GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sure hope everyone has there Dunlop tires in good form, all the Dunlop tire plants in the U.S. went on strike yesterday afternoon. The Tonawanda,N.Y. plant here in my area make all of Harley Davidsons tires and alot of the 250 series and Elite 3 series, and SUV , and Pick-truck tires. Here is another company (Goodyear owns Dunlop) that is trying to screw it's workers and retired work force. Hope the best for the workers. :flg:

·
Registered
384 Posts
It's not just the Dunlop plants that are on strike, it is Goodyear also, there is one in West TN that went out yesterday also.
Allen

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Now, let's see just how well those Dunlop Motorcycle tires flow into the system.

If you don't have spare tires, one might want to get what you can. Just a one day stop will have a large impact on supply, and supply sucks at best without the strike.

This has been one very bad year for Motorcycle tires. I hope that the other Manufactures gear up and take away a large Market share away from Dunlop.

Bulldog the tire sales guy!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
drvr02silver said:
I sure hope everyone has there Dunlop tires in good form, all the Dunlop tire plants in the U.S. went on strike yesterday afternoon. The Tonawanda,N.Y. plant here in my area make all of Harley Davidsons tires and alot of the 250 series and Elite 3 series, and SUV , and Pick-truck tires. Here is another company (Goodyear owns Dunlop) that is trying to screw it's workers and retired work force. Hope the best for the workers. :flg:
That statement is inaccurate. Only the union shops are on strike. The non-union shops are still working.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Years ago I worked in a tire plant as summer help when I was an undergrad. I happened to be there when there was a "state of the company" address. At that time, decades ago, we were told that with the technology in manufacturing and capacity in place the tire industry had the ability to build ten new tires for every six new tires that were needed!

If that was the case then, I can only imagine what it is today with the improvements in technology and the increased wear. With companies like General Motors spending more on retirees than on any other aspect of their business, it's hard to fault any company for trying to stem that tide so they can continue to be in business and be able to pay anybody andything.

Before you start talking about greedy owners, etc., realize who those owners are. The two single largest groups of owners of stock in publicly held companies in America are widows and pension funds. That having been said, flame away, but try to do it logically.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts