toast at 7000 miles. Complete toast. The E-3's I put on were OK but had the dreaded wobble. They were wearing at about the same rate as the 250's before I sold the bike. My next tire try would have been the Metz's or Stone's.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My E3's have 12K+ and look great. I have a new set ready for a long trip I plan for June.

No wobble, little noise.

·
Registered
20,952 Posts
i couldn't resist giving the E3's a try

put 23,000 miles on the set

no big complaints but i do prefer the Metzlers and probably won't buy E3's again, but never say never

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Every time I think I have figured out what to put on mine when they need replacing (very soon!), I read that someone nearly died because that tire separated on them in the middle of nowhere. I'm surprised any of these tires are still on the market!

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
I went through two sets of E-3s. I hesitated on teh second set, but got them anyway. Got about 12,000 on both sets which is similar to my Avon experience and better than my Bridgestone experience. Got no wobbles, but as teh tires wore past their half life the traction really fell off and I was not confident on them there after -- 8,000 miles oc candy assed riding style was not as much fun. Avons will rip through the twisties from new to bald. I have Metz on order and hope they will too.

prs

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I was quite surprised how slippery the E3's fel in wet conditions. Pretty close to D250 IMHO. I expected better.

Satisfied, not wowed, by the dry handling.

Sound doesn't bother me or even notice it actually.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
I just put on these on my GL1500, they're Loud "Less than 500 mi"! Ijust put "Stones" on my GL1800, Quiet! I, So far Like the Stones! They give a better ride than the D250's! I had 15050mi. on the 250's and they were rough after 4500mi. STONES for me at this time, although minimal mi. yet! Great Grip as I rode this morn on wet conditions.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I got 7K out of the OEM Dunlop 250s. The E-3s gave me 14K (70 rear). Just installed Bridgestones (70 rear) and like them alot.

I loved the E-3s and they handle well in all sorts of weather, including the rainy season here. They had the normal reported noise, but wore very well and I had no complaints.

The Bridgestones ease into turns much better than the E-3s. (Less resistance). This makes sense when you hold each model of tire. The E-3s are much heavier than the Bridgestones and the gyroscopics force of a heavier tire would need to overcome more resistance in a turn.

I was very happy with the E-3s all around and would buy again if I was doing more super slab riding for extended periods.

So far the Stones are handling very well. we're about to start the rainy season here so I'll have to experince them and also see how many miles I get before replacement.

Chuck
MBD

1 - 20 of 22 Posts