GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I remember reading a post a while back that someone on this board has used them, with good results I believe. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
19,849 Posts
You would have to put the beads on thru the tire bead in that they are too big for the valve stem

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Anyone using the match grade airsoft BB's in lieu of the Dynabeads?

Saw the airsoft BB's at our last gun show. MUCH less expensive than the Dynabeads.

Example: (of course you would not need this many)

http://www.shortyusa.com/airsoft.ht...l?II=896&UID=1233430629-209.183.51.43&CA=&RID=
I may be interested in something like this. Some have reported problems with Dyna Beads fouling their valve cores. Yes, filtered valve cores are available, but it seems as if they will not fit in my aftermarket valve stems (82-degree type).

Hmm.....0.28 gram BBs......that's about 100 BB's per ounce. 4000 BB's for twenty bucks.....that should treat about 20 tires, or about a buck a tire. Installation of these 6 mm diameter beads is not a problem for those of us brain-damaged enough to change our own tires.

Note that some other common weights for these 6 mm BBs include 0.12g and 0.20g. Assuming you put 2 oz. of BBs in a tire, that means you will need about 200 of the 0.28g, about 280 of the 0.20g, or about 470 of the 0.12g BBs for each tire.

I'm assuming that more BBs is better for better balancing (more "fine-tuning," if you will).

There is little doubt in my mind that the physics behind Dyna Beads is valid. My main concern about these plastic BBs is their resistance to structural breakdown. Geez. I'd probably try steel BB-gun BBs (think Daisy Red Ryder), but I've seen those get rusty when exposed to moisture.

Questions: How durable are these plastic BBs? Is one weight typically more durable than another? Has anyone tried these in their tires?

TIA!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Spending $12 to improve a $20,000.00 motorcycle sounds better than experimenting with a product that was never meant to be used that way. Bet you won't even save all that since i don't know of anywhere they will sell you 2-4 ounces of the soft bb's

good luck and good shooting

keep the wheels turning

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
JMHO! I think with the heavier BB's, at slow speed there will not be enough force to keep the BB's from bouncing off the wheel, thus damaging the wheel under prolonged usage. Cheaper, yes! The dyna beads will not do any damage.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Some of you guys have no sense of adventure or curiosity. I'm going to mix the BB's with the the Ride-On already in my tires. If you don't hear from me again....it did not work.

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
Beads are ceramic and won't break down from constant abrasion. Can you say the same thing about BB's made with the cheapest alloy available???

Bradford

·
Registered
153 Posts
has anybody tried using a different brand of balancing compound. When I got my Kuhmo mounted at the local good ole boy shop they had some called magnum plus in stock all the time. I believe it was like 10oz for $10

·
Registered
262 Posts
The thing I don't like about the larger beads is the momentum they carry, which fights the small and constant corrections they are meant to make.

From a pure physics or engineering perspective the smaller the balancing particle the better until other forces come into play such as static charge or surface adhesion which cause the partials to clump together or to redistribute themselves in a non-corrective geometry.

From a physical properties perspective, the tougher the better. You don't want the particles to deteriorate to the point that their size causes the 'other forces' mentioned above to come into play.

The Dyna-beads seem to balance size-toughness requirements.

On a practical note nothing will tell us if the larger beads will do the trick as well unless we have we have an in-service test. That's why we have engineering trials.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Bingo!

The thing I don't like about the larger beads is the momentum they carry, which fights the small and constant corrections they are meant to make.

From a pure physics or engineering perspective the smaller the balancing particle the better until other forces come into play such as static charge or surface adhesion which cause the partials to clump together or to redistribute themselves in a non-corrective geometry.

From a physical properties perspective, the tougher the better. You don't want the particles to deteriorate to the point that their size causes the 'other forces' mentioned above to come into play.

The Dyna-beads seem to balance size-toughness requirements.

On a practical note nothing will tell us if the larger beads will do the trick as well unless we have we have an in-service test. That's why we have engineering trials.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Some of you guys have no sense of adventure or curiosity. I'm going to mix the BB's with the the Ride-On already in my tires. If you don't hear from me again....it did not work.
Marv, sounds like a BRILIANT IDEA :eek:4::eek:4::agree::22yikes:

G

·
Been there done all this , yes they will work . There have been a number of different mediums used over the years inside of tires for balancing . The ceramic beads seem to be ideal and appear to be used the most .

If cost is an issue guys , do your homework , the Dyna beads are not proprietary . They are used for other purposes in other Industries . :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.