how many miles have you put on a set of Dunlop D250's

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Just moving this up the board a bit.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Had a read 'lop on. Got about 6k on it and it delaminated at the end of my 100CC ride. Rode the last 12 miles on it... was a rough ride!

Didn't like'em, went back to the 'stones.

Until I get my pre-ordered set of Avons!! :D

·
Registered
756 Posts
Got about 11,500, so far ,and still have plenty of tread, both front and rear

·
Registered
533 Posts
I threw away my 'lop 250s at 10,000 miles. They were a danger to myself and society. They were slippery and badly cupped (don't even think there was one mile put on those lops with less than 41psi).

The wet-road skidding problem kept me on my toes and worried me half to death.

The usual "product defenders" said things like, you aren't use to the power on an 1800, blah, blah, blah.

Interestingly enough, I got used to the 1800 power as soon as I put Metzlers on, and haven't skidded in the 8K since.

I am disappointed by the apparent manufacturing problem that Metzler is having with the front tires that I have read about here. I think I'll go talk to my dealer about it. I think I will need new tires by April-maybe May.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I'm on my 3rd set of lops, I've been changing them at 10,000 because of cracks that form in the rear tire and make me fear for my life also they are slippery as all could be on tar snakes but they are cheap this set will probably be my last and I will go on to something better I hope. :roll:

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I have 'lops. On the first bike I got 9300 miles on them with PLENTY of tread left.

but I agree with others that the 'lops absolutely SUCK on tar snakes :roll:

I'm waiting for the Avon's to come out. I have 3700 miles on the second bike w/ 'lops, there all right if your on nice dry roads

·
Registered
379 Posts
I currently have just over 23,000 on my 'Lops since last April. Still on the original tires. Plenty of tread left.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Dunlop's - 23,000 Miles!!?

Pilch,

I’m simply amazed that you could get 23,000 miles from the Dunlop’s with plenty of mileage left. I think we’re talking here about miles you’ve actually ridden, not miles while the bike is on a trailer!! :D

My Dunlop’s have 14,000 on them and they’ve been worn out for the last 2,000 at least. Waited for too long on the Metzler’s, ordered and received a set of Bridgestone’s and now my bike is in the shop for warrantee work and the new tires are in my garage!!

Such is life.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Some Wingers Go Slow

I was stupified when I saw that post too, but if you look at the GWRRA board, a lot of Wingers claim this kind of tire mileage. :shock:

Once in a while, I see a group of Wingers riding and I can see why they may get that kind of mileage. Its just a different riding style. Good for them! They don't have to worry about their pulse going above 60 bpm.

The reports you get on tire mileage are not of any value whatsoever, unless it is a comparison by the same rider. If his Metlzers give him 15K when the Lops gave him 11K, it is good data. Or if the guy that powershifts his 1500 at 2K goes from 28K to 45K with a differerent brand.....(I can't go on..., I'm still stupified) :?

For me, I would rather wear out the tires.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dunlop tires wear?

I am going to purchase another set of Lops. I have 13000 miles on this set, and the tires look like they could go another 8000 miles!
I wonder if the super brace I had installed with these Lops at the Americade last spring has something to do with lengthening tire wear? My first 2 sets of Stones only went to 11,000 miles each. On each set of stones I could have pushed them to 15000 miles at most. I found the Stones to be slippery on wet roads!

Sincerely Sadlsore.

·
Registered
379 Posts
None of my 23,000 miles are trailer miles. This represents only 8 months of actual riding too. A few long trips (over 1000 miles), mostly local riding and one run through Deals Gap.

I can't wait to see what I can rack up on the 'Lops before I change them. BTW, I would buy Dunlops again.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Pilch,
Way to go! You average 96 miles per day for everyday in the 8 month period you rode (671mi./week). I salute you :) .

I can't help but wonder how many miles you put on the other bikes you own, during that period?

You are my new role model. I'm not tied down to a 9-5 job, and I only get a measly 18K per year.

Since I only manage to get 1/2 to 1/3 the tire mileage as you do, could you describe your riding technique? I must have been doing something wrong with the lops to get the skidding, eh?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Wow, I've never been a role model before. :D

Well, let's see if I can describe my riding technique.

I guess I would say that I am a very conservative rider (almost whimpy). I have only scraped my pegs a few times, only once on the Dragon at Deals Gap.

Before getting my '03 I rode a '77 GL1000 for about 1 year. Prior to that I had not owned a bike for about 18 years. Maybe I am still getting my sea legs.

I have never owned a bike that is this much fun to ride. I am lucky that my work affords me the freedom to ride almost anytime (although the Chicago area weather is not as cooperative). I work for myself doing computer programming from my home. When the weather is nice I can ride and then work till the wee hours of the morning to make up the time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have had all of them and I think the lops should be outlawed! They are so slick in the rain on Florida roads it is unreal, my new 04 has them but I hope they are worn out by rain season. I will get metz or stones, dont last as long but who cares when the difference is ten to twelve on the lops and eight on stones. The guys getting in the twenties on any tire with an 1800 would be happy with a loaded moped as far as power. Ron

·
Registered
596 Posts
I wonder how much of this has to do with road surface. I'm on my second set of Dunlops, and I expect about 16,000 miles out of them. My riding is probably half 75mph interstate and half two-lane at a moderately spirited pace.

The only problem I've had on wet roads are under acceleration. I'll occasionally break it loose shifting to second on wet roads. I do ride more cautiously in the wet since putting my other bike in a guard rail on wet roads in 2001, but I'm not terribly slow in the rain.

I will say that I skated the front tire once in the wet with 41psi in it and promptly dropped the pressure to 38; too much pressure is not conducive to wet weather traction. It still seems to be wearing fine with little or no cupping, and the ride is more comfortable. I like to change my tires as a set anyway, and the fronts usually outlast the rear, so I'll live with a little cupping if it occurs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts