Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dont care for em

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running on my orig lops, currenty have 14K Miles on them now.... Never have my tires slipped on wet pavement. Yes, I do ride in the rain, but prefer to ride until I find a safe place to pull over........ i.e. gas station etc.. (No Bridges unless emergency)

I expect to get a few more miles out of my lops but will be getting new tires before I need them, figure maybe I can live longer that way also.

LOPS, Metzler, Stones.................. Perhaps Ill get Metzlers now, then stones next, make comparisons, select my favorite and hold true.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Been there..done that....
OEM = Stones
Metz
Dunlops
Went....back to the new and improved Stones.....GLAD I DID !!!
Best for me, so far !
02 ABS w/ 62 thousand miles !

www.pashnit.com

IRMac

·
Registered
104 Posts
Bought my 02 used with 6000 mi. Had the stones on it. I liked the half wore out stones better than the new Dunlops. The lops seem to want to follow every line when running on the rain groves on the freeway. They also don't seem to react as quickly as the stones,( to me anyway). Just my opinion. .............John

·
Registered
979 Posts
:shock: Had the Lops as well, the worst tires I have ever ridden on running Metzlers now I will never have another set of Dunflops on my bike. :shock: :sw1: :sw1: :sw1:

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
My 2004 has the Dunlops.... never had anything else on a 1800 so I cant add much..

I have noticed that in a slow speed / sharp turn I can feel the tread grooves wiggle the front end. A some what unsettling feeling at first.

My Dunlops seem have a cup pattern forming at 4800 miles. I run 40-41 psi in the front since new. In the photo the groove on the left edge is the center groove around the tire. You just make out the pattern where the concrete dust was not picked up as I rolled the bike into my garage.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
There not really that bad, just the last choice in tires for my GL1800. I've had a set and there are clearly better options. I'll stay with the Stones and if Avons prove "better" then I'll try a set of them to see for myself.

DaleC

·
Registered
891 Posts
Lops

I got them on my 04, and I think they are improved from the one's they make for the Valkyrie. The Avon's would blow them away on a VAlk,but I have had no problem with the lops on the wing. I will have too waite and see some reports on the Avons,before I switch.

G

·
0 Posts
Worst tire I've ever had on a bike.

edit (in the rain that is...they do okay on dry)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Never noticed a problem in the rain with my original 'Lops. Been in a couple of hard downpours, but admittedly ride conservitively then.

Worst trait is riding the "tar snakes". I warned my wife to be carefull on her Rebel with the tar stripes, she said "What sliding? Don't notice the tar at all." I'll be trying another brand solely due to this problem.

The alternative brands... any comments on "tar handling"?

Eric

·
Registered
788 Posts
The scariest tires I've ever had on a bike in 32 years of riding - Dunlops. they don't grip at all on wet pavement. Just about every tire will slip to some degree on tar snakes, but the Dunlops make a white knuckle experience out of it. I'll NEVER have run Dunlops on my 1800 again.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Dunlop ... grrr

Hi all,

Okay, the Dunlops on my '03 1.8 VTX have treated me well... most likely put another set on it when these, at about 8500 miles are toast.

As for our '03 Wing, sometimes, when I go around a corner... DAMN, what in the hell was that?.. the rear tire, for some reason tries to get out from underneath the bike. Once, I thought my wife dyed the seat another colour! All I know for sure is it's not related to the right hand grip.

I'd go back to the same corner looking for some reason on as to why the rear of the bike felt so uncontrollable and I'd find nothing out of the ordinary... other than the usual debris, no build up of oil, anti-freeze, sand, soil, etc...

So, the way I see it, I'm going to watch the postings and see who is having the best luck with what... rest assured... these Dunlops will go by way of the dinosaur long before we leave Tucson for the hoot.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
The Bridgestone Tires on the 1800 are the worst tires I have ever had on a motorcycle...... at least on the front.... When I called to complain they sent me a new tire for the front for free .... Great you say ..... Had it mounted for $76.00 at my Honda dealer and it too Started to CUP real bad after 3000 miles took it off and now I have Dunlops with no CUPPING.

Tony - Chicagoland :blw1:

·
Registered
1 Posts
dunlops

I've only used the dunlops and stones on my 1800. I ride year round, and I have no problem riding for hours in he rain. I liked the sones, they seemed to grip pretty well, but they didn't last long enough (9k and 12K) Right now I have the dunlops on, I hate these in the rain, fog or any kind of slighty wet road.

I am not what you would consider a thin person (ya, I know, wrap it up fat boy) and I don't ride the wing like a bike the size it is (If it can drive like a sports bike, I'm going to put my fat ash on the bike and scrap the pegs) so I do need tires that can grip.

I'm trying to find someone in the area that can pop the avalon's on today, so we'll see how they handle. I don't think I would by the dunlops for the 1800 again, unless it was an emergency..

I have not had any problems with Dunlops on other bikes, it's only the ones for the 1800 that I can't stand.

Bats
:rw1:

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I ride on too many roads that are grooved parallel to the lane. The front Lop tread design just loves to follow those groves. You know how a bike seems to drift all over the place on an iron grated bridge..... same feeling only it never ends. It makes it feel like you are NOT in control when the tire is floating all over the place. If I were to buy a new wing sold with lops, I would trailer it home and put metz on if I did not have it done at the dealer prior to pickup.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just took the 'Lops off my '03 at 10,500 mi - Both badly cupped, front was down to the wear bar - No rain experience, but tar strips cause for excitement and skid marks on shorts... Put Avons on but not enough miles to give an opinion -- Will NEVER use 'Lops again....

·
Registered
370 Posts
tires

I had dunlops put on last week.Just went 3500 miles on them.Rain in Phoenix and snow in Mass.I had good grip ,no problems with groove or snakes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts