GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Vendor
22,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don Guhl is looking for someone to bring him a bike that he can put on a dyno and do some ECM testing on. If anyone is interested, please contact him. He is in Ephrata Pennsylvania. His phone and contact info is here: http://www.guhlmotors.com/contactus.html

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,743 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the results of the ECM reflash.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the results of the ECM reflash.
Same here, would really like to get rid of ridiculous speed limiter. Don Guhl is the man for this job. Had experience with his re-flash work on two bikes and the results were top drawer.:smile2:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hey Fred,

Will this allow people to flash new fueling maps? I've found that on my yamaha the low rpm range was really jerky due to Euro emission requirements. Flashing a new fueling map really helped smooth power delivery and make the bike much more manageable. I know that the GW is pretty smooth to begin with, but I also know that having to engineer around Euro emissions comes with compromise.

·
Registered
17,032 Posts
Very interested.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yes, what about fuel mapping?
While removing the speed limiter may be helpful in limited circumstances, better fueling and more power will be helpful all of the time.:grin2:

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
1,071 Posts
Best thing about this? Check that torque curve - completely flat, any speed/RPM. That is FREAKY...

·
Registered
998 Posts
I assume that messing with the Engine Control Module will leave a trace in the software that will void any engine and drive train warranty.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I would be curious to know what sort of power that engine can put out with a small amount of tweaking. I'm not talking different hardware, simply a remap. I bet it is pretty "healthy."
I'm very suspicious that this ECU knows it's on a dyno and holds back. The HP and torque curves are suspiciously identical to the previous engine and this engine is completely different. (Same basic boxer six, but that's where it ends.) Theoretically, this engine should have "gobs" more power than the previous engine.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I assume that messing with the Engine Control Module will leave a trace in the software that will void any engine and drive train warranty.
this opinion has been covered exhaustively...it even shut down a similar thread so lets agree that were all aware of this and this thread is not meant for those that worry about the warranty. personally, id like for the information to flow and not get shut down again.

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you do volunteer your bike, best to do it with a rear tire that is closer to worn out than new. Dyno testing puts a lot of stress and heat on the middle of the tire due to the repeated full throttle runs with the bike strapped down into a straight up and down position. You don't want to do that to a new tire.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would be curious to know what sort of power that engine can put out with a small amount of tweaking. I'm not talking different hardware, simply a remap. I bet it is pretty "healthy."
I'm very suspicious that this ECU knows it's on a dyno and holds back. The HP and torque curves are suspiciously identical to the previous engine and this engine is completely different. (Same basic boxer six, but that's where it ends.) Theoretically, this engine should have "gobs" more power than the previous engine.
I took that to mean that the operator shut it down, not the ECU.

·
Vendor
22,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Fred,

Will this allow people to flash new fueling maps? I've found that on my yamaha the low rpm range was really jerky due to Euro emission requirements. Flashing a new fueling map really helped smooth power delivery and make the bike much more manageable. I know that the GW is pretty smooth to begin with, but I also know that having to engineer around Euro emissions comes with compromise.

Yes, this is the next step in the process. Stay tuned, more to come...

1 - 20 of 98 Posts