1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
616 Posts
Nice, are these the same style tires Dunlop makes for the Harley touring bikes? They look like them.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. They are designed for high mileage while maintaining good grip. They are dual compound, harder in the center and soft on the edges. On my previous bike I got around 8k rear and 10k front with factory tires. With these I got 15k rear and 18k front and never felt like I gave up grip wet or dry. And I am a very aggressive rider.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I have yet to find any Dunlop tire that didn't totally loose grip in the wet. The last E4's I tried suffered the same problem.
I agree and I also found that the hard center compound on the E4 makes for a very unsettling ride. When you get about 7,000 to 8,000 miles, that center hard compound likes to follow groves in the pavement. It is especially annoying on concrete that has rain grooves in it.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
16,985 Posts
I am puzzled at the poor performance in wet/damp conditions I experienced with Dunlop tires on the previous model GL1800. I WILLNOT try them again unless I begin seeing consistently positive reports from riders.

prs

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I am puzzled at the poor performance in wet/damp conditions I experienced with Dunlop tires on the previous model GL1800. I WILLNOT try them again unless I begin seeing consistently positive reports from riders.

prs
I am a Bridgestone guy too! ......But my new DCT came with Lops on it and I have flogged them pretty hard and have been pretty impressed so far with how sticky they are. I have also ridden in the rain a few times and have not had any negative affects either.

So far, so good....

Reactions: thekid

·
Registered
8,749 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
All these posts about Dunlops getting bad rain traction surprise me, but now that I sit and think about it, one of my biggest scares while riding in the rain was a few years ago on my Harley Road Glide with a set of Dunlop tires on it. I completely lost traction at the rear while going down the highway in a straight line, just right out of the blue. Damndest thing I've ever experienced on two wheels. Luckily traction came back a few seconds later but it scared the crap out of me. Upon further reflection I always did feel a tad unstable in the rain on those tires though, I'd baby it so gently because the bike just felt loose for lack of a better word in the rain.

I have to wonder if that harder compound at the centerline of the tire has something to do with lessened rain traction?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Each tire type from Dunlop or Bridgestone or any of them is different from their other tires. It is a mistake to eliminate a whole brand because of a bad tire of another model. For example on my Kaw Voyager I threw away the Stones after 3000 miles as did many other owners. They were horrible. But the Stones on the wing are some of the best tires I have ever had.

Really surprised by the dislike here for the Dunlop 4's. They are a go to tire for the touring market, rave reviews. Perhaps it's because we are much more sportier on our Wings.

·
Registered
808 Posts
There is a rumor that I heard today. Motorcycle tire prices will be going up, could be substantial. Maybe 30%. They say because of tariffs. The good news is Dunlop builds their tires here and will not be affected. ITP and Carlisle build ATV tires here as well. I hope it helps all three companies hire extra people.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts