GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding in cooler weather 14-48 degrees and when I make a turn the steering is real heavy like the handle bars want to flop over in the direction I am turing. I am woundering if the harder compound in the E3 frount tire is causing this or if I need to retourque the steering stem. anybody having this problem?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just rode my '01 in this morning to work, (22° here in KY) and I didn't notice any difference in steering from a week ago when it was 65°.
Have you tried twisting the handlebars while up on the centerstand? My bike is real easy to twist when on the centerstand.
I keep my 1800 in the garage over night so the bike is 65° to 70° when I start riding in the morning and maybe it takes a while for it to get cold enough to make a difference. If you are noticing sluggishness in steering
maybe it's the head bearings, (do they need repacking/replacing?
Just a suggestion. Don W.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info unfortunitly I have to leave mine out side due to the fact that my RV does not have a garage and the bike gets cold soked. It has been getting around 14 in the out skirts of ABQ

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Sounds just like low tire pressure to me. I also leave mine out at night and it to gets cold soaked.

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I feel like a horses ass I went out and checked the tire pressure and sure enough thr front tire only had 20psi. No nails tier psi was fine last week when I was in Tucson and temp was 78. Thanks

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
8)

COB,
Ya gotta pre-flight it like ya do a bird, I check my tire pressure probably 3-4 times a week especially when the weather has the 20 degree temp shifts. :wink: Makes all the difference in the world plus even tire wear plus the safety factor. 8)
I see by yer profile that yer day job is probably a whole trickier than ridin' a Wing and I would treat 'em the same. :wink:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya not used to the cold weather. in Tucson I checked TP every Saturday I just got lazzzzy this weekend. Have a good Day

1 - 8 of 8 Posts