GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just curious if there are any actual user reviews yet since they have become available. Not looking for a review of a Bridgestone or a CT..... I have run them both. Looking for info on the Elite 4 only....

Wingstuff has the matched set available now, only about $70 more than the stones, and I am considering trying a set.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have them on mine [ E4 ], and like them much better then stock Dunlops that came on it. Stock Dunlops were sketchy at best. Never rode with the Bridgestones on 2018. Had the E4s on my 07 wing also and they were great and got good mileage out of them Had Bridgestones on 07 also, they were good also but dropped off after mileage.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have them on mine [ E4 ], and like them much better then stock Dunlops that came on it. Stock Dunlops were sketchy at best. Never rode with the Bridgestones on 2018. Had the E4s on my 07 wing also and they were great and got good mileage out of them Had Bridgestones on 07 also, they were good also but dropped off after mileage.
Mine came with the Dunlop’s too which seemed to perform well, even in wet conditions but at 8K, the rear is shot.

I really like the stickyness of the stones but boy do they wear fast.

Fred.... I used to have the same issues with the Dunlops of old but the ones that came on my bike worked as well in the rain as the stones I used to run and I rode a lot in the rain in the mountains last summer.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
My friend has E4 on his 08 wing and hasn't had good luck with them..they are coming apart like in this photo and Dunlop wont stand behind the tire
15781477371797809188256268141033.png

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did Dunlop give your friend an explanation for not standing behind this tire failure? Looks like it was just down to the wear bars, regardless, I haven't seen a tire failure like this before.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I've got 15,000 miles on a set of Dunlop E4's, and have been coast-to-coast a couple of times with them. They still have good wear left in them. I've ridden in heat over 100 and cold down to 25 degrees. Bone dry, biblical downpours, and heavy snow. They have gripped well and performed as expected in all conditions.

·
Love The DCT
11,374 Posts
Did Dunlop give your friend an explanation for not standing behind this tire failure? Looks like it was just down to the wear bars, regardless, I haven't seen a tire failure like this before.
Those aren't wear bars. New Elite 4's look the same.
Dunlop Elite 4 Rear.jpg

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Has anybody bought the newly released E4’s for the 2018+ bikes? Those are the ones I am interested in learning about.

·
Love The DCT
11,374 Posts
Has anybody bought the newly released E4’s for the 2018+ bikes? Those are the ones I am interested in learning about.
I put a set on my 18 wing before putting it away for the winter. Won't be able to give a decent ride report till the snow/salt/sand is gone from the roads.
?

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
He told me the guy that looked at his pictures said his tire was close to worn out even though clunks of rubber are coming off the tire like in the picture I posted and wouldn't do anything for him..that picture is not my friends tire, it just looks similar to his tire...anyways... I think that Dunlop had a limited bad production run with the E4 180/60-16 rear tire. I also dont think Dunlop would keep making tires with flaws and would fix whatever was the cause of this issue pretty fast...never the less my friend says he is done with Dunlop.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He told me the guy that looked at his pictures said his tire was close to worn out even though clunks of rubber are coming off the tire like in the picture I posted and wouldn't do anything for him..that picture is not my friends tire, it just looks similar to his tire...anyways... I think that Dunlop had a limited bad production run with the E4 180/60-16 rear tire. I also dont think Dunlop would keep making tires with flaws and would fix whatever was the cause of this issue pretty fast...never the less my friend says he is done with Dunlop.
LOL......So.....the worn out tire that Dunlop won’t stand behind is something someone told you about and the picture you posted isn’t even the actual tire? I guess I got a completely different message from your original post.....

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
LOL......So.....the worn out tire that Dunlop won’t stand behind is something someone told you about and the picture you posted isn’t even the actual tire? I guess I got a completely different message from your original post.....
Well the tire really wasnt wore out..maybe 4000 miles...but the guy at Dunlop was claiming that from a picture..the real point I was making is that the E4 was throwing chunks of rubber off the tire that looked very much like that picture I posted.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My experience with every Dunlop tire I have used is that they don't have good grip in the wet. I'd be interested to hear how these do in the rain.
I rode E4s on my 18 in the wet for 2 days right after I put them on in the mountains in N Carolina & Tn and they worked real good and held in there. I cant compare them to Bridgestones on my 18 cause I have never had them on my 18 But on my 07 they worked good new but dropped off by 6-7 miles with a couple thousand miles left in them. on my 07 the E4s got twice the mileage then both Dunlops and Bridgestones

·
Registered
564 Posts
I recently put an E4 on the rear to try it out for a while, I have 3 rear rims so it is easy to swap to something else "just to try it". So far, it has made 3 day ride RTE trips, all in dry Wx.... I need to take it out tmw and see how it handles on wet pavement.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I went through three sets of E3's on my 2004 GW and never had an issue in the rain. I ran one set of E3's from Ohio to Fairbanks, AK and back and then rode the same tires from Ohio to California and back. 20K on those tires. The rear was done when I got home and the front had a couple grand left on them. Changed them both. I asked all 3 riders who was going on the California trip with me if they felt the tires were good for the RT. All three said yes. I will try E4's when the OEM stones are done on my 2018 DCT. I will say the OEM stones jumped out on me in the rain in WV and the traction control on the bike caught it.

I think any tire will slip in the right amount of oil, water, sand, too much throttle or combination there of.

ps....pulled a Mini Mate camper on the Alaska trip.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I installed E4's on my Nomad after several sets of Michelin Commander II (which I liked except for the wet road traction after they were 50% worn). I thought they were the best tires I had on that bike, after E3's Avon Venoms, and the Michelins. When i bought the Wing, I was happy to see that the previous owner had installed E4's on it just 100 miles before selling it to me. I only have about 1500 miles or so on since then, but so far I am satisfied with how they handle on this bike. I have ridden on wet roads, but not in a downpour (yet). They stick fine and ride well up to this point. Hopefully the mileage will be satisfactory as well. If so, I would replace them with the same thing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts