GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used dyna beads for the last 5 years now with no problems,untill I check air pressure on my trip to Newfoundland,a bead got in the valve stem core and I lost all the air,I took the core out of the stem and got the beads out of the core and reinstalled core and then went looking for someone with a air bubble,one of the campers had one so it all work out,needless to say I don't want to go thrugh this again.There is a valve stem core that Shinhopples sells that will keep this from happening but they will not work on the 1800 valve stem because of the 90% elbow. Does any one have a fix for this problem? Has anyone put straight valve stem in 1800 wheels and if you have how hard is it to check air pressure?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Very timely topic for me, I just received my order from Shinhopples today( extraordinary service above and beyond ) consisting of the Dyna Bead kit and two Patchboy 90 degree valve stems. This issue of clogged Dyna beads has been in the back of my mind. I'm basing my decision to use the Dyna Beads on the number of riders who have or are using them. Next year I WILL get the Centramatic Balancer system, but for now I'm giving these a run for their price. I'll be watching this thread with interest.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Yea back when I used the little beads .......Rocky came up with some type of pipe cleaner screens or something, you can silicone those over the valve stem inside the wheel.

I always had a ROF though, so if it lost air, not a big deal, just ride it to the nearest gas station.

But some type of small screen glued over the stem inside the wheel would work.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Dynabeads - $9.00
Slime Air Compressor - $15.00

Never worrying about losing air due to stuck bead plus lots of extra gas money in the pocket - Priceless

·
Registered
939 Posts
Dynabeads - $9.00
Slime Air Compressor - $15.00

Never worrying about losing air due to stuck bead plus lots of extra gas money in the pocket - Priceless
:agree: Need to carry a compressor anyway in case of a flat.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
When I check air pressure, position valve higher than 6 o'clock and tap stem prior to checking.
Wouldn't you want the valve stem at the 6 o'clock position so when you tap the stem the beads fall back into the tire?

And how do the beads get stuck in the valve stem in the first place? Don't they roll around on the outside, against the tire?

·
Registered
262 Posts
While at WD33 in Knoxville, there was a booth with a different type of beads for tire balancing. Not sure if they are better than Dyna Beads but you can decide for yourself.

http://www.tirebalancingbeads.com/

These folks have valve cores that have little filters on the ends so the beads don't come out or clog the stem while checking air pressure....and they are shorter so they will fit in the GW 90 degree valve stems.

I bought a kit from them but have not installed them as of yet....cause I got Dyna beads in my E3's right now!

:cool:

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
Wouldn't you want the valve stem at the 6 o'clock position so when you tap the stem the beads fall back into the tire?

And how do the beads get stuck in the valve stem in the first place? Don't they roll around on the outside, against the tire?
Exactly. For the life of me, I don't understand how this happens.

·
Registered
250 Posts
When the stem is around the 12 o'clock position as the beads start to fall from the top when you slow/stop, that's probably how it happens.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I used to use Dyna beads but without much luck. I beleive it was due to what sealant my installer used because I would get one heck of a vibration in the front wheel at slow speeds (beads stuck to sealant?). My Honda service guy suggested Motorcycle Dynamic Balancer & Tire Sealant found at http://www.ride-on.com/motorcycle-formula-mot.html
He installed this liquid for my trip from Edmonton, Alberta to Dawson City, Yukon and I am impressed how well it worked.
I do not have pressure sensors in my wheels although the site claims it is TPMS friendly.
On a side note: check your compressor before any trip. I bought one when I got my bike and never had to use it. On my last trip I wanted to top up a tire and when I hooked the compressor hose to the valve stem it let out the air. The hose was cracked due to sitting in a wound position all that time. Good thing my buddy had his.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Exactly. For the life of me, I don't understand how this happens.
Generally happens the first month or so after a new tire has been installed. I think the tire lube gets on the valve stem and maybe during a good bump on the road one or two of the beads stick on the stem and the lube holds them there.

Not sure exactly how they do that either. As the beads do just roll around the outside of the tire, normally.

I think putting them in through the valve stem and a bit of tire lube does the trick.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Stuck valve stem

This just happened to me twice on my trip out west, once 2 days ago, once this morning, NO THE SLIME COMPRESSOR DID NOT CLEAR THE VALVE, in fact it was when I was putting in a pound or 2 on each occasion that it happened, those small compressors do not have the power to blow them out, fortunately for me I had some valves packed from last years alaska trip in my tool stuff and it worked out, I have 2 valves left and do not plan on checkin my pressures till I GET HOME in 2000 miles, FYI FOLKS NO MORE BEADS FOR ME!!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Never had an issue with my 2010. 10000+ on the new stones with beads and always check pressure 2 to 3 times a week always with stems @ 6 oclock. The oem 90* TPMS stems have no issues.:thumbup:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Beads used to get stuck in my rear car tire with the OEM stem. Never in the front. Hovever they don't get stuck in there now that I have a bolt on aftermarket stem. I don't understand. I just accept. They also install better in the aftermarket stem. Just one of those inexplicable things I guess.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I ran beads for 3 years with factory stems with no trouble at all. This year, new tires and now running air soft BB's. BB's are a lot bigger in diameter so no way they can plug the stem. Only swithched to BB's due to cost factor.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
To answer the OP's question....this is the valve stems I've been using for years. Tightens from the outside, is only about an inch high, and have never had an issue with beads getting stuck in a core. Maybe it's the Nitrogen?? :popcorn:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just food for thought and my own opinion:
Update on my last post...a few Kms later:
I've used Dyana beads front and back then went to Ride On in the rear. With both of these so called balancers have noticed abnormal wear. Rear tire with proper inflation and one up riding wears flat within 6,000 Kms (3728 miles). I run Bridgestone's on my '07 and aggressive in the twisties so very surprised with the tread part of the tire wearing flat enough to warrant a tire change. Up here in Canada Bridgestone rear tires are +$300.00 not including installation. Was looking at Centeramics but the cost is a hindrance.
Started thinking about these so called balancers:
How can they be superior to the old fashionioned wheel balancing?
Besides the abnormal wear I experience I get a low speed wobble then realized (was one of those dumb#$% moments) these so called balancers operate on centrifugal force. They need a required speed to work.
I want a balanced tire for all speeds so will stick to the old fashioned way where I can get more mileage out of my overpriced Government duty induced tires.

·
Registered
899 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts