GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have pondered going with either one but have decided to do it based on the new washing maching I just purchased.
It's a front load and when reading the manual it talks about if you hear a small rattle when starting the cycle it's just the ball bearings used to balance the drum during the spin cycle. When the cycle starts it is off balabce for about 4-5 rotations and then the bearings do their job, it spins at 1100rpm and is so smooth, unbelievable how they work, seeing is believing.

I'm sold that when I put on new skins this spring I'm going with one brand or the other, not sure which yet.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I'm cheap so I went with the beads. Used them now for 3 or 4 tire changes and have had no out of balance issues. I get 15-17k out of my E3's with no cupping.

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
Different strokes for different folks - and all those other sayings. I'm cheap and prefer to spend my money on other toys or farkles. I've been using beads for a very long time, have no issues, reuse them when change tires and also use them in my trailer tires. Centramatics are good, I can't bash them, just don't want to pay the price for them.

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
:agree:

·
Registered
502 Posts
I too used the beads but then I switched over to Centramatics best move I have made, yes they are more expensive but once there on that's it you forget about them, and they seam to balance out the tires better then the beads with no cupping at all and that matters much to me.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Beads for me. Just drill a 1/2" hole in the tire before having it changed to collect them in a cup and reuse in the new tire.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I use both on my motorcycles, and could not tell the difference between the two on my wing, with that, I personally would not pay the extra money for the centramatics, for best result, when I install new tires I have them balanced and then install the beads to micro balance the tires, it's like riding on glass.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
I too used the beads but then I switched over to Centramatics best move I have made, yes they are more expensive but once there on that's it you forget about them, and they seam to balance out the tires better then the beads with no cupping at all and that matters much to me.
Plus 1

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
How do beads affect tire pressure monitors?

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I use the beads, they work great .. I do not balance with lead weights

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
How do beads affect tire pressure monitors?
Does not effect them in the least. Extremely low mass per bead, and TPMS is on inside of rim, beads are on outside.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I asked 3 dealers and they all told me they wouldn't cover any warranty involving the TPMS system if I used the Dyna Beads. I went with the Centramatics and I'm happy but my pocket is lighter. Easy to install. I had used the Dyna Beads on my VTX 1800 and was happy with the results running E3 tires.

Ruston, LA, Alexandria, LA and Lafayette, LA are the three dealers I talked to.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
:agree::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I never ran the beads but putting the centramatics on made a noticeable difference in the ride even though the front tire was balanced less than 4 K before I put them on & had no sign of cupping at the time. They don't require any extra work since I would remove the front calipers before changing tires anyway to keep from damaging them. They are more expensive but I am happy with mine & don't have to worry about the beads getting into someones tire machine or all over their shop floor making me unwelcome. In my opinion they are a better buy than any purely decorative farkle and will last as long as you ride a Goldwing.

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
I chose to try the Dynabeads first and have been pleased. My concern with the Centramatics is adding more unsprung weight to the front wheel. However, a lot of folks are pleased with the Centramatics. Dyna Beads is a cheap and easy fix that worked well for me. Helped with the front end wobble and dynamically balances the wheel, which seems to make a lot of sense to me.

·
Registered
905 Posts
bought my Centramatics over the weekend .. looking forward to installing them and some new brakes just as soon as the weather warms up enough to work in the "unheated" garage.

So, I'm wondering if the Centramatics relieve both cupping and the dreaded Goldwing wobble .. ??

I guess I'll find out pretty soon as Wednesday is suppose to hit 52 !

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
What is the cost of the centramatics VS the beads?
Where do you get either of these items??

1 - 20 of 21 Posts