GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across this http://www.innovativebalancing.com/ReduceYourWeights.pdf as I was trying to decide weather to remove the old weights or not. My concern is that Dyna Beads, according the manufacturer, don't do much below 35 mph. I was leaning towards leaving the old weights on for that reason since I do a lot of commuting. My take from what the manufacturer says is to leave the weights on. I know a lot of folks pull the weights. Is there any good reason NOT to leave the weights on. I really don't mind them being there and there isn't much weight on either tire.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just put dyna beads on my 2014 that only has 1400 miles on it last nite. I pulled the weights and took it out today and checked it at all speeds from 0-100 . Ops check good! It was smooth as silk. It also had the decal wobble prior to the beads around 40 to 30. It got rid of about 90% of the wobble. I don't think the weights are necessary. ;)

·
Registered
672 Posts
As a belt and suspenders type

I've got dynabeads in the tires. There were placed after having the wheels balanced. Very smooth riding! I know as tires wear the initial balance with the weights may/will change over time. The beads provide a final balance when new and as the tire wears.

Just saying. Too each their own!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Take off the weights and put the Dyna Beads in. At speeds less than 35mph you will not feel any balance issues. I love mine and salvaged them out of the old tires to put them in the new ones. I run 3 oz rear and 2 oz front,

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I am using them with NO weights and don't find it causes a problem.
:agree: for certain, I 3rd and 4th that opinion...take em off!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Had 3 weights on back 2 on front added beads and removed weights , that was many miles ago no issues , when I get a tire mounted I no longer get it balanced just add beads , smooth!

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
There is NO GOOD REASON to remove the weights. The beads will work fine in a tire/wheel assembly that is already in static balance similar to how do in the common situation where the assembly is very nearly in static balance without weights.

Decel wobbles being cured by beads or dynamic balance attachments or even weights is very unlikely. That wobble is typically a symptom of frame resonance in response to a vibratory input. Such input can come from the vibes of imbalance of the wheels, but that input would generally not be very strong at the 30 to 40 mph range unless the balance issue is way out of wack.

As a belt and suspenders type

I've got dynabeads in the tires. There were placed after having the wheels balanced. Very smooth riding! I know as tires wear the initial balance with the weights may/will change over time. The beads provide a final balance when new and as the tire wears.

Just saying. Too each their own!
Get Centramatics, the beads, and the weights and you have belt, suspenders, and Crazy Glue all at once! :)
I have been fortunate in that my tire wear has been very regular on my bikes. I balance my own tires and wheels with static weight and have also checked several very worn sets before demounting and they were all still in balance (criterion being less than 1/4 oz needed to correct). I've stopped checking, I believe the balance change with use is myth.

prs

·
Registered
40 Posts
Beads vs Centramatics

I am using them with NO weights and don't find it causes a problem.
Can you compare the Beads with Centrametics? There is certainly a significant cost savings. Have you experimented with both options on the same bike? Has anyone done such a comparison?

·
Registered
672 Posts
There is NO GOOD REASON to remove the weights. The beads will work fine in a tire/wheel assembly that is already in static balance similar to how do in the common situation where the assembly is very nearly in static balance without weights.

Decel wobbles being cured by beads or dynamic balance attachments or even weights is very unlikely. That wobble is typically a symptom of frame resonance in response to a vibratory input. Such input can come from the vibes of imbalance of the wheels, but that input would generally not be very strong at the 30 to 40 mph range unless the balance issue is way out of wack.

Get Centramatics, the beads, and the weights and you have belt, suspenders, and Crazy Glue all at once! :)
I have been fortunate in that my tire wear has been very regular on my bikes. I balance my own tires and wheels with static weight and have also checked several very worn sets before demounting and they were all still in balance (criterion being less than 1/4 oz needed to correct). I've stopped checking, I believe the balance change with use is myth.

prs
I always Rebalance the tires when installing NEW tires. Seems insane to assume the previous balance weights will match the needed weight and location of a new tire wheel combination. As a minimum, I'd take off the old weights and go with either the dynabeads or centramatics.

All depends on how far you've slid the tires in a NON-abs bike when that jerk pulls out in front of you.....:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
I think we found out that its better for us to balance the rim first before you put the tire on and then again after you mount the tire. If the rims/tires are to far out of balance, the beads won't balance them.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
I always Rebalance the tires when installing NEW tires. Seems insane to assume the previous balance weights will match the needed weight and location of a new tire wheel combination. As a minimum, I'd take off the old weights and go with either the dynabeads or centramatics.

All depends on how far you've slid the tires in a NON-abs bike when that jerk pulls out in front of you.....:thumbup:
I would NEVER advocate assuming a previous static balance weight setting would have any application to a new mount! That would be totally nuts. I was saying that I do rebalance newly mounted tires and that I have also check those same mounted tires at the end of their service life and have consitently found that original static weight setting to still have that same tire in balance, give or take a quarter ounce. The weights were then salvaged and the new mounting re-balanced. Skidding the rear is bad form ole chap. ;-)

prs

I think we found out that its better for us to balance the rim first before you put the tire on and then again after you mount the tire. If the rims/tires are to far out of balance, the beads won't balance them.
Well, sort of, and I think you may mean the same thing as I do; which might mean you are kinda nutty too. LOL What I do after the old tire is demounted is to clean the rim bead seats to shiny metal and clean the wheel in general. The valve core and cap are put back on loosely and then the rim is balanced without the tire (I use the same weight I have found to balance the rim during previous sessions. Then I mount the tire without fully popping the beads (almost)and place the assembly on the balance stand to check the tire's true LIGHT spot (Avons are not marked and Metzelers are sometimes marked wrong; all of the B'stones and Dunflops I have checked are real close to true). If necessary I can then push the tire beads away form the bead seats and rotate the tire to match the true light spot to the rim heavy spot that I have marked. Then remove the try weight, seat the beads with two loud pops before balancing with what ever weight is needed to achieve static balance. This method gets you to balance with the least weight possible. The first time is very time consuming, after that you already have your rim marked and the try weight selected. Wheels with TPMS devices take a lot more counter weight, but you can be pretty sure the rim's heavy spot is right there at the device. Slipping a tire on the rim to match the heavy to the light spots is muscle work too. Rim clamps and tire lube is your friend. Is the method valid? Yes. Is it excessively compulsive? I think so. But, my ride is glass smooth without magic beads or Centramatics from beginning to end. I still do this with Avon Cobra tires, but I have come to trust the yellow dot on Bridgestone's.

I think either Centramatic or Dyna Beads would handle any imbalance within Honda's tolerance fairly well. The worse case tire imbalance I have seen on my bike was with an early Avon Venom R rear that was close to the 2oz limit even with my pains taking method.

prs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts