GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my tire changed today and found out my sensor was cracked. The tech ended up breaking it all the way off. After some thought I have to agree with him doing that. I wouldn't want the sensor to totally break away and just be flopping around inside the tire.

So after lots of thinking of how it would break and staring at the sensor I finally noticed where Dynabeads had worked their way in-between the sensor and the valvesteam. In the picture you can clearly see where about 15 beads were and with them there the pressure eventually cracked the plastic.

I won't stop using the beads and at the same time I won't replace the sensor. Hopefully tomorrow the weather will be good enough to give the time to totally disable the Honda TPMS.

So folks, just be aware that this is a possibility if using Dynabeads and the Honda TPMS.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Ray, nothing is impossible but if I were a betting man I would put my money on the guy that changed the tire as the one that broke the sensor.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
My thoughts are that the beads weren't the culprit. But hey, like you say, anything is possible. FWIW, from the last I read, the single biggest cause of TPMS transceiver failures were tire changing technicians.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Yep the tire guy did it. Easy to do, even a metal stem will hang the bead or catch the tire tool sometimes.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Ray.I suspect the tire guy too.When they first came out in 09 there were quit a bit of threads about tire guys at dealers breaking a TPMS unit when they changed a tire.:22yikes:

The worst part was no dealers were stocking them and the customer was then screwed until they got a replacement sensor ordered.:wrong:

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I personally don't believe that the tech did it. You can see where the dyna beads got in-between the sensor and the metal.

Either way in the end its no biggie for me. The Honda Tpms is worthless in my eyes. And if you remove a sensor the system doesn't know so I don't have a blinking light or anything indicating an error. Showing me even more that the system is worthless.

·
Registered
267 Posts
+1 on the tire changer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I personally don't believe that the tech did it. You can see where the dyna beads got in-between the sensor and the metal.

Either way in the end its no biggie for me. The Honda Tpms is worthless in my eyes. And if you remove a sensor the system doesn't know so I don't have a blinking light or anything indicating an error. Showing me even more that the system is worthless.
Most gadgets are. I have a new Jeep and it has one of those things. It kept going off, I wasted two trips to the dealer to mess around with it. Still going off.

I would check and double check the tires, all cool.

Took me a few days to get a manual and figure out which wire went to the display panel.

No more problem one snip of the dykes.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Tire changer+1
While I have no use for the beads(they don't seal punctures and RideOn does)using common sense would tell one centrifugal force is at work on the beads when the tire is turning. I can't believe any would jam that area, let alone break a sensor as shown!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Of course, if the sensor was cracked, you would expect dyna beads to get in there anyway. It's the old chicken or the egg debate!!! I am not a big fan of TPMS. My experienc with my first one was in my Lexus. Every time the light went on it turned out to be the TPMS not the tire!!!! Very expensive items in a Lexus. I finally disabled it and I am very happy with the way it doesn't work.:eek: I check my tires regularly.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I'm thinking that the tech broke it dismounting tire and sensor fell into beads and static sucked the beads into the void where metal stem was. I would think the beads would never incounter with the sensor because the sensor is on the inside of the rim and the beads due to gravity and cyntrifical force will run on the inside under the tread part of tire.

·
Vendor
17,367 Posts
WHY??

They are noisy & ugly on chrome wheels.They get in the way to clean the wheels.Ahhh not today.:thumbup:
I'm still old school. Have to seach for a dealer that has Honda weights when it comes times to get new hoops. The one I used to do, now uses stick-on ones. I am tired of the howl that starts singing around 6,000 miles and that fine vibration that comes through the h-bars.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I used the beads for about two years. I am one to check my tire pressure each morning so more than most I had a few times the beads would be in the valve stem and cause the valve stem to not shut off during an air pressure check.

The majority of them do sling around the outside of the tire, and that one or two ounces of mass is on the outside of the tire. So pretty sure they did not damage the sensor.

But a few of them can and do somehow get into the valve stem core, and that is on the inside of the wheel, so somehow , sometimes they get up there.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I'm thinking that the tech broke it dismounting tire and sensor fell into beads and static sucked the beads into the void where metal stem was. I would think the beads would never incounter with the sensor because the sensor is on the inside of the rim and the beads due to gravity and cyntrifical force will run on the inside under the tread part of tire.
:agree:

Was at the dealer the other day discussing the new GW TPMS. Counter guy said the replacement sensor is $175. Which if the dealer broke, they would have to eat. Could be the tech is covering his butt.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Ditch the useless beads . . . Centramatics all the way, baby!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
728 Posts
WHY??

They are noisy & ugly on chrome wheels.They get in the way to clean the wheels.Ahhh not today.:thumbup:
Are you referring to the new centramatics that are polished stainless steel? OR the originals that are painted black (which I do tend to agree with you on them being fugly on any wheel chromed or not). I sure wouldn't spend the kind of money on chrome wheels only to put on the black originals...:yes1: Just sayin'

1 - 20 of 32 Posts