GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought an 06 Goldwing which came with the Dunlop D250's.
I have noticed that they are super slippery on wet roads, I have had my front tire lock and lose traction while gently slowing for a turn.
Have had the back tire break traction when going into 2nd and the rear fishtailed.
I had E3's on my 02, after I wore out the Metz ME880's.
Neither of these tires had that problem.
I have to say that I thought the E3's were the better of the three I have used.
E3's Super Sticky even on wet roads. (could break traction if I tried, and I am guilty of it a few times.)

just wanted to let everyone know, just in case this is a problem with the D250's and not my imagination.

Ride Safely
Bah Humbug .... 8)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
My '05 came with D250's,picked it up & rode home 2 up in a light drizzel.
Rode 50 miles @ 45 -60 mph. no problems.
Rode these tires in all kinds of weather for 15,200 miles & never had a problem.
Have "power shifted" @ 5K rpm on dry asphalt & never had the back end break loose. I usually run 55-70 mph in med. rain storms & never had a problem. Normally cruise on hiways @ 65-80 mph.. Never had a front tire break loose or 'lockup"? on any motorcycle i've ever owned. Had some wheels "lockup" but never a tire.
Just bought a new set of D250's as i could not find any E3's.
Front needed repalcement rear had about 2K miles left.
Decel wobble started about 13K miles. Since I put the new tires on,no wobble.
Not a real aggressive rider for sure, but i can run with most.
I think the YELLOW ones are harder on tires though. :lol:
Just my experience with the 'Lops.
Merry Christmas to all,
the hobo

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Try some Bridgestones. YW recommended them. I tried it and have found them to have the best "any weather" grip so far.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Do they chip seal roads in Texas? They do in Montana so maybe that's why I haven't had any slips. I'm not an agressive rider compared to many, but I have ridden in some pretty nasty stuff - very heavy rain - and I didn't have any problems with slipping. Seeing the road - now that's where I had problems. :shock:

·
Registered
524 Posts
Dunlop 250's :no:

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
DUNSLIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've been through 5 sets of 250's, in all types of weather. and never had a problem. The only time I had a slip was on a cattle guard in the Black Hills and that was my fault. Maybe it's the"06. I might even like the 250's better than the E3's.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Had the Dunlop OEM tires on my late '03a. Was my first bike in over 20 years..I thought it was normal for a big bike to slip on power-on turns across tar snakes and paint stripes, the hind end trying to pass the front end on curves. Couldn't take the noise and vibration from the cupped 250s at 11,500, so replaced with what was available from Hal..Metzelers. Was like a different bike. Same bike, same rider, same paint and tar, but the bike cornered like it was on rails. went through three sets of Metzelers, averaging around 17,500 on them before the bike was destroyed last december. Have a '06a now with the same crappy Dunlops. 13,500 on the OEM tires with the same complaints I had on the '03a Dunlops..slipping, sliding, etc. I have 1 1/2 sets of Metzelers left over from the '03a that will soon see use on the '06a.

I don't trust the Avons due to a friend with them had the rear come apart at speed with 8000 miles on them. No warning, just bloooie.

I have no experience with the Bridgestones and have no opinion of them.

I will never willingly mount a Dunlop on my bike.

Ride long and safe..on tires you trust.

John
ETC (SW) USN ret
The Sabre Group ret
EDS ret
'06 GL18HPNAC6

·
Registered
694 Posts
These posts never get anywhere but my 2 cents is that when I switched to E's from Dunlops I got the wobble at 4k miles, and I never had it with Dunlops. The E's slip more than the worn out Dunlops ever did (which could mean anything due to just situations at the time). I am getting a funky tire wear pattern on the front. I will call it a wide ridge down the midline of the tire. I can't believe its good for traction. I will dump them at the first opportunity.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Everyone's different... ain't it great. I liked my D250's better than the E3's that are on now. Stones will go on in the next few days. I've found that tires are a compromise between grip and mileage. The softer the compound, the better the grip but less mileage. The harder the compound, the less grip and better mileage. From all that I've read, and concerning grip, Stones are the best (don't know about Avons) then Metzelers then Dunlops.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts