GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below is a reply that I just received from Dunlop, based on a question I sent them a few months ago. Not much of an answer and little substance, but an answer nonetheless.

"Good morning Luther,
I apologize for all the inconvenience.
The demand for Dunlop Motorcycle Tires was much greater than anticipated this year.
The work stoppage also caused this large back-order situation.
Tuesday, January 2, 2007 the union returned to work...The work stoppage is over.
Now, we can get back into the business of manufacturing tires.
However, it will take us time to fill all the back-orders.
Again, I do apologize
If you need any further information or assistance. please call Dunlop Consumer Affairs @ 800-845-8378
thank you,"
Virginia Gallant
Consumer Affairs Representative

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
For some reason I don't think I would buy a Dunlop tire for a couple of months or maybe longer, don't want a tire made by a disgruntled employee. Wonder what them Nascar drivers think. :shock:

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
White Gold,

I am thinking on the very positive side.

While these workers have had some time in the cooler so to speak. They did win some concessions and have a better outlook for the health of the company that employs them.

I believe that "Pride" is the motivating factor here, that will carry the workers into the future and provide economic survival for them.

Sure there will be hurt feelings etc. But these things tend to take the sidelines, when a "Man" is trying to feed his family, pay the mortgage, other monthlies and send the Kids to school so that they do not have to work in a factory. American Pride and survival will reign.

I have heard on so many of these threads, conspiracy thoughts. It ain't going to happen. Any bad apples will be weeded out and the work force will strive to be number 1.

Bulldog

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Goodyear just released a statement today they they are offering a large buyout for their employees. They hope a bunch of them take the deal. Looks like they are down sizing one way or another.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
Bulldog, what was the question? At first I thought "it looks like a decent answer to me" but then I realized I didn't know the question.

·
15 year Member
6,940 Posts
William Anzik said:
Bulldog, what was the question? At first I thought "it looks like a decent answer to me" but then I realized I didn't know the question.

I don't know the question either but I would bet it was something like: "WHERE ARE THE BLEEPIN TIRES I ORDERED"!!!!!!!!!

Matt(Ashland,MA) :lol:

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Matt(Ashland said:
[quote="William Anzik":2incmmoh]Bulldog, what was the question? At first I thought "it looks like a decent answer to me" but then I realized I didn't know the question.

I don't know the question either but I would bet it was something like: "WHERE ARE THE BLEEPIN TIRES I ORDERED"!!!!!!!!!

Matt(Ashland,MA) :lol:[/quote:2incmmoh]Did you loose your Iraq guys? That would have been funnier with the guys yelling it. :lol:

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Her statement makes no sense. They were on a major backorder for months before that strike ever happened.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Toyo said:
Her statement makes no sense. They were on a major backorder for months before that strike ever happened.

Toyo, You could not have said it better....

Through all of this supposedly tire shortages, did anyone on here ever get stranded or have to park their bike because they could not get a tire? WOLF WOLF WOLF....

If this indeed did happen I owe someone an apology and it is offered here.

I think Hal had so many extra tires he even had give-away price sales on them.. All during this strike and shortage... Go Figure...

If I wanted to buy a Dunlop tire I would and not think twice about it, but I kinda like the Metzlers I started using and will continue using them until I think something better is on the market. It is all a matter of preference.

Ross

·
Registered
977 Posts
The only thing that comes to mind when I hear that the union went on strike is a new interview that I saw in 1980. I believe it was the UAW at Ford that was on strike. Keep in mind that I was making about $8.00/hour at the time. This guy comes on TV and says "I just cant make it on $26 dollars an hour" Hell $26/hour is good wages these days. Just think about what that was worth in 1980.

Every man deserves a good middle class way of life, but the unions are pricing themselves right out of jobs in many cases. I give the unions the one fingered salute every chance I get. No wonder so many manufacturers are taking the jobs somewhere else. I never really liked the set of E-3s in had and will never buy another set. You done see the "Union Made" label on too many products these days. Wonder why?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Toyo said:
I thought the statement covered that. The demand for Dunlop Motorcycle Tires was much greater than anticipated this year. The work stoppage also caused this large back-order situation. That is about as close to an admission as you will get from a company spokesperson. More correct would have been The work stoppage further contributed to the large back-order situation. Now whether we choose to believe it is another story. Any big manufacturing company always seems slow at best to respond to changes in the supply/demand chain.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
Matt(Ashland said:
[quote="William Anzik":3tuaqx42]Bulldog, what was the question? At first I thought "it looks like a decent answer to me" but then I realized I didn't know the question.

Matt(Ashland,MA) :lol:[/quote:3tuaqx42] :lol: That doesn't seem to fit the cool, calm and reasonable image he has on this board. :wink: But if it was, I think the answer would have been adequate. I was just wondering what was missing from the answer - what was asked?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Gentlemen, please don't be naive regarding the quality of the Dunlop Tires produced subsequent to the strike. There will be perfect tires and faulty tires. It will be a roll of the dice for awhile. I have been on strike 465 days of my career and the attitudes of my contemporaries were as far apart as you can imagine. There were employees that simply wanted to do there best to get back to work and do well, then there were others who were vindictive sabateurs. That is why there are warranties so you can take the faulty ones back and get them replaced. Don't have any expectations one way or the other and you will be fine. Dunlop will warranty the bad ones and you will put up with the inconvenience.
Caveat Emptor!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
skipreb said:
That is why there are warranties so you can take the faulty ones back and get them replaced. Don't have any expectations one way or the other and you will be fine. Dunlop will warranty the bad ones and you will put up with the inconvenience.
Caveat Emptor!
Well, at least you can do that..................If you're still around!
DC

·
Registered
144 Posts
Jay Hoover

Mr. Jay Hoover,
You do not know what you are talking about.
I worked at Ford for 35 years. I am now 54 and retired.
Non skilled wages are presently, (2007), $26.00 per hour. Skilled trades wages are around $31.00 per hour, depending on what trade you are in.
1980 wages were less than $10.00 per hour. (I pulled an old check stub to verify). In 1980 my plant had been reduced to less than 2000 employees from a 1979 population of 4400. These were hard times for a lot of my union brothers.
Union haters don't know anything about unions and what they have accomplished for all American workers. Such as the 40 hour work week, overtime for hours over 40 per week or 8 hours per day, paid vacations, cost of living increases, quality health insurance, skilled trades apprentiship programs, shift differential, and early retirement.
I suggest you keep your comments to things you might actually know something about.
The subject was tires!
I personally know nothing about the lack of available tires, but I do know UNIONS.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Re: Jay Hoover

jbivens544 said:
Mr. Jay Hoover,
You do not know what you are talking about.
I worked at Ford for 35 years. I am now 54 and retired.
Non skilled wages are presently, (2007), $26.00 per hour. Skilled trades wages are around $31.00 per hour, depending on what trade you are in.
1980 wages were less than $10.00 per hour. (I pulled an old check stub to verify). In 1980 my plant had been reduced to less than 2000 employees from a 1979 population of 4400. These were hard times for a lot of my union brothers.
Union haters don't know anything about unions and what they have accomplished for all American workers. Such as the 40 hour work week, overtime for hours over 40 per week or 8 hours per day, paid vacations, cost of living increases, quality health insurance, skilled trades apprentiship programs, shift differential, and early retirement.
I suggest you keep your comments to things you might actually know something about.
The subject was tires!
I personally know nothing about the lack of available tires, but I do know UNIONS.

AMEN TO THAT.. You are right on. I have been a union worker for almost 34 years now myself.

Now read my signature line. It has been on here for some time now....

Ross

·
Registered
553 Posts
unions

i worked for sears for 37 years,whwn employees tried to vote in a union they would close the store,,san francisco is just one example..they paid union wages + at the time.of course now they pay a lot less,all retail stores use the "Walmart" excuse to cut pay and benefits.let;s hope the chinese will buy Dunlop out ..tires will go down 50 percent..and they will build a quality product and have no strikes..

·
Registered
977 Posts
Ever wonder why union workers argue so vigorusly about their way of life? I dont know either. Argue all you want about the benifits of unions. They have done some good things for all Americal workers, but I specifically remmeber that interview I saw on the news in 1980. An assembly line worker making more than both my wife and me put together. I cant confirm the guys statements. What I can confirm is unions workers make more for same job than non-union, and the cost is passed on to everyone else. You are taking money out of my pocket and putting into yours. Strikes hurt the consumer, and this consumer aviods purchasing union products when they get too greedy. Keep up the good work and you will drive all manufacturing jobs right to China.

Ebjoy your retirement at 54 while most of the nation has to work to 65+

·
Registered
977 Posts
Mr. jbivins554

After some reflection on your comments I realized your right, the subject for this post is tires and Dunlops response to an enquire.

The dunlop workers going on strike put the breaks on my riding. I had a hard time finding tires. I choose to never buy Dunlop products again (support thier union) unless they can convince me that they make the best, and best value products.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts