GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the right way to get the beads in a new tire? Can I just throw the package in or go through the stem once mounted?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Both are acceptable but I prefer removing the beads from the package versus just throwing the bag in. It just seems like a neater job to me.

What is the right way to get the beads in a new tire? Can I just throw the package in or go through the stem once mounted?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Some say throw the package in and some say not to. I would just mount half the tire on rim and then rip bag and dump them in and mount the other side and your' done. Going through the 90* TPMS valve stem is easy too. I put on a 20" clear tube on stem and filled it with beads then gave it a blast with a rubber tipped air gun and 'BAMB' they was gone. :thumbup:

Recomended 2oz in front tire and 3oz in rear tire

·
Registered
3,610 Posts

I prefer to put them in through the Patchboy metal stem. That way there is less chance of them getting stuck to the lube they use while mounting the tire. I use 2 oz. in the front tire and 3 oz. in the car tire on the rear.

:popcorn:

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
Placing loose Dyna Beads into the tire before the tire's beads are fully seated to the rim is asking for trouble. The magic beans are tiny and very likely will get in between the tire's beads and rim's bead seats resulting in chronic slow loss of air. One sure way to install them is to fully mount the tire, make sure there is no air loss at the bead seats and test ride to make sure there are no wobbles that will require a dismount and re-mount, then plut the magic beans in through the stems. Other than the slight risk of needing to demount/ re-mount due to improper bead seating, just dropping the special packets in should be fine too because those packets will rupture very soon during use and that little bit of plastic remains will do no harm. If you buy the beads in bulk or the regular packets, wrap the correct dose in toilet tissue and place that in the tire before seating the tire beads, the toilet paper will self destruct very rapidly and only leave a tiny trace of residual paper dust along with the beads.

I prefer to add only air to my tires and balance with the OE type weights,

prs

·
Registered
546 Posts
Installing dynabeads

I have put them down the valve stem, I have tossed in the bag. When I put the whole bag in buy the time the next change came I couldn't see the bag anymore. I think the whole bag might be a better way because it may give beadlube time to dry or evaporate before beads break out of bag.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Not so sure all the information that I read here is the "Straight Poop". Some tips were good and some were VERY BAD.

Most times in a "Play", it is good to stick to the script and not Ab-Lib!

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.php

Are the bags that the Motorcycle Beads come in self destructible? I don't think so!

Bulldog

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
And from Dynabead's FAQ site:

A: There is actually four different ways you can install Dyna Beads:

• The Applicator method. This is used to install the Standard beads into the tire without removing the tire from the rim. This method is the one most commonly used by first-time Dyna Beads users on motorcycle and scooters, but can be used on any size tire, as long as you use the Standard beads only..
    Although it can be used for any quantity of beads, for larger quantities, the installation speed is much faster with a vibration tool, such as a vibrating engraver.
  • Pour In Method. This method is fastest for installing in new tires being mounted.
    With the tire horizontal on the mounting machine, install the first tire bead over the rim. Cut the top of the bag and pour in the contents into the concave portion of the tire. Make sure you pour the beads on the opposite side of the valve stem. Install the second tire bead over the rim. It's best if you can stand the tire up a little so the beads are on the bottom and the valve stem is at the top. Then simply attach the air chuck and inflate to pressure.
  • Bag in tire. This is a method that has caught on with a lot of customers in lieu of the EZ Open Bag, but uses the Standard Bag. Similar to the Pour In method, with the tire horizontal on the mounting machine, install the first tire bead over the rim. Next, cut the top of the bag completely off with a pair of scissors and place carefully inside the tire leaning upright against the sidewall. Make sure the bag is placed opposite the valve stem. Carefully install the last tire bead. Then simply attach the air chuck and inflate to pressure.

Never place a Standard Bag in the tire without cutting the top off.
  • EZ Open Bag. This is a special bag that has a lightly glued opening at the top that opens after a few revolutions of the tire. Used at tire mounting time like the last two methods, you remove the shipping clip, then place carefully inside the tire leaning upright against the sidewall, opposite the valve stem. Then simply attach the air chuck and inflate to pressure.

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
Bulldog and others;

Tire beads are not seated until that big ole blast of air "POPS" them on. Isn't that true with the new automated mounting machiens too? If you pour the DynaBeads into the horizontal tire with the tire not fully seated, you run a risk of getting the beads in places you don't want them. A properly seated tire does not lose air around the seats and that makes keeping proper inflation much easier. It seems the ONLY air I lose is from the tire gague when checking.

prs

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
PRS,

You are correct.

I have had as little as one DB stuck between the rim and the tire bead, causing an air leak.

BD

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I have just asked the installer to scoop them out of the old tire and put in the new tire. The cycle store ran the front tire on a balance machine, and when they got it going with a little speed they said - no weights needed its perfect.

S

·
0 Posts
Best is to think of it as salt - install the tire then toss the beads over your left shoulder. Done! :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts