GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the E/C super white foglights that mount to the cowl using the 4 pronged cage and 4 springs. I have not been riding lately due to job loss but have been cranking the engine up and letting her warm up a couple times a week. A few weeks ago I heard one loud bang and after searching I could not find a cause. A few days later I backed the wing out of the garage and one of the springs fell out. I took the cowl off to find the spring had melted thru the plastic. I used the soldering iron left over from the kit to melt the plastic and make another hole. Today, again while letting her run a few minutes, another loud bang on the other side and another spring falls out. Anyone else had this problem and if so is there a fix?

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
You may have not had the holes low enough in the cowl for the springs to hold enough plastic. You could try and make other holes lower down if the springs will fit lower or use some stiff wire for the springs to hook to. I though about the possibility of the springs pulling through the plastic when I installed mine, and went a little further down into the plastic than what the instructions called for. If worse comes to worse, lots of riders replace the cowl with chrome ones and may have the old one laying around and would sell it to you to start over with.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Had the same thing happen, JB weld and a small nut did the trick.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had the same thing happen, JB weld and a small nut did the trick.
Great idea! I did have the mount holes almost as far down as possible. Thinking about it some more, I wonder if the heat from the headers makes the springs hot and that is what melts the plastic when the bike is setting still and no air flowing thru?

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
You also might want to give it a quick rev to make sure that you don't warm to the point of an ECM reset. I had another issue and this was one theory that Lewis suggested. I don't think that it's a header problem, but mine melted the cowl

·
Registered
101 Posts
EC Fog Lighting

I went to Local hardware store and purchased 4 smaller springs that are smaller in diameter and give a great hold on the liights. Not quite as large as the originals and doubled them up in case one breaks. They are also stainless!:cool:

I live in a semi rural area. We recently had a new

neighbor call the local township administrative office

to request the removal of the DEER CROSSING sign on

our road. The reason: 'Too many deer are being hit

by cars out here! I don't think this is a good place for the deer(s)
to be crossing.’:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the EC lights myself and like them, but the mounting system is a bit squirrely! I have not had this problem yet, but can see where it is almost inevitable at some point. :eek:4:

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Why would this hurt anything? :shrug:
I'm not sure that it does. When I had issues with mine it came up as a possibility while talking to Lewis. I always start my bike and let it warm up while I get ready (it's cold blooded!) and it was a theory that we were looking at. My amber covers melted, the paint on the cowl pealed, but the springs never let go. When I warm up the bike now, I just give it a couple braps and I've had no more issues. Not sure what the issue was, but Lewis is a far smarter guy than me so.........

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
I have not been riding lately due to job loss but have been cranking the engine up and letting her warm up a couple times a week.
Doing that is not really a good idea in the first place.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Nearly 35,000 miles and I haven't had a single issue with the EC lights except getting one broken by debris from a truck.

I don't let it idle, crank it up, back it out and gone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts