GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I just had two new tires put on recently. I put in 2.5oz of dyna beads in the front tire and 3.5oz in the rear.

Now, at speeds between 20mph and 40mph, the bike buzzes. I can feel it in the handle bars, foot pegs and even the seat! As I near 40mph, it smooths out. It is not rpm related. It is significant and annoying.

I first thought it was a tire. But, since it smooths out at 40mph, I'm thinking it has something to do with the beads.

There is water in the tires from the installation. I don't know how much, but when I pulled the valve core, a decent amount of water spit out. I refilled each tire a couple of times trying to get more water out.

Could water in the tire be clumping up the beads? Anyone else have this happen? 2013 F6b, 18,000 miles. TIA

Here is a pic with and without my new trunk, just for fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have dynabeads in both front and rear of my F6B, and have never had any buzzing or vibration. I am using .5 oz less than you in each, but I cannot see that would make a significant difference. The water might well be what is causing the issue though. I am assuming they used soapy water to lube the tire and rim for installation? I would try to figure out a way to dry up as much moisture as possible to see if it would solve the issue, but I have no idea how you could do that short of breaking the beads and doing it by hand.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have used beads for years, now I use Plastic BB Pellets Air Soft s BB's, works just as good and they are cheap.

I have only had one issue because i left the weights on and added just an once and in return a really bad high speed shake, I mean it was violent!

The only thing I have ever seen that will do what you described is the tread but since you have/had water in the tires who knows?:surprise:
I have had tires that growl at lower speeds and you can feel it in the bike... when a tire feathers you can feel it also.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I think you may have answered your question. You should not get any water out of the valve stem. Water will indeed impede the beads from balancing properly.
I would question how clean-dry the air was at the shop that mounted the tires. It is quite possible that the air was full of water from the air compressor. I have seen shop compressors 1/3 full of water because they were never drained. Compressing air heats it up. Condensation builds in the air tank. Air for tires and air tools should be filtered and dry. I'm willing to bet the water is from there.
Even if too much soap was applied to the bead when mounting the tire, it should not be enough to come out of the valve stem.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still have the buzzing problem. I don't even know for sure which tire is the problem (though I believe it is the rear). I tried vacuuming out the beads through the valve stem with a "straw". That did not work very well.

I tried pumping both tires up to 50psi (read somewhere that fixed it). No change. The buzzing is most noticeable between 30-35mph.

I then dropped the pressure to 25 psi, one tire at a time (this is low speed testing). The front did not make any difference. The rear @ 25 psi did help. A little less buzzing and it would quit at about 35mph vs 40mph (smaller circumference at 25psi?).

Here is something interesting. While cruising along at 32mph and buzzing along, if I take a sharp curve without slowing down at all, the buzzing stops completely! It's surprisingly smooth like I am suddenly sliding on ice. It comes right back as I straighten up.

So is it the tread, or does the wheel speed up significantly in a sharp turn? BTW, this is a battlecruise H50 180/65 tire. I bought the tire on line, so returning it is going to be difficult.

Oh, and when it is buzzing, my wag is it is about a 30hz buzz (less than a 60hz hum and too fast to count). The wheel is spinning about 7 revs/second. So, 4-5 buzzes per revolution does not line up with the tread pattern.

Any new ideas from this info? Does anybody think it is dangerous? It is completely smooth at freeway speeds.

·
Registered
828 Posts
water could make beads clump together and not balance tire correctly but doubt they will move/buzz at that speed. Expect it is tire tread, not beads. Doubt it is dangerous but have never run that tire.

Reactions: 98valk

·
Registered
386 Posts
Water can get inside the wheel just by airing the tire up. Water is in the air and it collects in the air compressor's tank. It is possible that someone is not opening the tank valve at the bottom to get the water out. I have worked in places that have air compressors and also have my own with a 30 gallon tank and after every use, I open the bottom valve and let the air out which begins with a spray of water. Most of the soapy stuff used to install a tire on to a rim is minimal and squeeze out or in as the tire is aired to seat the bead to the rim.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I wonder if warming the tire up either by it being the hot sun or with a heat gun, then releasing all the air out of the valve stem (rotated to the up position to keep the beads inside), over and over would clear the moisture from inside? It might be worth a shot. No disassembly. Hot moist air out, cool dry air in.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I'm leaning toward the tire being the issue. I have never ran the one you have, but had lot's of experience with Dunlop's growling. Especially in turns.

You will not be able to vacuum out the beads through the valve stem. Best bet on the bike is to break one tire bead and vacuum out the beds with a hose attachment.

However I don't think its the balancing beads making the noise.

Corventure Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts