GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Vendor
16,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 4-5 months ago, the m/c Dunlop rep stopped in, and the car tire subject came up. He'd said that he was the rep that had worked WingDing last year and was surprised at all the car tire questions ... he must be new !!! I'd mentioned to him that the m/c magazines compared the attitude of CT people to it being like a cult. His reply was that he is required to write a report after such an event and send it back to his home office, and he'd said the same. And look how Dunlop has respond. In Wing World I see they've announced that Dunlop is having a tire clinic. It'll be offered for 3 days, to educate m/c riders on how tires are constructed, and why they are constructed the way they are. It all comes down to science.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Soo Darksiders just need to be, "educated".... Oh brother, here we go again.

·
Registered
169 Posts
After 40 years of ridin the dark side, I'm still tryin to find a real event where a CT failed. Maybe Dunlap is keeping it all secret.
Yeah, I know the bead of the motorcycle wheel doesn't match the tire, but somehow it works. I always use bead seal on my applications just in case.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
FortNine had a car tire YouTube video last week - it did a good job of explaining the basic differences in 10 minutes or less. Not sure what is going to take three days?!

·
Vendor
16,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FortNine had a car tire YouTube video last week - it did a good job of explaining the basic differences in 10 minutes or less. Not sure what is going to take three days?!
Recently I've seen 2 videos showing why CTs don't work well on motorcycles. As for the seminar, I believe it's a short seminar that is offered at various times over a 3 day period. Hopefully they'll have both car and m/c tire engineers there.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I don't care what you do on your motorcycle, as long as you don't endanger me, and I'd strongly prefer you not endanger others.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
It is funny to see the tire rep’s squirm when asked why a CT’s type of longevity isn’t available from them. We are on touring machines, not wanttobetrackfreakbikes.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
tamathumper, I'm pretty sure a 15,000,000 mile "test" won't do the least in changing your attitude re: car tires, right?

I'm pretty sure I said I don't care what you do on your bike... If you have something to prove, you'll have to prove it to someone else.

·
Registered
216 Posts
But wait …. This CT thing has been going on for a long time and possibly thousands of motorcycles. Dunlop sells CTs. So why wouldn't Dunlop sell CTs for motorcycles? Why does no manufacturer do this when there is an existing market? Wonder why Honda doesn't spec a CT? Perhaps the answer is technical?

G.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts