GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today, I swapped out the Dunlop WS for a Pirelli SC, both tires are run flats. The Dunlop had 22,542 miles on it, still not quite down to the wearbars, and easily woulda went 25,000. But I just could not wait to give the Pirelli a try. The Dunlop was my first ct, and it made a good impression. From the first mile, I liked it, but my only complaint was that it required some effort to tip in, when entering curves or turns. I have read many other Darksiders' comments about the same thing, with other ct brands. The reason is, the ct is flat on the bottom and wants to remain upright. On the other hand, mc tires are oval, so no tip in effort required with them.

I compared both tires today, side by side The center strip on both tires is horizontally flat across, and the curvature starts just off the edge of the center strip. The Dunlop's center strip is 3" wide, whereas, the Pirelli's is only 1.5" wide.

Later, I took the bike out for about 70 miles of twisties, to try out the Pirelli. The difference is night and day, as the Pirelli requires about same effort to tip in as mc tires do. I would not know I was riding on a ct, if I had not installed it myself. Don't think I can ever go back to another ct with a wide center strip. Two thumbs up for the Pirelli !

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
What psi are you running Joe? I didn't like the Pirelli SC below 34psi.

Don't try a P1 or you might like it better.

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What psi are you running Joe? I didn't like the Pirelli SC below 34psi.

Don't try a P1 or you might like it better.
Today, I went with 34 PSI. I am not a spirited rider, so will dial it in to where it suits best later. I initially was gonna go ahead and mount a DriveGuard on the other spare wheel. But since the Pirelli SC is so impressive, I am gonna take more time to decide. Might just go with a Pirelli P1. Was torn between SC and P1 for this one, but decided to go with Monk's preference.

Best thing about this tire for me, I do not have to exert any effort to tip into curves or turns, so its not as much, "work" to ride the bike. Mileage is more important than high speed performance, so I hope to get at least 12,000 miles out of this Pirelli, but time will tell.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Joe, thanks for the review! I’ve enjoyed all the reviews you’ve done lately.

I’m running a Driveguard right now and am happy with it. I’m used to it’s mannerisms and would be content to continue using it, but I’m considering given the Snow Control a try.

If I could get 12k out of a Snow Control it would be worthwhile to me.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I recently switched from my last Michelin Alpin to the Pirrelli SC. I also liked the way the Pirrelli corners. Very noticeable difference from the Michelin.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I recently switched from my last Michelin Alpin to the Pirrelli SC. I also liked the way the Pirrelli corners. Very noticeable difference from the Michelin.

BRS
thanx for the rev'w, I w be installing my Pirelli SC tomorrow & I'm anxious to try it out..I'll keep you posted after I take it for a ride..

·
Registered
2,189 Posts

BRS
I took the Pirelli SC out for a small cruise, I'm very pleased w/ the way it handles, nice quite ride @ 32 PSI, for now, that mite change down the road.
less fight @ the grooves & troughs in the road, handles nicely on the twisties, only did a few not many, been running CT's for 8yrs so far, so I'm very familiar w/ the handeling.
The Pirelli gets an A+ for many factors, cost, handling, smooth quite ride, & hopefully some good mileage..
I have not tested it on wet roads, maybe over the wkend?? I'm hearing rain in the forecast & we ride "Polar Bear" in the winter, this wks meet is in Howell NJ about 60 mi from my home..

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I also this summer went from my warn Alpin to the Perelli SC Run Flat.
My reports are the same as posted here. :beer3:

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I wonder who was the 1st rider to try the Pirelli SC on their Wing; & how did he know it going to be a Winner??? :) lol lol

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
I wonder who was the 1st rider to try the Pirelli SC on their Wing; & how did he know it going to be a Winner??? :) lol lol
[/quote @Monk was among the first. He told me about it a couple years ago.

He may not have found it, but if not, he was definitely an early adopter.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts

Monk made a great choice when he found the Pirelli SC, this is a nice tire!!!:grin2: 3 cheers for Monk!!:laugh::grin2:

Reactions: yardart

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
For sure, Monk is a pioneer with the Pirelli SC, and several other tires. It seems most of the R&D has came from our members who are fond of, "spirited" riding. And we are blessed, as a group, from their discoveries.

I believe one way to guesstimate a CT's potential performance on a GW is to look at the center section. Since noting the difference between Pirelli SC and Dunlop WS, I have checked the tires on every 4-wheel vehicle in our family: Buicks, Lexus, Honda Odyssey, and Studebakers. All have a flat center section, with rounded outer sections. At initial glance, and from various angles, the entire tread profile appears sounded, but a straight edge ruler reveals the flatness. I believe the width of the flat, center area influences how much the rider has to, "push and pull" the bike into turns. If you read enough rider reviews, every CT mentioned that requires push/pull in turns has a wide flat center section. As mentioned above, the Dunlop's center is 3", compared to 1.5 on the Pirelli SC.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,977 Posts

I can't say for sure who the 1st rider was, but I do remember a few winters ago doing my usual research during the cold months looking at possibilities. I was reading with interest what riders like Murgie are using and the reasons for their choices. They love to run at a spirited pace and use a Non-Runflat. That was because the tire is so light and easy to transition in the curves at that pace.

It got me to thinking about Runflats and how much they weigh. The first I tried was the Pirelli P1. The R&D on that one came from Elrod. I remember looking at pictures of it and thinking how ugly it was. But like he said it was a very good tire. When looking at that one, I ran across the Snowcontrol which is one pound heavier than the P1. After a few thousand miles on both tires, I found I liked the Snowcontrol better.

Thanks to Joe for this thread for a comparison between Dunlop WinterSport and the Snowcontrol. That 175/60/16 version of the Dunlop is lighter than either of the Pirelli tires. Hmmm, got me to thinking! I might have to give that tire a tire at some point in the future. :thumbup:

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,977 Posts
Monk, unless you want to give up a lot of lean angle, you may want to scratch off the 175/60 off your list.

Thanks, that was one of my big questions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts