GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was playing around with tire pressure on my rear tire.

When the valve core stuck open and would not close.

When I removed the valve core I saw a few Dyna beads stuck in it.

Has anyone else had this problem & what can I do to prevent it?
Thanks,

Dale

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
They told me at the shop that this is a rare, but not unheard of thing. You can either put a screened core in or hit it with a little air before checking. They also said to make sure the valve stem isnt in the exact 6 o'clock position.
Shop owner said it had happened 3 or 4 times since he started to use them and dyna beads are the only way they balance tires now.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Yeah That, I had it happen to me one time, now I just hit the stem with a bit of air, has never happened again.

Kit

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They told me at the shop that this is a rare, but not unheard of thing. You can either put a screened core in or hit it with a little air before checking. They also said to make sure the valve stem isnt in the exact 6 o'clock position.
Shop owner said it had happened 3 or 4 times since he started to use them and dyna beads are the only way they balance tires now.
Thanks for the help.
The tire was in the 6 o'clock I will not do that again.
I will also hit it with the air.

I went to Advance Auto they had never heard of a screened core. any idea where to get one?
Thanks,

Dale

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
FYI If you have 90* valve stems, the filtered valve cores won't fit in the stem. Been there, done that.:coffee1:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I lost a tire that only had a few thousand miles on it because of the filtered valve cores. I have the short straight chrome stems and replace both cores with the regular ones.

If you have sealing valve stem caps and a little air escapes when you take them off, check the valve cores and stem carefully.

Just my 3 cents

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i have tire sensors on the value stems

they hold the core open at all times to sample the pressure

this keeps the beads out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts