GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About every two weeks or so, my TPMS light flashes. I pull in to a gas station to check and both tires are down around 30-31. I refill to 38-40 in both and move on, but two weeks later, the same thing. I've seen slow leaks before but in both tires? The bike's a month old. Anything I could be missing?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Get a spray bottle , mix some liquid dish soap up about two inches of soap in the bottle and fill with water and mix well.

Spray the entire tire, valve stems , rims all of it. Sounds like the valve cores or stems, so make sure the stem caps are off , spray the soapy water directly into them.

Wherever it is that will find it.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
:agree: With what they said.Wiggle those valve stems when you spray them too, the force of riding may let them leak when they are fine while stationary.

One more thing, check your tires more than every 2 weeks. You admitted that is the only reason you check them that often.

All sorts of things have revealed itself with a 15 second look and a pressure check.

I hope you find the leak soon.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I've found nails/screws in tires that got so ground down from the pavement that the head was gone, and the remaining part of the pokey thing was essentially invisible when examining the tire.

·
Registered
758 Posts
For ever loosing air

On my 07 from the time I got it the front tire lost 5 PSI per week. I checked with soapy warer repeatedly and never could find a leak. When I changed tires to new ones they never loose air. Can only assume it was a very very slow leak that was undetectable.
Sometimes you have to just ride it out.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
What Kit said. Soak them good and go away for a while. You should have a nice foam clump where the leak is. If it is just diffusion through the tire, you could fill them with SF6 (sulfur hexafloride) which is a very large inert molecule. I did that with a basket ball back in the mid-80's and it is still inflated!

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Get a spray bottle , mix some liquid dish soap up about two inches of soap in the bottle and fill with water and mix well.

Spray the entire tire, valve stems , rims all of it. Sounds like the valve cores or stems, so make sure the stem caps are off , spray the soapy water directly into them.

Wherever it is that will find it.
:agree: Good solid advice here!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
337 Posts
:agree: Good solid advice here!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

When you're done, you might want to scrub the tires down with clean water and a scrub brush. soap on a tire on a rainy day might not be a lot of fun when it comes to wet traction.....:cry:

·
Registered
17,033 Posts
When my bike was new, similar experience and found both stem cores to be really loose. You can get a valve core multi tool at any auto parts store. The core should be only snug, not tight. I do not believe any air passes through the intact carcass, but seeps around the bead seats is way too common. Soapy water or even Windex spritz all over the tire and core (cap off) and wiat 10 mminutes. There will be a "beard" of bubbles growing at the offending site(s).

prs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts