GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had bid on 3 large items on E-bay. I stopped bidding early and the bidding went much higher.

Today I got E-mails on all 3 items telling me that they will accept my much lower bids as the winning bidder bailed out in each auction.

I forwarded them to EE-bay and it turns out they were a SPOOF. In other words they were fraudulent.

It now makes me very uneasy to use E-bay.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
I wouldn't worry at all about using Ebay. Just use your head too. Ebay warns about this kind of stuff all over the place and even sent out emails warning about it. It's been going on for a long time.

H

·
0 Posts
Sorry on the above post. I used Chefs computer and didn't realize he was logged in. It was posted by me.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I had been watching a BMW bike out of New England somewhere. After the close of the auction the exact same bike and pictures came up for sale within hours out of Canada. I wrote the second seller and ask what the deal was. He said that the buyer had reniged on the sale which did'nt make sense as the second sale originated from a different place some distance away and the second seller hadnt been involved with the first auction. Bottom line - Use common sense when evaluating items for sale. I've had good luck so far. Touch wood.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've had mostly good luck with E-bay, but like was already said use extreme common sense.

Dave

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have had far more issues as a seller on Ebay than I have when buying something.

I had one case where my pictures were copied of a 4-wheeler and posted for sale in another auction by someone else. This was while my original auction was still active. I reported it to Ebay and the fraud auction still continued until it's normal end date.

Recently I had two bikes listed for sale and both were bought with the "buy it now" at the same time by the same buyer. Then the buyer said his account was hacked into and it wasn't him....according to Ebay that was what happened and happens all the time. I relisted both bikes and it happened again on one of them the very next time....different buyer buys with "buy it now" and then says his account was hacked into. It took over 2 months to get my money credited back from Ebay. Needless to say it also took a LONG time to get the bikes sold because the auctions would get almost to the end and then that would happen. After lots of investigating it turns out that this has also been going on for quite a while on Ebay. People hack into other Ebay users accounts and then go through and end several auctions that have the buy it now feature. There are reports that they have done this to several thousand auctions in one night.

Be very careful with your passwords, change them often and if you sell on Ebay don't use the buy it now auction on an expensive item especially if you have it listed as a featured item as I did.

There is a ton of fraud that goes on with Ebay and they aren't very good at dealing with it. They also have no live person you can talk to for customer service no matter what your issue is. It is all done via e-mail.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I hope you didn't click on a link in the emails to forward to e-bay! Also something to watch for, spoof reporting doesn't require your username or pasword.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
NEver had an issue, but I would also never buy anything over $250 without SPEAKING to the seller and getting a feeling for what's going on....
In other words, I won't buy anything over $250 or so from Ebay....

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Watch out for a 2004 red trike. Someone has stolen the pics and posted fraudelent ads on ebay at least twice that I have seen in the last 3 days. Both were canceled by ebay.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Wingriderz said:
Evilbay.
:twisted:
"Mother" Ebay!!!!11 :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

:lol:

·
Registered
227 Posts
ebay fraud

when I am bidding on a large ticket item.I email and call the seller to get permission for someone to go and look at the item and its condition.This cleared up more than one fraud,they never returned my email and the item was taken off immediatly.The old saying"If it is too good to be true,it probably is "is very valid.The real true deal,is a fair price for a product.I just completed a $3600 deal on ebay,it went as smooth as silk,because I hand delivered the money after viewing the object,protect yourself as well as the seller.John

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
And I know some people get attacked for pointing out poor grammar and spelling, but I consider it very important in actions and email correspondence. (I'm not talking about a misspelled word or two.)

I got my first GoldWing on Ebay in 2003. I didn't call the owner but I had several emails back and forth. The guy knew English - he could spell and put a couple sentences together at least. And the price was fair - no games. That was $4,000 (GL1200 Aspencade) and my biggest Ebay purchase. It went very smoothly. (This shipping didn't but that had nothing to do with Ebay or the shipper - it was my local Honda Stealership... whole other story.)

Most every scam I've seen has had terrible spelling and grammar. So I usually avoid auctions because of that anyway - but bad spelling and grammar make it easy to recognize just about any scam.

·
Registered
552 Posts
PunkinWing said:
NEver had an issue, but I would also never buy anything over $250 without SPEAKING to the seller and getting a feeling for what's going on....
In other words, I won't buy anything over $250 or so from Ebay....
Ditto... I always ask the seller for a phone number and call them up personally and feel them out. I then do a reverse lookup to make sure the phone number coincides with where the seller and the item is located.

I bought an almost new pick-up at the beginning of the year. I was high bidder for an extremely good price. Then the seller himself out bid me and jacked up the price. I knew it was him because he wasn't smart enough to change one part of his user ID.

I let him sit for about a month, then e-mailed him and asked if his pick-up was still for sale. He said the high bidder backed out and it was still for sale... duhhhhh. I made him a real lowball offer and he countered so we met in the middle.

I ended up getting a 2005 Joe Gibbs limited edition chevy silverado with every option available for only $21k. The pick-up only had 10k miles on it.

A buddy of mine flew me over to Carlsbad NM to pick it up. I went to pay off his bank loan and the loan lady told him that she hoped he had learned his lesson. He was upside down about $10k and had to get another loan to cover the short fall.

I love E-bay... there are some smoking deals if you know how to play your cards.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Closetchef said:
I had bid on 3 large items on E-bay. I stopped bidding early and the bidding went much higher.

Today I got E-mails on all 3 items telling me that they will accept my much lower bids as the winning bidder bailed out in each auction.

I forwarded them to EE-bay and it turns out they were a SPOOF. In other words they were fraudulent.

It now makes me very uneasy to use E-bay.
I've had quite a few of those emails hit me recently as well. I just delete them. If I bid on something and and get overbid, the auction is over as far as I'm concerned. I have all eBay.com emails going to my junk mail pile just because I know every email I get from them is scam. As everyone else pretty much states, common sense and paying attention to those hairs standing up on the back of your neck can keep you clear of the issues.

And there are some deals too good to be true that work out every once in a while. I got a pair of chrome header covers (lower rear cowls) for $70.00, new in their original sealed Honda Parts box. It took a couple of emails between me and the seller before I felt comfortable enough to bid. But that was three years ago.

·
Registered
348 Posts
WNGNUT said:
They also have no live person you can talk to for customer service no matter what your issue is. It is all done via e-mail.
Imagine the shock when our eBay sales manager received a call from an eBay account representative this week. She was very apprehensive at first, but confirmed his phone number as an eBay number. She told him she thought eBay was run by robots and computers and didn't actually have any people working there! He told her to call anytime she had any questions or concerns. I guess they notice you if you spend enough over a long enough period of time.

Maybe I ought to auction off his phone # on eBay! :lol:

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I've got a 41 Pontiac that I need side trim clips for the fenders. I saw two different auctions on ebay, and won both, but one of the auctions had another bid high, so it cost me more. In my feedback, I mentioned that I liked the clips, and wish they had more. Not long later, another auction came up for the same clips. I just sat and watched that one, and no one bid on the clips, including the bidder that had bid me up.

Not saying the seller bid me up with a friend, but it did look mighty suspicious. I'll wait to see if they come up again. I've had generally good luck both buying and selling since '97.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I won't ever use Ebay again.. if you have any trouble with any fradulent
purchase or sale... you are on your own.. no one to talk with PERIOD...

cosmic

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I've bought quite a bit off Ebay...guitars..amplifiers, cameras...and lately stuff for my Wing.

I was really leary about buying a spoiler from a guy in Thailand, but his feedback looked good. Bought the spoiler for $135 and it was at my house in about 5 days. I didn't even buy express shipping. Spoiler was beautiful and perfect paint match.

I don't think I'd ever buy a vehicle on Ebay unless it was close enough for me to go over and check out in person.

Ya just got to be careful.
Dep

1 - 20 of 26 Posts