GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought some would be interested in this e-mail I got back from Dunlop about the tire cupping on my "06' Wing with less than 5000 miles. Think it is interesting the factory is recommending more tire pressure in the fronts too (38 psi), maybe someone should tell Honda! :shock:

[Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding your tire
questions pertaining to inflation pressures and irregular tread wear.
You may not be able to entirely avoid irregular wear. Irregular wear
or tire cupping is a somewhat common occurrence on all vehicles.
On a four-wheel vehicle, you are advised to rotate your tires
periodically to even out wear. Unfortunately, you do not have this
luxury with a motorcycle because front and rear tires, unlike those on
a four-wheel vehicle, are not interchangeable.

However, there are steps that can be taken to minimize cupping and
uneven wear on a motorcycle:

1.Maintain your motorcycle and
particularly your front forks and
suspension.

2.Avoid hard braking whenever possible.
Braking causes the tire to grab
and wear in one direction. When
braking is applied to the front tire, the
load transfer over-flexes the tire
and increases the tendency for cupping
and uneven wear.

3.Maintain your tire pressures.
Underinflation or overinflation in motorcycle
tires are significant causes of
cupping and uneven wear, particularly in
association with hard braking and/or
trailer use.

The recommended inflation pressures for your '06 Honda GL 1800 Gold
Wing are 38 psi front and 41 psi rear if your running the original
equipment tire sizes (i.e. 130/70-18 front and 180/60-16 rear).

"Dunlop Tire"
<[email protected]> [/b]
Oh yea, and only use those brakes when absolutely necessary!! :roll:

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
In my humble opinion, I think there's some truth to what Dunlop said in that email.

I now have a little over 12,000 miles on my original '05 D250's with only very slight cupping in the front and none discernable on the rear. Neither is even close to the wear bars.

While I do check the tire pressure before each day’s ride (39 frt and 41 rear), I don’t beat on the bike at all. No hard starts or stops…yes, I do ride like a little old man but that seems to be reflected in the mileage I’m getting in gas, tires, and brakes. I have gotten similar results from B’stone and Metz with a previous GL1800.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I also lean towards what Dunlop said. There is a lot of weight being transfered to the front tire.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Dunlop tire cupping update

I wish I could send this e-mail to every Wing rider. In lieu I will continue to post it until it gets thru to the gray matter. ;-) Tire pressure is determined by load carried. The manufacturer's recommendation is only a starting point based on average load, average speed, average riding ability, etc. If you run anything less than 41psi front; you will have handling problems, cupping and poor tire mileage – unless you ride like a little old lady. Here is a well proven tire pressure formula. Run 41F & 42R for a 170 lb. solo rider with empty bags/trunk. ADD psi for additional load carried; i.e. additional rider weight, passenger weight and gear. Add one psi front for every 100 lbs. of additional load. Add one psi rear for every 75 lbs. of additional load. I weigh about 240 and run 42F & 43R. I ride about 10-20mph over posted speeds. I got 12.5k out of my OEM Bridgestones with NO cupping. With my wife (115 lb.) and our 40 lbs. of gear on board; I run 43F & 45R. Example: If you put a load of dirt in your PU truck bed, you need to add extra psi to your flattened rear tires or they will overheat and possibly blow out. Please, please try it; or I will post this again and again and again. ;-) Be well.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Zefr:

I agree with what you are saying EXCEPT for the pressures you mentioned.
When the sidewall states max. psi: 41, then that is the max. They designed the tire, I trust what they give as above what anyone else wants to tell us.

- I run 40F 41R at all times, and have minimal cupping.

·
Vendor
2,337 Posts
From Dunlop:

However, there are steps that can be taken to minimize cupping and
uneven wear on a motorcycle:

1.Maintain your motorcycle and
particularly your front forks and
suspension.

Shocking revelation.... Anyone wonder why this is #1 on the list?

Ever had a blown shock on your car? What does the tire look like?

If the forks on the GL worked right, your tires would not cup. Even at reasonable pressures to supply adequate grip. Like 34 psi.

·
Vendor
2,337 Posts
Re: Dunlop tire cupping update

ZEFR said:
If you run anything less than 41psi front; you will have handling problems, cupping and poor tire mileage – unless you ride like a little old lady.
I don't agree with this...

Less than 41 on a "stock" wing will likely yield cupping and "less" tire mileage.

It will definitely have way less grip with the tire pumped up hard as a rock, and that to me, is both a handling problem, and a safety issue.

Goldwingers seem to want to win the contest of tire mileage and fuel economy. Bragging about how far you went on a tire is baffling to me.

I suggest you run lower pressures, and change your tires more frequently.

It's the cost of playing the game.... SAFELY.

:)

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
thekid said:
Zefr:

I agree with what you are saying EXCEPT for the pressures you mentioned.
When the sidewall states max. psi: 41, then that is the max. They designed the tire, I trust what they give as above what anyone else wants to tell us.

- I run 40F 41R at all times, and have minimal cupping.
You might wanna go look at that again. I'm pretty sure it says: max load xxx at 41psi, doesnt say anything about max psi. But, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Max wrote

Goldwingers seem to want to win the contest of tire mileage and fuel economy. Bragging about how far you went on a tire is baffling to me.
I gotta agree with that. We ride very expensive toys. There is acost of ownership associated with our toys. No we do not want to get raked over the coals but it does cost money to own and use a Wing.

Anyone ever own a boat? Boy, talk about a money pit!!

·
Registered
5,541 Posts

Max McAllister said:

Max,

What tire pressures do you recommend for a GL1800 with a Full Traxxion upgrade :?:

I've always run 41/41, but it sounds like I don't need to anymore with the upgraded suspension in place.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone ever own a boat? Boy, talk about a money pit!!
You know the old saying: Best two days in a boaters life, the day you get the boat, and the day you sell it!

·
Vendor
2,337 Posts

pshivers said:
Max McAllister said:

Max,

What tire pressures do you recommend for a GL1800 with a Full Traxxion upgrade :?:

I've always run 41/41, but it sounds like I don't need to anymore with the upgraded suspension in place.
I think time will tell, and I would certainly like to have feedback from GL owners that use our kit.

I don't get to stack miles on like a real wing owner would.

For "sporting" or "twisty" riding, I would suggest 30-32 front, and 34-36 rear.

For touring... ride quality will go up as your tire pressure goes down. A good compromise would be 34 front and 38 rear.

I will start a thread to see what people have been using for TP on bikes with our kit. :)

·
Registered
5,541 Posts

Max McAllister said:
For touring... ride quality will go up as your tire pressure goes down. A good compromise would be 34 front and 38 rear.

I will start a thread to see what people have been using for TP on bikes with our kit. :)
Thanks Max.

I'll adjust to 34/38 on my ME880's. Only have a couple 1,000 miles on them so far. We will see how they are doing by the end of the summer, (If they last that long :!: ) :wink:

·
Chard Member
12,970 Posts

Max McAllister said:
For "sporting" or "twisty" riding, I would suggest 30-32 front, and 34-36 rear.
Don't have many miles on a 900lb touring bike do you?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
O.K., here we go.
Anyone own a circa 1960's Cadalac?
Take a look at the inside of the glovebox. What do you see?
I'll tell you. It states tire pressures for your cadalac.
Anyone care to take a guess at what those pressures are???
Within a pound or two, it will state, "24 front and 26 rear".
NOW, What do you think the tire manufacturers said about that?
Their take was that Cadalac only cares about ride comfort. They care NOTHING about tire longevity. They could wear out a set of tires in less than 2 thousand miles, but it was a smooth ride getting there. :roll:

The same goes for anything that uses pnumatic rubber/silica tires. There is a tradeoff. Mileage vs. traction along with tangents such as comfort vs. economy.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
My 05 GL1800 has just a tad over 14,000 on the clock.. no cupping what so ever... and I bet the tires has at least 5 to 6 thousand miles left on them...
I run 38 front and 41 rear.. and I check them before EVERY ride..

cosmic

1 - 17 of 17 Posts