GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the Elite 4 tires on the bike today. My 2018 is one of the bikes that came with Dunlop from the factory. The original tires lasted 11,000 miles I replaced the original tires with the Bridgestone and right after that I noticed a slight handlebar shimmy around 45 mph. The Bridgestone rear tire only lasted 8,000 miles before it needed replaced front was still good but since I was changing brands and because of the shimmy I decided to change both tires. After installing the Dunlop tires the shimmy has disappeared I can set the cruise on 45 and take my hands off the bars and zero wobble.
I will be interested in what kind of mileage I will get from the Elite 4s since they advertise that they will last longer than other tires

·
Registered
153 Posts
I rode 30,000 kms on the original Bridgestones and was quite happy with that but I could easily break the rear tire loose and the TC light would flash. I now have a new Dunlop Sportmax only because I got it cheap from a trike conversion and with 2,000 kms on it I really think it handles better and it has better traction than the Bridgestone, can't break it loose with acceleration. I doubt it will last as long tho.
How is rear wheel traction for the E4 compared to the other 2? Can you break it loose by just accelerating hard from a stop on dry pavement?

·
Registered
86 Posts
i went from the stones with 12200 on them to the elite 4 and love then very good tire.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
A shimmy on new E-4 front tire seems standard but vanishes with a few hundred miles for me. Its the added centerline groove. Rain ribbed roads are a bit alerting the first time but it goes away, I'm on my third pair (16-17k miles for me).

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have noticed the the shimmy on the Bridgestone tires in between 40-50mph if I take my hands off the bars. The Dunlop's did not do this. But the shimmy is reduced to the high 90 percentile by just holding the bar even with just one hand (I know don't let go of the bars). The problem is with the Dunlop's I only got 11,000 miles on them and the Bridgestone's I now have over 11,000 miles on them and they are good for another 10,000 miles. Anyone know if anything can be done to stop the shimmy?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A shimmy on new E-4 front tire seems standard but vanishes with a few hundred miles for me. Its the added centerline groove. Rain ribbed roads are a bit alerting the first time but it goes away, I'm on my third pair (16-17k miles for me).

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
I installed the Elite 4 tires on the bike today. My 2018 is one of the bikes that came with Dunlop from the factory. The original tires lasted 11,000 miles I replaced the original tires with the Bridgestone and right after that I noticed a slight handlebar shimmy around 45 mph. The Bridgestone rear tire only lasted 8,000 miles before it needed replaced front was still good but since I was changing brands and because of the shimmy I decided to change both tires. After installing the Dunlop tires the shimmy has disappeared I can set the cruise on 45 and take my hands off the bars and zero wobble.
I will be interested in what kind of mileage I will get from the Elite 4s since they advertise that they will last longer than other tires
Really likening These elite 4 tires so far. Was practicing some social distancing yesterday and went on a 750 mile solo ride out into rural Oklahoma (no beef shortage there). The tires are smooth as butter and was able to ride on all kinds of road surfaces. Loved the way they performed. Did not seem overly glitchy on the rain grooved pavement, or seem squirrely on the asphalt that gets the long grooves in the lane. Was warm and dry yesterday so can't say for the wet road performance, but I am sure I will have a chance to check that out later.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Bridgestone's I now have over 11,000 miles on them and they are good for another 10,000 miles.
Wow, that's unbelievable. 😮 Two of my riding buddies changed their Stones out at about 11,000 miles. I expect mine to last about the same, with the rear one maybe getting to 12,000 miles. But no way they could get to 21,000 miles. That's unheard of. Not sure how you're doing this, but good on you.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Really likening These elite 4 tires so far. Was practicing some social distancing yesterday and went on a 750 mile solo ride out into rural Oklahoma (no beef shortage there). The tires are smooth as butter and was able to ride on all kinds of road surfaces. Loved the way they performed. Did not seem overly glitchy on the rain grooved pavement, or seem squirrely on the asphalt that gets the long grooves in the lane. Was warm and dry yesterday so can't say for the wet road performance, but I am sure I will have a chance to check that out later.
This is my experience as well on my DCT. I have about 1000 miles on the E4s now and am very happy with them.

Reactions: Art H.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, that's unbelievable. 😮 Two of my riding buddies changed their Stones out at about 11,000 miles. I expect mine to last about the same, with the rear one maybe getting to 12,000 miles. But no way they could get to 21,000 miles. That's unheard of. Not sure how you're doing this, but good on you.
Easy Peesy put the center stand down drop her in gear and go. Amazing what kind of mileage you can get😉

·
Registered
159 Posts
Mounted my Elite 4 on the first off may 2020. Now 14000 (8700 Miles) Km later My front tyre is gone. Original depth was 4.4 mm and now there is only 1 mm left. Rear tire originnal dept was 8 mm still 5,5 mm left. So I wil need 2 front tire to 1 rear tire. The good news is I can reach 30000 Km (18700 miles) with the rear.. front tire GL1800, 14000Km.jpg rear tire gl1800, 14000 Km.jpg

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
Best mileage I ever got from my wings was with using the Dunlop E3 rear with a Bridgestone G709 front. I would get 15k miles from that setup. I got 11k miles from the OEM Bridgestones with this 2018...I put a Bridgestone G709 on the front to see if it get better mileage than the OEM Bridgestone did. I think Im going to try a E4 rear and G709 front combo with this 2018 with the hope of better mileage like I got before with the E3.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2018 came with Dunlops from the factory. I got 11,900 miles on them and went to the dealer this past Friday to replace with Bridgestones (Told on the phone they had them in stock). I get to the dealer and they tell me they don't have Stones in stock, they say they don't keep them because new gen Gold Wing riders don't like them and someone told me wrong. I begrudgingly take the Dunlops. Riding 100 miles to the dealer and back home in the rain both ways and I can tell a huge difference in the performance. On the old tires I'm in rain mode and doing 55 to the dealer. Coming home in tour mode and comfortable doing 70. I have a prejudice towards Dunlops from a crappy rear tire that got barely 8,000 miles on my old Shadow and was really looking forward to Bridgestones due to my experience with them on my 2005 Gold Wing. I have to say from the wet performance alone I might be sold on E4 Dunlops. Time will tell.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I just put E4’s on my 2018 DCT after getting 10,600 miles on the original Dunlops. Was disappointed that I didn’t get more, but curious to see what I get on the E4’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Been a Dunlop fan for decades - literally.

I like my Elite 4's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts