GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering If one of you wizards of smart could answer a question for me. If you travel dirt roads at 30 miles per hour, and do not pass any cars, so the only dust is what you stir up with your Wing, will the air intake be picking up dust from your front tire or will it be getting clean air as the dust goes under your belly pan?

·
Registered
248 Posts
My experience has been you will still get some dust from what the bike stirs up.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Try this: Remove your seat; clean everything real good. Drive down a dusty road a short distance. Remove seat and look again. You will be horrified. I realize the air filter is closer to the front, but I think the dusty road is a problem.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
:agree:Ride in cold weather, the ice and snow keep the dust down!

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
You can try a little trick I did with my CBR which has the intakes on the front of the cowling. I coated the inside of the intake tunnels about an inch in and about a inch or so outside with lube grease and rode down my rode which is about .4 of a mile long. I did not have any sand sticking to the inside of the tunnels or outside. I did have it just about every where else though from the front cowl back especialy on the rear swingarm and on the top of the tank and seat. I also did not pass any cars at the time of my test which I just about never do anyway.

·
Registered
7,520 Posts
I live on a gravel road. If you are trying to determine if this will affect your filter change interval, I believe that it will not make a significant difference.

The engine air is drawn through ductwork from the front of the bike.

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
Honda was very smart when they designed the air intake :thumbup:

very little dust gets sucked into the air filter

under the seat well thats a completly different story, its like heaven for dust under the Goldwing seat

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I live on gravel at the end of a blacktop road,have to travel about 200 yards before I reach the paved road...

I changed my filter this past weekend and it was fairly dirty...The filter box was still very clean looked like the filter did it's job :thumbup:

I think if you rode alot of gravel roads all the time,wouldn't be a bad idea to try a earlier filter change just to inspect and see what kind of condition the filter is in??

I rarely ride gravel roads on the wing,and was shocked how dirty the filter looked???....I ride all year long and those paved roads are very dirty, along with the air pollution equals pretty dirty filter :eek:4:

This weekend on maintenace I changed the filter,took the gas tank out to check and tighten coolant hoses.Took the rear shock out and changed the fluid in the rear shook pump resivoir...While I had all of this out I cleaned the frame and the inside of the bike,I was really suprised just how much road dirt and dust was on the inside of the bike,even with a belly pan installed???

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Oh Man, I'm so peta on maintaning and cleaning my '03 GL1800,
dusty roads would NOT be for me.................:?

I'd say change your air filter offen.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The engine air is drawn through ductwork from the front of the bike.
I was hoping this was the case, are the intakes the 2 vents on the very front of the faring?

I have 2 miles of dirt/gravel road, plus a 1/4 mile gravel driveway, to travel before I get to pavement.

Thanks for all the help,
Elk Man

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Elk Man,

No, the intakes for the air filter are not connected to any fairing front intake on the Wing.

That being said, I suggest that you get yourself a factory shop manual and Fred's DVDs to perform an air filter change maintenance.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
No, the intakes for the air filter are not connected to any fairing front intake on the Wing.
Huh?:shrug:

·
Registered
155 Posts

Huh?:shrug:
Why the huh? The statement above is correct. The ducts into the airbox are not connected to the front fairing. They extend about 8 to 10 inches from the airbox under the top shelter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts