GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the E3's steel belted? I looked on Dunlop's site, and did a search, and couldn't find an answer

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Are the E3's steel belted? I looked on Dunlop's site, and did a search, and couldn't find an answer
it really doesn't matter because no matter how their made or what their made of they still won't stick to anything including the roads!

Do yourself and your loved ones a favor and buy another brand that
actully sticks to roads...

Ride Safe... Enjoy"

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
Bridgestones!!! They stick to rainy Florida roads much better than Dunflops!!!

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Bias ply are for the GL1500
Radials are for the GL1800

With regard to the tires being substandard....I find it interesting that manufacturers seemingly put inferior tireson their motorcycles....

GL1800 owners claim the "Dunflops" are no good...one should switch to Bridgestones

When I had my Kaw Vulcan...Mother Kawasaki sold them with Bridgestones....many seemes to complain and stated the Dunlops were better

Just an intersting observation

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
When the GL1800s came with Stones many cried and moaned that the DFlops were better.
Now that the Gl1800s come with Dunlop D 250s they cry and moan that the Stones are better.
Answer get Metzler.:popcorn:

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I don't think there are many places that get more rain than so Louisiana..
I like the Dunlops.. they wear well... some say they are slippery in the rain... but if you ride on 2 wheels .. it makes good sense to slow down & be some what cautious on acceleration...
Bridgestones do have better traction.... but do not wear as well as the
Dunlops...
Metzlers have too many issues for me to put them on my bike...

cosmic

S

·
0 Posts
I think tires are just another personal choice. If you read all the treads on tires what you find is all tires are the best and worst and once someone mentions something being slippery everyone jumps on the subject. Also all tires cup or don't cup depending on who is posting what kind of luck they had. I am suspect of the slippery thing as these comments don't take into account the road conditions, sand, oil, painted lines etc. No tire does well with wet painted lines or oil/anti freeze so what you get is an opinion with little fact.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all that answered.....but...... I was asking if the E3's were steel belted, I know they are radials......I called the # that was listed on the web site posted by bjcarter ( thanks) and found out that they are not steel belted.......again thanks to all

·
Banned
11,396 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Interesting points though....I've just been around this board since Oct and it is very confusing. I'm sure there are many good tires out there. For a car or truck for example, it's hard to go wrong with a Michelin...they are known for a little firmer ride but exceptional reliability. The point is that they are generally accepted as an outstanding product. I don't see that kind of info for MC tires.....or maybe I've missed it. I don't have a problem with the Dunlop but if there is a "Michelin like" MC tire out there... I'd buy it in a minute.

S

·
0 Posts
I think this all started with the question if mc radials are steel belted - most are not but it doesn't matter, not really.
If you look at car tires, then yes the steel belt is very important as it allows the use of thinner sidewall and therefore softer ride over the bias ply tires which were designed with heavier sidewalls and could carry higher loads but with a price - stiffer ride.
On the MC side the not like a car tire radials have extremely stiff sidewalls and designed for lack of flex and deformation rather than soft ride. In this case steel belts do not help except it may make some people feel better or safer or something not related. Fact is as long as the MC radials are so hard and stiff steel or composite fiber does not really matter as the ride will be stiff and only well suited for the design purpose of sport bikes.
For a better ride you simply need tires "designed" for the purpose.

But then that implies logic and this is where logic does not exist.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I noticed the same thing. It almost appears that Dunlop uses different compounds for their bias and radial tires. Possibly Bridgestone too. I put an Elite II and III on my Nomad and they were much better than the stock Stones that were on it. On the other side of the coin this spring I put a set of Stones on my Wing and they are night and day better than the stock Dunlops. Especially on wet roads.

Bias ply are for the GL1500
Radials are for the GL1800

With regard to the tires being substandard....I find it interesting that manufacturers seemingly put inferior tireson their motorcycles....

GL1800 owners claim the "Dunflops" are no good...one should switch to Bridgestones

When I had my Kaw Vulcan...Mother Kawasaki sold them with Bridgestones....many seemes to complain and stated the Dunlops were better

Just an intersting observation

S

·
0 Posts
While bias plys will kill you they are much better for ride, handling and longevity overall.

Plus they are round

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Thanks to all that answered.....but...... I was asking if the E3's were steel belted, I know they are radials......I called the # that was listed on the web site posted by bjcarter ( thanks) and found out that they are not steel belted.......again thanks to all
Well I'll be dipped in doo! You learn something new every day.

I wonder if ANY motorcycle tires are steel belted?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts