GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
20,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ready for new shoes(MTs) Thinking about trying the magical beads.

Who has balanced their MTs w/weights and then put in 2 ounces of the beads per tires?

To me it seems like the best of both worlds. Thanks

· Registered
1,122 Posts
Ready for new shoes(MTs) Thinking about trying the magical beads.

Who has balanced their MTs w/weights and then put in 2 ounces of the beads per tires?

To me it seems like the best of both worlds. Thanks
I have not done as you are suggesting but it seems to be that it would be OK. The Dynabeads will only act to fine tune balancing if needed at all.

That said; as a Dynabead user, I see no reason why you would need both. The Dynabeads inside my Bridgestones seem to be working quite well; for me at least. Others may have a different opinion.

· Registered
20,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And the other observation is that many bike dealers have spacers for balancing the front wing tire, but fewer even balance the rear tire for lack of proper spacers.

· Smoky
1,190 Posts
lean,
Save your money. Take all the weights off your rims and throw them away. Put 2 oz. of Dyna Beads in and go ride and enjoy :smile:! I've used them in front and rear wheels with beads only for over 17K miles with no problems. JMHO!

· Smoky
1,190 Posts
lean,
When you have the tires mounted on your wheels, make sure to tell whomever you have mount them, to be careful and make sure that they do not slop the tire lube inside the tire. If they slop it inside the tire, the beads can stick to it and could cause an out of balance problem. It is nothing to fear but a little care should be taken with the tire lube. I have had the beads in three different tires with no problem because the tire man was careful with the tire lube. Just tell the person mounting that you are going to use the beads and the importance of keeping the lube out of the inside of the tire.
Enjoy the magic of the beads :smile: !

· Registered
608 Posts
Dyna Beads

I put DB in my last set of E3's......16k later, no front cupping, back is howling some tho, glass smooth riding. Don't take this wrong.........be sure to empty them out of the plastic bag:lol:

· Registered
17,884 Posts
laen;

opportunity to experiment is knocking at yer door.

Get the new sneakers and new tire valves and traditional balance with clip on weights. Be objective and keep notes. Ride the bike to know all is well. Mark the weight positions and remove them. Ride the bike to see if you can tell the difference -- may not be so much what you "feel" as it is what you see in mirrors due to vibes. Now. clip those weight back on, but place them 180 degrees WRONG. Ride the bike to get a feel and mirror check agian. Now add the magic beans through the valves, but leave those weights intentionally misplaced. Ride the bike and see what you can see and feel. Remove the weights and ride again. If you desire, replace the weights to their rightful positions and get on with life. But let us know. That is my battle plan, if I decide to try the magic beans, but no new shoes due for quite a few whiles.

prs

G

·
I rode with the DB in the rear E3 for six months. Ran smooth up to 80. Didn't go any faster than that. Now with the CT and beads ran smooth at 95 MPH. I'll be staying with the beads.

· Registered
20,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:doorag:I have the new Metzlers on and balanced. They are smooth as glass. I should have the beads this weekend . I will mark the weights and remove. And install the magic beads. If they run smooth I will leave the weights off and be a happy camper, and report back

· Registered
17,884 Posts
:doorag:I have the new Metzlers on and balanced. They are smooth as glass. I should have the beads this weekend . I will mark the weights and remove. And install the magic beads. If they run smooth I will leave the weights off and be a happy camper, and report back

BUT IF you do that, you still will not know if the magic beans really work. Go the extra yard and ride the bike AFTER you remove the weights and BEFORE you install the dyna-beads. If your Metzelers are smooth as glass without any beads and without any weights, then you still will know the truth. That is why I encouraged you to then place the weights on opposite of the correct locations to see if you could force a rider detectable imbalance. Then add the magic beans and see if they cure the intentionally induced vibes. Then make your decisions to use belt and suspenders, belt alone, suspenders alone. After all, all of that is a great excuse to get out and putter around on the bike. harrrrrr

prs

· Registered
801 Posts
Dyna beads and tire repair

If I have a flat, I'm going to try to repair with sticky rope and pump it back up. I'm going to replace the tire as soon as possible; but in the meantime, would Dyna Beads be a problem with the sticky rope covered in that glue sticking into the tire?

· Registered
2,316 Posts
:agree: ditch the weights ;) you won't regret it :thumbup:

· Registered
2,316 Posts
If I have a flat, I'm going to try to repair with sticky rope and pump it back up. I'm going to replace the tire as soon as possible; but in the meantime, would Dyna Beads be a problem with the sticky rope covered in that glue sticking into the tire?
to answer your question, I would think so, the beads may collect on the plug & knock the wheel out of balance.
Prior to installing my new Cobras I polished the rims inside & out w/ Bushes aluminum polish making the rim as smooth as possible, so far the beads are great.

· Smoky
1,190 Posts
copilot,
I have not had a flat while running the Dyna Beads but I have read on this board of another member that has had a flat while using Dyna Beads. He stated that he used a sticky plug and ran the tire for 2 or 3K mile after plugging and had no out of balance problem. He said that when he removed the tire that there was a small amount of beads stuck to the sticky rope but never had an out of balance problem. Maybe he will read this and chine in!

· Registered
20,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well first of all thanks to Bulldog for getting these magical beads from New York to Houston in 3 days. My tires ran smooth as silk with Traxxion and new Metzler with weights. So I was hesitant to try. I marked the weights and removed poured in the magical beads and road to Cabelas and back via back roads. 350 miles and it runs smooth as glass. So the beads must work. I will keep the weights just in case. I am not an engineer but I have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express and I think these things may actually work. I may order some for my trailer wheels and cars.

· Registered
750 Posts
beads

I am with Pidgeon Roost: Remove the weights and do a long test ride. You might be surprised how great the ride still is. You might THINK the beads were already installed.

Then, put the weights on opposite and try to force an imbalance. Go for a long ride. The ride may STILL be smooth as glass. You might have to keep adding wts to force the imbalance, but eventually you will notice the vibrations.

Then add the beads and see if they correct a known imbalance. Until foks start doing it that way to demonstrate the effectiveness of beads, I will continue to think they are just snake oil (IMHO).

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.