GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my previous tires were used up, it took me about a month to decide which tire would be my first CT, with much info and help from rail32. Another week to get it delivered, 3 more weeks to find someone who would mount it for less than $100, and another week to get the new front tire delivered and mounted. So when I went to put on my riding boots this morning they had about 2 months of dust on them, but I was excited to have an entire day to try out the new tires. In central Texas there are 7 joints that serve up world class bbq, with 4 of them being in Lockhart. My riding buddy and I were headed for Kreuz (pronounced krites) market for lunch, about 210 miles. For the first hundred miles I kept feeling for the shoulder of the Yoko Avid Envigor ZPS as I rolled into turns, but it just wasn't there- it took slightly more handlebar input to initiate a turn, but I never felt the tire roll over onto the shoulder, the transition was completely smooth and linear. I had read on the forum that additional input would be needed to finish a turn also, but did not find that to be necessary, rolling out of a lean felt totally normal and familiar. While all of this was sinking in I realized that I had all the traction in the world-both tires were stickier than the ones I've running for the last decade. The rest of the day I didn't think or worry about traction, the bike felt more planted than it ever had. I For years I have did discover later however that both tires seek on grooved pavement, and they do so independently so the result is that the bike wiggles kind of like an excited puppy. My previous tires did not do this so I found it kind of interesting. Bike would not tolerate quick avoidance practice-went into a motion like a snake crawling-a more severe response would have become a tank slapper-I need to test this further. Rode 625 miles total, overall pleasantly surprised at how "normal" the handling was. Thanks again to all of you who provided info and answers while I was in transition!

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Another satisfied customer! What pressure you running in it?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since it was my first ride/test I followed Rail32's recommendation and put 32lbs in it; after riding awhile that increased to 36. Edges were just beginning to round off a little by the end of the day. My riding buddy who was following reports that the tire stayed on the pavement until I approached a 15 degree lean, then he could begin to see a little light under the outside edge as it picked up the tire. Does this sound like I'm in the ballpark for correct psi?

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
It was my pleasure and really glad to read you like it.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
:congrats: and Welcome to the DARKSIDE....... :flg:
Don't forget to get your # an Decal....

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
J V,
You're running the Yoko RF at 40psi? That's higher than I've seen anyone report, except for a NRF. How many miles on it? Is your tread wear even?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Welcome to the smart side! No more worries about the tire failing catastrophically --- like a couple of instances just reported on here in the last couple of days! I'll never go back to those pos mc tires!!!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
J V,
You're running the Yoko RF at 40psi? That's higher than I've seen anyone report, except for a NRF. How many miles on it? Is your tread wear even?
Thanks
no nrf you are right that would be way to high tread wear is perfect

1 - 10 of 10 Posts