GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are going to Angel Fire New Mexico the week of Memorial Day and then thought we'd ride to Durango Colorado and stay a couple of days before going to Denver. We'd like to ride from Durango to Montrose and over to Salida on our way to Denver. My maps say it is about 375 miles. Do you think that's a doable day ride in the mountains. Kansas is a wee bit flatter so I didn't know how much time I should allow.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Durango to Denver

You could do it in one day if no sightseeing. A 2 day ride would cover it so you see the sights if you want.

Howard

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
We are going to Angel Fire New Mexico the week of Memorial Day and then thought we'd ride to Durango Colorado and stay a couple of days before going to Denver. We'd like to ride from Durango to Montrose and over to Salida on our way to Denver. My maps say it is about 375 miles. Do you think that's a doable day ride in the mountains. Kansas is a wee bit flatter so I didn't know how much time I should allow.
I would go from Durango to Montrose on route 550 and then stay at the Black Canyon Motel on day one, then go on the next day...that is just what I would do???:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
It all depends upon how much you want to see. Easily doable in one day if the emphasis is on the Million Dollar Highway from Durango to Silverton to Ouray and you want primarily to do some riding. You could even do the MDH up to Ouray, on to Montrose, on to Delta, then take Hwy 92 to Hwy 133 Hotchkiss to Paonia over McClure Pass to Carbondale (great ride). From Carbondale you can take CO-82 to Aspen and over Independence Pass (awesome) to Leadville, then over Fremont Pass to I-70 at Copper Mountain, then east on I-70 to Denver. Would be a full day, but if primarily riding, you could do it. Another option would be at Carbondale CO-82 west to Glenwood Springs, then I-70 through Glenwood Canyon, Vail Pass, and on to Denver.

Or take a couple of days and really enjoy it even more. Check out the links in my signature block for more ride info.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. Sounds like two days if we want to stop along the way. We'll see how much time we have.

·
Registered
796 Posts
We did Montrose to Dillion, Montrose to Delta, Delta to Carbondale, Carbondale to Aspen, Aspen to Glenwood Springs, Glenwood Springs to Dowd then down Co 24 to Co 19 back up to I70, then to Dillon last June in a day we only did some Interstate miles, spent some time in Aspen so that was enough for 1 day, so I think from Durango I'd probably take the 2 days. Wished we would have spent some time in Redstone and the side track down 24 to 19 was a very nice ride would have like to gone into Leadville but there was some rain in the area and we were riding around it.
Dillion Inn is a nice reasonable place to stay and just across the parking lot from the Dillion Brewery Bar and Grill. We didn't make down to Durango only to Silverton but I'm sold on going back to that area again, and for a flat land farm boy to ride to Silverton that was a ride :eek:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Route 550 (The Million Dollar Highway) from Durango to Ridgeway will be a nice ride. Then its pretty straight forward on to Montrose. The Country Lodge on route 50 in Montrose is a good place to stay. As you enter Montrose on route 550, turn right on route 50 and its a few blocks on the right.

Between Montrose and Salida on route 50, you will go through the San Isabel National Forest and cross Monarch Pass (11,312 feet). There is a chair lift, gift shop, snack bar etc. at the top of Monarch Pass.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I already miss so much of what I missed to/from/at Rockies Gold II.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Another alternative would be to take 160 east out of Durango, through Pagosa Springs and over Wolf Creek pass to South Fork. At South fork go north on 149 through Lake City to Gunnison, really nice ride. I grew up in Pueblo, CO and spent many Labor Day weekends camping in the South Fork area, so my opinion may be slightly biased. :p

You'd have to check on road conditions before selecting that route. When I was there two years ago 160 was under reconstruction on the east side of Wolf Creek.

Either way is a nice ride. Hwy 50 east of Salida along the Arkansas river is also pretty cool and you might see some Bighorn sheep, but so is 285 from Fairplay to Bailey. Someone has already mentioned there many nice rides in CO!

I'm planning to ride through Durango with my brothers in mid-May.

Have a great trip.
DMR

·
Registered
123 Posts
ride

I have done it, 2 years ago. It's a toss-up: the scenery, curves, and mountains will make you want to ride all day; the scenery, curves, and mountains will also make you want to stop and take pics and enjoy the clean air and sights, which will make you wish you had allotted 2 days.

Its a great area to ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts